Fueling Issue | FerrariChat

Fueling Issue

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by CottonTx, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CottonTx

CottonTx Rookie

Oct 30, 2014
    Dallas + Carmel, Ca
    Full Name:
    RsB
    When fueling my FF, I have to hold the vapor skirt in at the nozzle so the fuel will flow. If I press the fuel nozzle in all the way to the filler neck the fuel will not flow. This is probably a vapor lock.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Two handed pumper.

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Had it on my 458 spider. The cure is simple - turn the nozzle of the pump sideways and you should have no problems. Not sure why that works but it did for my spider - hope it's the same for the F12.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Some California pumps just won't work in the Ferrari capless fuel fill. Why? Ask Mary Nichols.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It is the shroud sensor in the fuel pump of course. Ferrari did not make the cap less design proud enough to trigger the sensor in enough of the population of pumps it seems. Sometimes rotating the pump works, sometimes not. Not pump vendor specific either as I wondered initially. It is a design miss on Ferrari's part to make it work as intended in a large population of gas stations and pumps. The government didn't mandate this inconsistency at all.

I like that the designs went cap less but Ferrari should have tested against a larger population of pumps and adjusted the design. The design fix is to provide a spot that is proud of the fuel insert sufficient to trigger the sensor cutoff switch in the fuel pump handle to engage while fueling. There is an obvious I consistency in the fuel pump design where the same vendor's handles work and not work in the same gas station!

But in changing their design, Ferrari put the customer in the middle of this without vetting to how bad this can be in the real world. We have to now deal with this. I find this quite often and rather than hold the fuel handle, I have to squeeze the shroud of the fuel pump against the handle for the fuel to flow properly.

I've been meaning to try a simple fix to see if it will work but haven't had a chance to complete the experiment...

SV

5. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Anything wrong with a fuel cap? Worked for 100+ years? Who ordered the capless crap?

6. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    A couple of simple solutions for those of us with this problem were suggested in another thread; http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ff-f12/425217-gassing-up-f12.html

Turning the nozzle of the pump seems to work rarely for my FF. The Plumbing piece works perfectly. Hubbell 1408B4 Bushing, Plastic, Threaded, Rigid/IMC Conduit, 2-Inch, 4-Pack - - Amazon.com Also available at your local Home Depot, Ace Hardware, or other plumbing supply store.

7. CottonTx

CottonTx Rookie

Oct 30, 2014
    Dallas + Carmel, Ca
    Full Name:
    RsB
    Thanks for the responses and fixes. I'll try the bushing route. In response to the California slams, I have had this issue from Dallas on out to California. It has been worse at Shell stations but seems to be an issue with newer pumps. If it's an issue in Texas, I would think it's nationwide.

8. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I suspect it is a function of specific shrouded gasoline nozzles. I have no problem once I get out of urban areas or out of California.

9. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I believe NO is spot on. Its a specific model/feature of the nozzle that is as fault. In Ca, and I'm sorry to say, a few other urban areas around the country where we've driven our FF (haven't been to Dallas yet, but I can believe they use the same hardware), we find this problem. Never had it happen outside the urban areas, and it seems to be mostly brand independent in LA area.

I think its the vapor recovery system bit and how the little bronze bushing on the filler nozzle that retains that big rubber suction part doesn't allow the filler nozzle to go far enough into the tank on the car to allow the vapor recovery system part to fully engage some micro switch within that vapor recovery shroud that allows fuel to flow. By adding the plumbing bushing around the outside of your car's fuel tank opening, you're effectively raising the height of the tank inlet pipe by just a quarter inch or so needed, allowing the vapor system part of the pump to engage. I've found that I can lay my car key with the fob part on edge alongside the car's tank opening, and that the fob rides just enough higher than the tank opening to engage the recovery system.

10. CottonTx

CottonTx Rookie

Oct 30, 2014
    Dallas + Carmel, Ca
    Full Name:
    RsB
    I thought about the key fob but wanted to keep it in my pocket (no pun intended), especially in a "dodgy" area.
    I wonder if a wadded paper towel would work?

11. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    When you open the fuel door can you guys use your pointer finger to push the metal flap open? Mine wouldn't, then I pushed hard then it did but wondering if I hurt anything? Then I found this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Why is it saying not to push with your finger? I just wanted to test it.

12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It's really windy where I live: confirmed to be the most windy place in the whole country per meterologist. It's always blowing dirt and sand so I would rather just have a cap. Always wondering if the fuel filter is going to get prematurely clogged up

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam