Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fun Poll: "If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to ____"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If I couldn't live in the U.S., I'd want to move to...

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Bahamas/Jamaica/U.S.V.I./Other Carribean

4. Costa Rica

5. Other Central America

6. Brasil

7. Argentina

8. Chile

9. Peru

10. Ecuador

11. Other South America

12. England

13. Scotland

14. Ireland

15. France

16. Portugal

17. Spain/Canary Is.

18. Germany

19. Italy

20. Monaco

21. Switzerland

22. Austria

23. Denmark

24. Holland

25. Sweden

26. Finland

27. Norway

28. Greece / Malta / Bosnia / Other Mediterranean

29. Other Europe

30. Israel

31. Saudi Arabia/UAE

32. Other Middle East

33. South Africa

34. Other Africa

35. India/Sri Lanka

36. Japan

37. China / Hong Kong

38. Korea

39. Phillipines

40. Thailand

41. Malaysia

42. Other Asia

43. Australia

44. New Zealand

45. Tonga/Samoa/Other Polynesia

46. Fiji / Other Micronesia

47. Russia

48. Czech Republic / Eastern Europe

49. Nepal / Bhutan / Himalaya area

50. Singapore

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just bought 35 acres of riverfront prop in Argentina. Going to build a nice big house on it & start a beach resort after Law School. Too bad customs laws & insecurity are so crazy or I'd take a Ferrari down there. Guess I'll settle for some jet skis & maybe a Hummer H1 :)

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I cannot vote, Iraq not on the list.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, you can mark 'Other Middle East.'

Frankly, I didn't put Iraq, Antarctica, Chechnya or Belgium on the list because I didn't want it to be a joke by having people click it to be funny. Just kidding on the Belguim part :D, that I just forgot.

4. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
  5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Man, my 2nd third and 4th choices!

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    New Zealand, without hesitation. They do have high expectations of people who want to stay, though...

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The part of the country I'm from is so totally different than California that to many people here it might as well be a different country. So if I could live in any other country besides American it would be California.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    UK ! London, most likely, or some high tech burb.
    I have been displaced too many times ( I had to learn English, Russian, and French on the spot), so this would not be a high stress move. I could always work right away since I have a dual US and EU citizenship.
    I would probably take a teaching job, and spend the summer months in the tropics to regenerate and lift my spirits after all the rain....

thx
    luke

9. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
  10. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

If NZ is like AUS, they are restrictive in who they let in. You have to have a profession that is valuable to the country. It has been a few years since I looked into it, but professions like teachers, doctors, and engineers would be no problem. For lettuce pickers might be a little more challenging to gain permission for residency.

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I selected Italy because i have family there, and it seemed like a nice place. I do not know anything about what its like to live there as the longest span of time i was ever there was 3 weeks.
    If i actually had to move right now, i would probably pick America, Jr. (canada).

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

There are plenty of ways to get into AUS. They are very lax on their residency requirements compared to US and Canada. Australia doesn't have enough people, and thus are always giving resident visas and invitations to tons of South Asians. Trust me, after 9/11 AUS is the new hot spot for immigrating for Asians. America has been very strict, and Canada under pressure from the US has taken similar measures.

If you are an Asian today, and you want to emigrate somewhere, AUS welcomes you with open arms. Teachers/Engineers do get priority, but imagine how easy it is to doctor documents in these corrupt third world countries.

13. Lucid

Lucid Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    Irony anyone?

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    LOL, Miami is a magical place 1/2 US, 1/2 South America
    I love it :)

15. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I could certainly return to my city of birth - Montreal. However, after having lived in Montreal for about 33 years, I think I have experienced my fair share of blistering cold and snowy weather, so maybe the Bahamas would be a nice change!

16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    ROFLMFAO!!! This is too funny!!

I voted switzerland. But it's a close call with Southern France and northern Italy, or the ex-Yugoslavia coast. Those are some wonderful places. Job-wise, some ex-Yugo countries just entered Europe, there must be some opportunities out there.

17. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Canada or Monaco.

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    So nobody's gonna join me in Cabo, huh?

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Isn't there some Amazon island inhabited by a bunch of man-hating women who, if they see a man, capture him and use him sexually until he dies of exhaustion...? That wasn't in the poll... :)

20. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    NZ has got horrendous problems with the ethnic maori who are attempting to claim most of the country back for themselves, clogging up the jails and trying to introduce their own (warped) justice system, amongst others. It also has a huge pacific island (read third world) population growing at 3 times the national rate that is dragging down literacy/education and the welfare system. It is a nice place, the South Island has great scenery and people but the country is set for some pretty unpleasant times over the next 20 years as it starts falling way behind Australia.

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I think you may have read that in one of those magazines that you should have kept!

To answer the question at hand, I'd have to say Brasil (in case my wife reads this) or Costa Rica.

DL

22. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    I've always had a thing for a Swiss Miss, so you can guess my vote.

Ferraris are cheaper there as well.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, but the first time you have a $90 tank of gas in it you'll cry.

Last summer I took my friend's little Peugeot 4cyl hatchback to the gas station in Zurich, it cost 77CHF to fill up, about $59USD.

24. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I voted Austria...Classical Music center of the world. home to some of the greatest composers in history, and an amazingly beautiful country!! Id love to live with some 300 year old flat in the center of the Vienna...Maybe when I am there in a month I will find my dream home :)

25. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    ROTFLMAO that's got to be the best laugh I've had in years. Guess it just shows you that looking from the outside is a VERY bad way to judge a society.

FYI NZ doesn't have "horrendous problems" with the Maori, we just give them more than most other "conquerors" would. The "problem" has been going on for twenty years, ever since the government created the Waitangi commission to investigate treaty grievances and the Maori have been taking advantage of it ever since. Sure it creates some tension, but most NZers take it for what it is, a big joke. As for the Maori justice system, that has about as much chance of flying as a Kiwi :D and sure they are overrepresented in the jail and social welfare queues, but name me a country that doesn’t have at least one ethnic group that has the same profile.

NZ’s biggest immigrant problem isn’t the Pacific Islanders that have been there for two generations or more, but it more recent Asian migrant population who won’t integrate in NZ society and try and change it to be “just like home”. The average NZer can’t stand that sort of attitude, here you’ve got to one of the boys or you get treated like a pariah.

Besides which we can’t send the islanders home or we’d lose all our good Rugby players :eek:

Unpleasant times as it falls behind Australia, don’t think so, I work in Australia for most of the year and I can say it’s a great place to visit but I wouldn’t want to retire there. NZ is the only place I would want to spend my twilight years.

Now as to the poll question, as I already reside in paradise I can’t say I want to live anywhere else, but there’s a few places on the list that’d be worth a visit, like Japan and some of southern Europe.

Hmmm, come to think of it maybe James is right, NZ is a bad place to migrate to. Stay away, you won’t like it, the roads are no good for Ferrari’s and if you can’t speak Maori then you won’t be able to survive. That should scare enough of you away so I can keep my own corner of Godzone free of foreigners :D