Gallardo or 360 spider | FerrariChat

Gallardo or 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by solly, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Had a chat with a very knowledgeable Ferrari dealer who I've been using for a while for trackday suport for my Challenge car. He also just became the Lambo dealer for NJ. He told me that the Gallardo would blow a 360 Challenge car off the track with just a tire swap to slicks.

I'm now considering the unthinkable and trading my spider for a Gallardo (and a few $$ back!!). Anyone driven one or own one? I do trust this guy, but a dealer wants to sell, so maybe he hyped it a bit. I know that the Challenge Stradale beat the Gallardo in a few recent road tests, and i know that my Challenge car is faster on the track than the Stradale (in fact i just proved it to myself at Moroso last week on numerous ocasions), so i'm a bit skeptical. Need some feedback.

2. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    OK get ready for some bias opinions here, lemme guess, everybody will go for the 360, except Allanlambo. Either way they are both great cars, and you won't know till you drive them both.
    p.s. 360!

3. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

The spider wins in the looks department hands down IMHO

The gallardo is THE PERFORMANCE vehicle IMHO

4. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You've got to decide what you want in the car.

360Spyder - a great posers car which looks fecking gorgeous and will still be great fun to drive.

Gallardo - less of a looker but a better car to drive.

Balls in your court! :D

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I would have to disagree with you on the poser car. the 360 Spider even if a spider is not a Poser car.
    And although i havent driven a Gallardo , i doubt its a better car to drive than a 360. It might be faster but not more rewarding , or fun or thrilling.

Thats the weakest point of the Gallardo..

6. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
  7. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Solly:

At the Italiafest event in DelRay today there was a Gallardo pretty much "face-to-face" with a 360 spyder.

The Gallardo was the winner - looks wise - hands down. Even the MaMa - who is not a "car girl" thought so. It was far more aggressive and "modern looking" it amde the 360 seem dated by comparison.

I haven't driven the Gallardo yet and - quite frankly - have not even taken the time to read anything about it so I can't offer an opinion regarding performance.

So, my opinion, make Frankie's day and buy one.

Scottie

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Challange Stradale has NOT beaten the Gallardo in any recent roadtests, and in fact, on the only Real Track comparison, the Gallardo killed it.

As everyone might expect, i vote for the Gallardo, hands down. No contest inmo.

9. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    To me, both cars should be evaluated as street cars so speed while important is only one component. I'm pretty sure that the Gallardo is faster but does it provide the same fun when driving on a sunny day with the top down?

I love my spider. Actually, I don't understand why I did not get one sooner! There is no way that I would trade it for a Lambo.

AW

10. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "i know that my Challenge car is faster on the track than the Stradale"

I don't doubt it, but did you drive them both? Just curious about how they compare, having just sold my 360C while awaiting delivery of my CS. Saw you out on the track at Moroso, incidentally, wish I'd had something to drive.

As for the Gallardo v Spider, why not give the Gallardo a try? It's the hot new thing, drive it a bit, track it a bit, then if you tire of it, trade it.

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Question:

Do you like the appearance of the Gallardo?

If the answer is yes, then go with the Lambo. Personally, I don't like the looks of the Gallardo, so my choice would be 360 Spider. However, without question, the Gallardo is the superior performance car.

12. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Solly,

i saw the Gallardo in person for the first time at Cavallino and to be honest with you the car did not impress me with its looks. The front looks way to short and small for my tase and the rear, well it speaks for itself.

I would never trade a spyder with a Gallardo. spyder is just a much nicer looking car. If you are looking for a better performance car then go for it but you will miss the top down experience. good luck either way.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    These questions just get harder and harder. The more i see the gallardo the more i like it. But still it is no Ferrari, and i am a Ferrari fan. The gallardo IMO is the best car to come out of the Lambo doors, and in the same respect when the 360 came out it certainly outdid its self as well. When picking between these cars dont just look at the performance figures. Look at what else you might want in the car be it a resale value or maybe even the shear fact of buying the legend that is Ferrari. This is a incredible Lambo, but even the most incredible Lambo Still is missing that one important aspect. It isnt a Ferrari.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Based solely on the numbers:

360 Challenge 2578 pounds dry 400 HP = 6.44 pounds/HP
    Lam Gallardo 3146 pounds dry 500 HP = 6.30 pounds/HP

Its probably a lot closer than you think: A) if the dry weights are accurate, B) if the HP numbers are accurate. Based on this data, the skill of the driver would play a big part and the ability of the car to be driven at 10.5/10 ths will play a roll.

Now in a road car, the 400 HP with the 360 road car 3064 kerb weight, versus the Gallardo 500 HP and 3146 kerb weight changes the situation (in Gallardos favor.)

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Solly,

i saw the Gallardo in person for the first time at Cavallino and to be honest with you the car did not impress me with its looks. The front looks way to short and small for my tase and the rear, well it speaks for itself.

