FYI - My Complete Electrical Failure | FerrariChat

FYI - My Complete Electrical Failure

Discussion in '348/355' started by vracer, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    On Nov. 19 I posted the situation; I just got around to trouble shooting.

The battery had come loose & moved forward in the battery compartment. When it did that, it twisted and loosened the positive connection. It's a major pain to check the battery, but I'll bet I'm not the only one here who has had it shift.

Keep the shiny side up,
    R

Qavion likes this.
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Glad you found the problem!

Keep the oily side down :)

bayferrari likes this.
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nope...but it IS a pain to get to the battery...one reason I went with an AGM, so I never had to check the water level again.

4. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Did you have the lockdown tab on the battery and it came loose?

Such a pain location to get to but at least yours issue was a simple fix.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If the battery is the correct size and you have the factory hold-down clamp properly installed, there should be no way that it can come loose short of flipping the car over a few times.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Kinda the way I feel!

7. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You ain't seen our California roads. FYI, I thought the battery was properly fastened down, but I did do it myself.

After I found the problem and got everything back where it should be, I found some extra wires. I thought I knew what they were but a good friend always preaches, "Measure twice, or three times, and cut once, so I took it to my regular mech to verify. He said that he sees a lot of loose batteries, and that he modifies both the front and rear hold-downs. I went out for a long lunch, and he promised that it wouldn't happen again. (One wire was what was left of an old battery charger, and the other was about 5 feet too long & went up hill & down dale. It was for an amp.)

I strongly recommend the next time you have the right front wheel off - if not sooner, check the battery compartment. I got off lucky.