fuel distributor question problem | FerrariChat

fuel distributor question problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RedF355, Apr 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    okay, i have a 1982 308 GTS/i. My fuel distributor have a plug on the side that has a wire that is not attached and is jumped. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump runs all the time. when you un-jumper that bosch plug that is unplugged and jumpered the fuel pump does not run, hence the car doesnt run. when you plug the plug back in to where it goes on the fuel distributor, the fuel pump runs when the key is on but the car will not run. it will start and die. So, can someone enlighten me to what it does exactly and is it an problem? Car also appears to be excessively rich, though have had several that appear so in the past. car has new exhaust and cats.

any thoughts or advice would be greatly apreciated. The car does run well, other than eye tearing fumes after driving for a while.

thanks a lot.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's a problem if you have a bad wreck, with the Driver unconsious, and fuel shooting out at 75 psi from a ruptured line.

The weird thing is you must have something else either wrong, or modified, because the fuel pump should run with the key "on" (and the engine not running) only if the 2 pins in that plug are not jumpered together (and the fuel pump should only run during starter motor cranking, and not run when the key is "on", if those 2 pins are jumpered together). IMO, you should first confirm:

1. That relay H (the fuel pump relay), located at the leftmost end of the bottom row is of the ...113 type,

2. That relay P, located at the rightmost end of the bottom row (the translation was extremely poor, "relay for start injector", but it is really "the relay controlling the fuel pump relay") is of the ...101 type.

If those are of the right type relays, try using different ones temporarily from other functions. Try a search on "safety switch" or "blue safety switch" for prior threads explaining how the system should work.