I would never trade a spyder with a Gallardo. spyder is just a much nicer looking car. If you are looking for a better performance car then go for it but you will miss the top down experience. good luck either way.

16. udalmia

udalmia Guest

agree with you said eli, the barchetta is a fine choice indeed

17. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If you want performance go with the Ford GT if you can find one. The Gallardo is fast becoming passe. The buying public for that sector has recognized the car for what it is...an over the top little brother of the Murci. Count on substantial depreciation. Symbolic Motors in La Jolla has three to sell and all at MSRP. Typically, Symbolic does not sell anything at MSRP.

18. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Nick
    Actually I Tried and tried to get a Ford GT. I think value wise,performance wise etc that was the SMART choice.
    Hell I even emailed Ford telling them I was a longtime Ford fan,owned 2 original GT-40's 5 original 427 Cobras etc. even gave them a couple of serial numbers and told them to look my name in the Cobra registry so they would know I was REAL.
    Could they please HELP me get
    a Ford GT. Think it did any good? Not only no but HELL no!!!

Hey I can only do business with people who will do business with me!
    Also Nick before you bad mouth the Gallardo DRIVE ONE!

19. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    My comments regarding the Gallardo had NOTHING to do with its performance. They were directed toward the marketing reality the car is facing.Initial impressions are usually good but a closer look reveals its warts. Proof is in how fast these cars are being sold. There should be at least a one year wait. Yet many remain on the showroom floor. :)

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I don't see why not. Get the Gallardo for a different experience with some money back (perhaps). Actually, I'd go for a Murcielago instead.

21. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Nick get over the mentality that says" there should at least be a year wait!". We are just to used to Ferrari and their wait lists. I personally hate this. If I have the money and they are making the car then deliver the car when the customer wants it! Just my personal opinion.
    Audi is proving they can deliver what the market requires NOW!
    Ferrari could take a few hints I would hope.

Yes they just dumped a load into the marketplace BEFORE the
    price increase Mar 1st.If Ferrari Had a load to dump they would do it after Feb 16th. You may well be the case in point.I hope not
    I hate to see this type of price increases when a person is expecting
    one thing and gets squeezed by litterally days.

Audi claims they can produce 5000 Gallardos per year. I personally don't think the marketplace/economy etc could absorb that qty. We'll see.

22. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Your dealer would be only to happy to sell you an Audi Gallardo as - even if you wanted one - all the CSs are sold.

Gallardo: Heavy car, but has some power.Car drives you, you don't really drive the car. Also on a race track all that weight has to penalize you somewhere, right? You'll run out of brakes before you know it. Finally, a true sports car doesnot need or want to have 4 wheel drive. Look at all the real Porsches: none of them keep the all wheel drive system.

Much like any Lambo, you had better love it because once you've got it it's yours. You may get a few $ back up front but at the end of the day it will be more than a few $ to get rid of it.

Ange Barde, 2003 West European 360 Class A Champion is quicker around Magny Cours in his Challenge race car than in his Stradale but says that this is only due to the Challenge car being on slicks and the CS on road tyres. Reckon slicks are worth 4 to 5 seconds a lap. On similar rubber the Challenge car is history. Basis same driver.

My CS has 5000 kms on it and it just keeps getting better. Love to listen to the "non-believers" and then see their expressions when they see the car on a track. After all if it was not such a great car there would not be all the hype!

Keep your Challenge car or get a CS - if only for the CCM brakes - another world.

Good luck

23. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Hey Wayne did you pass on the TT Cab. like I did?

24. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Mitch,

I agree looking at your pounds per hp calculation that it looks close but there is no way a Gallardo can go through corners with the same entry and exit speed as a 360 C (not a CS but a C).

It's easy to look at pounds per hp but on the track weight is the ultimate enemy of fast lap times. A puny little Sepc Racer Ford with a 1.9 liter Pinto engine has a hp to weight ratio of 16.6 (1700/102) which on paper looks like a 355 C with a ratio of 7.8 (3000/380) would be 20+ second per lap faster at most tracks. The 355 C has more than double the hp per pound and should blow the SRF into the weeds on paper.

At Watkins Glen the SRF is only 7 seconds slower than a 355 C (2:04 vs. 2:11). This is on a high speed power track over 3 miles in lenght.

On most tracks the 360 C would beat the Gallardo.

On the street I am sure the Gallrado would be just as fast if not faster on equal tires.

Again, to clarify, I am not talking about a CS in this discussion, I am referring to a full blown 360 Challenge racer.

I just got back from Daytona and the Maserati with a stock engine was setting equal lap times and sometimes faster lap times than the 360 GT's eventhough it was down by at least 30 hp on the 360's. Why? It's lighter than the 360's (I know this is hard to believe but they swear it's lighter than last years FOW 360 GT car).

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

25. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Not only yes but HELL YES!