430 - Fuse tap for Garmin Nav Unit | FerrariChat

430 Fuse tap for Garmin Nav Unit

Discussion in '360/430' started by mjposner, Mar 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Which fuse should I tap to run a small Garmin nav unit? Any open slots that are switched?

Thanks

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine just runs off the 12 volt power socket in the center console. Read up on the power lead as it is part of the live update system.

3. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    I only have one 12 volt and its in the ashtray, its wonky and only works if I press down. Also, would not want to use even if it did work.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Can you list the unused fuses from your Owner's Handbook (behind the seats). I may be able to trace the wiring in the diagrams, but it would be easier for you to just check the unused fuses with a meter.

e.g. PDF11, PDF19, PDF 22? Do you have a spider? If not, PSF17 behind the driver may have key power. Check with a meter.

The maxi fuses near the battery are live battery power. It will be difficult to run wires from the fuse box in the forward luggage compartment.

5. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
  6. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    This is passenger side, no "position available on driver's side (mine is a Spider)

7. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    For me the most convenient was to just tap power and switched from the radio. No need to cut and fully reversible. This was for a dash cam but the same approach applies.

https://italianautotech.com/2022/02/09/cutless-dashcam-install/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mjposner

mjposner Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael J Posner
    Seems unnecessarily complicated. I just have to figure which position available is switched

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The wiring diagrams are not giving me any clues.

PDF2 rear fog lights? On a US car? Anyway, it's live battery
    PDF11 ???
    PDF15 is live battery

Do you have an active tyre pressure sensing system? PDF 26. Oddly, it seems to be turned on by the Motronic ECU (which in itself it turned on shortly after the ignition is turned on)
    PDF19 has a similar control, but the wiring diagrams seem to show it as being used.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PDF9 is the stereo fuse (cigarette lighter, parking sensors, mirror control, fuel tank flap). Maybe you could tap into this. Unfortunately, because the fuseholders have covers, you can't really add one of those plug in wire taps.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Precisely why I went the way I did. There is no “clean” way to do this from what I could find….

It’s really not that complicated. Not more so than also having to now route the wire behind you to the fuse box and having to actually tap into the harness itself.

Qavion likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have an adaptor plugged into mine with 3 outputs, the sat nav cable runs the windscreen, otherwise tap into the interior light as it only takes a few watts