Fuel hose replacement | FerrariChat

Fuel hose replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Dec 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I replace the fuel hoses already quite some time ago and caught most of it on micro sd. Now don't scatch behind your ears now while watching.. ..or perhaps one should? :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LCofRMA-dI[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's some ugly hose, but great info in the video.

3. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Very nice video and commentary, I will be doing this same job next week, just wondering where you sourced your fuel hoses for the tanks, and to the fuel pump. There was a couple of comments that regular fuel hose won't last due to the fact that these hoses are constantly submerged in fuel. I don't want to do the job twice ( least of my worries, FUEL LEAK!!) Thanks again for the excellent job!

Mark Van Lake

4. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Dec 28, 2014
    I'm with you on that. The fire problem seems to just come out of the blue, even on well maintained cars.

It would be interesting to know what failed on the car that you linked to.

Anyway, here's a tool to consider along with a fire extinguisher.

One for the Cab and the other for the Coupe. Both have seatbelt cutters.

7. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Tijn and Wade. I think I must include a fuel hose replacement/upgrade into the maintenance/service for next year. Sounds very silly, but until I saw those pictures, I hadn't really "clicked" with regards the proximity of your little loved ones to a very hot engine bay with fuel hoses running through it and either nothing or a fabric roof sitting in-between.

P.S: Be interesting to see how UK laws would class that emergency knife. I may have to carry a copy of that newspaper article to justify its existence in the car! Looks very Rambo like! But great idea Wade, thank you.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi MvT, not watched your video yet but put it into the 'How To' thread here Matey.
    I'm doing mine very soon also even though they look fine.
    We are using the Ferrari all over Christmas and whilst with relatives I've been doing some of Katos little niggles. As usual Kato is going like a rocket! Took some folks down here at Goodwood on a large private road and took full advantage of the slippery conditions, it was Kato sideways rally style, absolutely fantastic fun!

9. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    What was the diameter of the large tank to tank hose, and did you buy it at the same location?

Thanks again!

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :D Goodwood is nice so I have heard! I see you keep Kato in ultimate condition :cool: TaxTheRich style? Last time they took a wakeboard behind a F50. Lots of snow where I am now. I sure would want to follow that avantage here too!

sorry for the late echo.. That one was genuine as it was only 25 bucks and anywhere else more expensive plus shipping. Not sure what the diameter is by heart. I'm 1500 miles away ice fishing so I will have a look in the weekend.

11. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #11 bigeasy, Jan 9, 2015
    Changed out my fuel hoses as well when dealing with my fuel sending unit repair. Hoses didn't appear to be "past due" so to speak, but a closer exam. proved otherwise. If you haven't changed your fuel hoses, better put it on your to-do-list, and buy a good fire extinguisher! See pics.

12. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Looks a lot like my old hoses. Hoses rot from the inside out, so external appearance is no indicator of condition.

My thoughts on this are very simple:

1. Consider the Scuderia Rampante kit for filler neck hoses, crossover hose, fuel pump hoses. It's pricey, but the quality is really outstanding and it is very easy to work with. It comes with Breeze clamps that are designed not to pinch the hose.

2. For low-pressure vapor and fuel return hoses, consider any modern barrier-lined fuel hose that's rated for alcohol exposure. Check the detailed spec. sheets for anything you are considering. There are many to choose from. Also, some fuel hoses for other applications carry ratings for withstanding fire exposure, I went with these.

3. Don't ignore the high pressure hoses with the overbraid. They will likely be just as bad.

4. If you're using screw-type hose clamps, consider all stainless construction. Many clamps marked "stainless" only have stainless steel bands and use zinc-plated worm screws. All-stainless clamps are available from industrial, marine, and aviation suppliers -- but I've never seen them in an auto parts store.

IMO, replacement of these hoses is a must for any of our cars. Cheap insurance.

13. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    In stead of shelling out 450.00 for the silicon hose kit, IMHO the Aeroquip steel braided fuel hoses are much better, stronger, and FAR cheaper. 10 an hose = 5/8 20 AN = 1 1/4
    I put them on all my Vintage race cars, never had a problem even with racing fuels

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jan 18, 2015
    While leak testing the coolant system (after tunnel tube hose replacement) I noticed a slight fuel leak coming from a pressure return line. See wet hose in the photo below. So, my next project is to replace all fuel hoses to include vapor hoses.

Note: the hose positions shown in the photo are not in accordance with the manual i.e. the right two hoses are reversed.

15. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #15 bigeasy, Jan 18, 2015
    Installed the replacement hose between the tanks, and from tanks to fuel pump. None to soon by the shape of my previous hose condition. They look more like pics from my last colonoscopy then fuel hoses....