Fuel tank IMPLODE issue: which valve is stuck bad? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel tank IMPLODE issue: which valve is stuck bad?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jun 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    possible and surprisingly common

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ever seen this kind of thing before?

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Railway tanker at 23 inches hg

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was wondering.. do you get the CEL under deceleration or acceleration? If it's under deceleration with no throttle response, that *might* be a condition where the valves serve as a decal valve and lessen the vacuum intake from the engine...

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#30 24000rpm, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    um.... I got cel all the time, doesn't matter if I accelerate or decelerate.

If you design a machine to read whatever value, like horsepower, I would imagine that it could show a little decrease. But for a human, i can't notice any difference between this car and a healthy one, driveability wise.

the collapsed tank must be shaped from a long period of time before I acquire this car, I'd say more than a few thousand miles and the previous owner just chose to ignore both the CEL and the noise.

Remember my post about the smart CEL delete by covering inside the instrument panel with tissues? That's from this car. Unfortunately, in china , we don't have many laws for car sales fraud and the law enforcement here is next to nothing, except for aggravated violent crimes.

What is a "decal valve"? From my understanding, are you trying to say that the valve isn't faulty?

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Can you expand on root cause, etc.? Are there any PM's that can be done to minimize the possibility of this happening?

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Meh just an idea... When you press on the gas pedal, the engine revs and it sucks in air to combust it and then ejects it out the tailpipe. When you take your foot off the gas but the engine is still turning air is still being sucked into the engine but isn’t being combusted. In some of the cars I’ve had, there was a valve on the exhaust manifold that sucked in air from the engine that mixed with exhaust air to prevent overpressurization. Otherwise called a Pcv valve... wasn’t sure if the system was in essence replacing it’s function... it was just a thought.. :)

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

just fix any cel that comes up, that'll prevent all catastraphes like mine.

Owning these cars for all these years, little by little , I become to realize that ferrari engineering are just great, they give you all precautions before any big problem or danger. But people just ignore it

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i see. the pcv valve is usually at the valve cover. both my 300zx and my lincoln town car has the pcv at the valve cover or intake mani.

My guess, Ferrari has it too, it just isn't called pcv valve , it is a pipe that connects both valve covers. When you use a 24mm or 15/16 inch wrench to remove the oil pressure sender, that pipe will get in the way, so I made this crooked wrench, see leftmost in the pic.

But how that hose works in lieu of 2x pcv valves is a mystery to me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yup you're right and if they're the same part number they should function identically. One should not be open and the other closed! :)

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Now i have another problem that might be related to the deformed gas tank.
    At gas station, the fuel nozzle just clicks back every 1 second or less.
    I would think if the fuel tank is deformed in a way that block the fuel nozzle's pouring action, it would prematurely stops the gas nozzle. But upon a little more inspection, it isn't so deformed. I have replaced the system with known working on/off valve, known working 2x small purge valves, known working multi-functional valve and a known working charcoal canister and I blew pretty much all hoses/pipes of the anti-evap system and make sure they are not blocked.

Now I am puzzled again.

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Just a thought, have you considered installing a cheap remote Vacuum Gauge
    like the one pictured here with the gauge in the car and the sensor wires run redneck style roughly through the top of the hatch
    and into the car through behind the driver's door?

This will give you more data especially since you could move the sensor around

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24000rpm likes this.
  15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

that's a good idea. So that is to make sure there's no more "huge vacuum" while driving , right? This won't solve the gas nozzle click back problem, i believe.

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I thought that historically, this was the result of failing rollover valves..

Skidkid likes this.
  17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Back in the 80s before the computerized Evap systems they have today, there was basically a gas tank vent hose to a charcoal canister and a purge valve to the intake. When that line got plugged many gas tanks got imploded if power changes made to the car required a more powerful fuel pump.

Yes, this setup is to monitor and endure you fix is working ie, that you don't go too negative.

18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

trying to remove the fuel pump, no avail. it was stuck !
    and the pump's structure rod is broken. see the big concave inside. my gawd!
    the top surface of the fuel tank is somewhat warped as well, as it is so difficult to put screws back to the top plate.

now. the fuel level indicator on dash obviously will always having 3 bars because it was stuck there.

I called it a day. I think i'll not replace the whole tank until the fuel pump leaks and breaks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Hey are you sure it isn’t just a blocked vent to the gas tank itself? That would explain why the gas shuts off and why the tank might collapse.... and why it takes a while for the vacuum to form. Not sure how the vent works on the Ferrari, but might be on the gas cap or near where the cap closes. Not sure how the codes work, but if you clear them, then start it up, does the code come up right away? Maybe try starting the car with the gas cap off after you put the pump bits back together.

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the collapse's cul prit has been found, its the 2x small valves. the clicking gas nozzle is part of the problem of the deformed tank since it won't allow gas to pour in in a fluid manner.

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Pic,?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

pic of what?

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Never mind I see diagrams above ..was originally asking for a pic of the valves that you replaced

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

24. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

It sucks that you had to go through his, but it is a very interesting thread.

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

thank you for the condolence. this one is actually not that bad. Actually it is pretty straightforwards. as all things are pretty mechanical, you can see it, reason it, etc.

What really sucked and still sucks, is that my CS's misfire that i've been chasing for more than 2 years now! I have to live with it!