FXX "World Tour"!! | FerrariChat

FXX "World Tour"!!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by RTB, Jun 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    "Join the Army and see the world" used to be the recruitment hook, but they probably didn't mean Baghdad and Kabul back in those days.

However, being very trivial by comparison, not meaning to brag, and just wanting to share my great experiences, for me it has now become "Buy an FXX and see the world".

I am writing this at around 5am (local time - jet-lag....) from my hotel room in Shanghai having just arrived here this morning to take part in this weekend's Asia/Pacific Ferrari Racing Days at the Shanghai International Circuit with the FXX.

I have not yet seen my FXX here in China, but it wasn't at Maranello last weekend, so I can only assume that it has arrived.......!!

So that brings me on to the "FXX World Tour"!

My first trip this year was to Bahrain in February - two days free running on the F1 circuit. Totally awesome and fantastic hosts.

The first official European event was at Silverstone 3 weeks ago - great circuit, fast and high lateral Gs, and we were lucky with the dry and sunny weather.

The following weekend I was at Le Mans with my team, Team Modena - difficult weekend but we finished, which is more than can be said for two of the three Audis.

Maranello last weekend was fantastic - an awesome array of classic Ferraris and any one of them I would be delighted and proud to own (although if they were giving them away I'd take the 250 GTO, although my fiancee prefers the 250 SWB!!!).

The fireworks at Fiorano on Friday night were unbelievable - totally and utterly amazing. We have all seen great fireworks at various events, etc, but these were the best I have ever seen.

So that brings me to this weekend in Shanghai. Not much to report yet, apart from the fact that it's a great city and that all the internet connections are very very slow!

I think that there will be 6-8 FXXs on the circuit this weekend, and then we move to Suzuka for the weekend of July 21st - 22nd. Back to Europe for Paul Ricard in early September and then the World Finals at Mugello later that month. The FXX and GTO Evoluzione may be seen at Mugello in early September and Barcelona in October...........

Nothing really to say, but just reporting on the latest of a great year with the FXX. Let me know what you think!

elmadi likes this.
  2. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    PS. Sorry - it's a really long new thread!! I should probably be banned from starting them!!

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes you should be banned :p unless you provide us, non FXX owners, with loads of pics of the backstage of this tour !

Your EVO was beautiful on the pics i saw from Fiorano.

You mention the 62 GTO, do you own a vintage Ferrari ? If not , is it on your list ?

Cheers and looking forward to the report :)

4. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That is a great year! Sounds like a ton of fun. I wish I could participate and could have been in Maranello for the 60th anni. Enjoy Shanghai and continue to give us updates! They are fun to read. The idea of joining Ferrari and seeing the world is pretty appealing to me :)

5. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    #5 RTB, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    elmadi likes this.
  6. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    what hotel has that view? I figured JW Marriott or Grand Hyatt... hotels in Shanghai are among the best i've ever stayed in.

what's more difficult... navigating Shanghai traffic or gunning around the track?

7. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Thanks for sharing the FXX info ,very nice write up ! I must admit that I feel very jealous , but good for you ! It's nice to see that another car freak is playing with great toys - keep it that way coz it makes automotive world so special !

Best
    Tad

8. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    Four Seasons Hotel.

The highway traffic is actually very smooth and civilised, but on all the other roads when the speed falls to below 30mph it is "every man for himself"...... Crazy lane-changing, not looking, ignoring traffic lights etc etc......

I hope that the circuit is more straightforward - the 1175m main straight should be fun............

elmadi likes this.
  9. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    Shanghai is a GREAT city. Anytime to get out and take in the sites? It should be the start if crab season!! :)

elmadi likes this.
  10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Way Cool!!

Gambi!! (sp? "Cheers")

11. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    288 GTO and GTO Evoluzione are the oldest Ferraris I have, but possibly looking for an older GTO........ I'll start looking now and maybe by the time I am 50 I will have found one!

elmadi likes this.
  12. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Did you take the helicopter from the airport? I heard it saves a lot of time in traffic.

13. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    How about a quick trip to Copenhagen on August 4-5th?:D:D They celebrate Ferrari's 60th that weekend at the Copenhagen Historic Grand prix:D

http://www.chgp.dk/english

14. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Or maybe to Mexico..we dont celebrate anything but you will have fun. :D

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

:O WOW..

You look very young , do you think it will take that long to find one ?

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    RTB stays in the dark for...how long? and then all of a sudden a huge "guess what I did this summer!" lol I love it!

Best
    Jon

17. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It wont take you 15 years Rik, well maybe it will, but I am willing to bet someone 1 billion dollars that if i could find an owner who would sell it to me for 100 million dollars, then I'd keep the other 900 mill. What a business man I am

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Sounds like a terrific weekend in China - best of luck with the FXX. Enjoyed the chat at Fiorano last weekend. Hoping to see you in Braselton in the fall.

Regards,
    Carol & John

I have a couple threads in the racing section dealing with the 60th Anniversary celebration.

19. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    #19 RTB, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, the weekend is over now and all the 7 FXXs ran well with no incidents.

Shanghai is a cool city - well worth a visit, and the circuit development is enormous!

The track itself is very challenging, which has been very hard work in the 35 to 40degree heat! Our Chinese hosts, Asia-Pacific Ferrari, and all the FXX crew have been magnificent.

And a 1-2 in the Grand Prix - the perfect end to a great weekend!

The pictures aren't great quality - taken with my laptop!

Suzuka in three weeks time!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi likes this.
  20. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    so nice, love the blue

thanks for sharing

21. Skiutah

Skiutah Karting

Jan 31, 2006
    Park City / DC
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ainsley
    Wow, thanks for ruining the Grand Prix result!

22. CHADW

CHADW Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Thank you for sharing an amazing experience.

Did you know what you were getting when you signed up for the FXX vehicle purchase? I have heard that buyers were not told of the FXX experience until after purchase.

23. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan

WOW thank you for posting your pics/experince! What else is on your collection of cars besides the FXX, 288 GTO, and the Evo?

elmadi likes this.
  24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Sounds like a great weekend - thanks for the photos. BTW, congrats on your second place at Nurburgring today.

Carol

25. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for sharing!!

RTB - Any idea if any of the FXXs are going to stop by Hong Kong for a display??