Gallardo or 360 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gallardo or 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by solly, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    So funny that people have resorted to now argueing about 360 Challange cars, which are not street legal, because they are Race cars, to a Street Car. As a Lambo owner, i speak for all of us, we take that as a compliment, and it shows that for all the baloney that comes out of some of your mouths, you know that Ferrari is severly outgunned.

2. sadly the 355>360 series is outgunned by lambo and others the Maranello really isnt that outgunned the 612 is still compition to some. But I hope the Maranello replacement will shed some light on serious Ferrari performance.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The 575 is completely outgunned by the Porsche 996TT, the Viper SRT, the Murcielago in every aspect, and even several Benz's in acceleration.

4. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Tough decision but think about this.

Gallardo is a first model year car. I dont think it's wise to buy one now. I am sure Lambo(or Audi) will find lots of things to improve it.

Imagine how the 2004 Gallardo will be 5 years from now.

Good luck

5. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, the thing is you're comparing a car that came out 5 years ago (360) vs. one a couple months old. These things always cycle, and it's expected the new car will match or exceed the performance of it's older competitor. When Ferrari launches it's 360 replacement look for it to match or exceed the Gallardo's performance. And the cycle goes on....

Same silliness happened when Mercedes put out their E55 and Audi their RS6. Every Merc and Audi nut was trolling the BMW boards gloating how the new Merc/Audi was faster than the 6 year old M5. Soon the new M5 will be out to exceed the performance of it's competitors and the cycle continues.

6. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I've driven the Gallardo. It's a great car and with the 490+ bhp, I'm sure it's faster than the 360. But the Gallardo is heavier as well and in the comparison tests in Autocar (British publication) the Stradale beats it!!

I find the steering is heavy compared to my 360, I suppose that's to be expected because of the 4-WD and with all 4-WD cars it is slower on the track than RWD cars. Besides the car is "heavy" and it's not a car that you can throw around the track like a purpose built track car like the Challenge. So I think the dealer is making unsubstantiated claims.

But since you already have a track car, buy the Gallardo as a road car. It's a newer car and I think you'll enjoy it for a year or two. But don't buy it because the dealer said it can beat your Challenge, because it can't. A road car can never beat a track car on the track. You should know that.

7. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im sorry, but Autocar, is the worst magazine. They recently timed the Gallardo at 11.7 in the 1/4 @114 mph, while they timed a Porsche Gt2 at 12.8 @128 mph. Their times are completely off. But even in their crazy # land, the Gallardo is still quicker than the 360cs. THE ONLY REAL track numbers are that of Hockenheim where the Gallardo does not beat, it DESTROYS THE 360cs, and the Nurburgring, where the Gallardo beats the 360 by 4 seconds. These are the ONLY TRUE TRACK TESTS, which cannot be disputed. For that matter, the Gallardo beat the Murci at Hockenheim, by 2 tenths of a second, but the Murci destroyed the Gallardo by almost 10 seconds at the Ring recently.

So anyone who says the Gallardo cannot win on a track, is talking out of their a$$.

9. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    Allan, do you have the 'Ring and Hockenheim lap times for the 360cs? I can't find them and am curious what the times are. Thanks.

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    4 seconds over approximatetely 8 minutes at the Ring is almost negligible. Thats less than 1%. That for a car that has 75HP more and is a brand new design. I would say it took Lambo 5 years more to produce a car that is only 1% better around the ring than a 5 year old Ferrari. That's not very good. :)

I'd like to see someone talk out of their ass - that would be a neat trick..

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I would have to agree with this statement. 4 seconds is hardly a significant factor. I bet that a skilled driver, in the same car, running 2 laps on the same day, would differ in lap times by 4 seconds or more. I would have expected a more substantial difference with the additional HP.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    HAha, you guys are pathetic! Now 4 seconds is negligible? Im sorry, but you dont get any prizes for being 4 seconds behind!

Also your arguement is rediculous. The Modena runs 8.09 in the Nurburgring. They have had many years of tweaking and turning to get the car to the level its at. This was Ferraris answer to the Gallardo. The Gallardo came out hitting hard, and it will only get better. By the time the new Modena replacement hits several years frm now, Lambo will have a new version available, to dust that also.

Same thing happened with the Diablo with the TR/512/550/575. Lambo kept one car going, while Ferrari kept updating, replacing, and still losing with each iteration.

13. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Are you talking about the CS? Even so, the CS is just a tuned down Challenge which has been around for a while. Maybe I am wrong but I really don't think that the CS was Ferrari's "answer to the Gallardo." Again maybe I am wrong but since when does Ferrari try to respond to other manufacturers? Is it not the Porsche crowd who is trying to match the Enzo, the Ford crowd who is trying to beat the 360, and also now it seems the Lambo crowd that is trying to beat the 360?

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The only reason Lambo is trying to beat the 360, which it is doing, is because lambo never had a car in that price bracket until now. Otherwise, Lambo had Ferrari licked comfortably, and continues to do so, with the Murcielago.

15. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Allan - Even you cant believe this drivel! Sometimes you crack me up - actually you always crack me up.

The 360CS is Ferrari's answer to the Gallardo - that's hilarious - as you say - LOL. The CS is basically a lightweight version of the 360 with 25 extra HP and better brakes. Oh and its louder. It is called a race /street version of an existing car - sorta stretching out an existing product until the next one comes. It is not Ferrari's response to the Gallardo. Ferrari did not go back to the drawing board and 3 years later say - here is the new XYZ. It is our answer to the Gallardo.

Now even the plain old 360 happens to be a better seller and more in demand than the Gallardo - but that's a whole separate discussion.

Ok = tell me where has the Gallardo won on a track? I know they are fast and can do 1 fast lap, but where have they won. We all know most Lambo's cant last more than 10 laps..

BTW, I like the Gallardo and the Murci.. Its good to have AWD, you never know when its going to snow when you're out in your race car.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Rodsky, get a grip. Ferrari updated the 360 in response to the upcoming Gallardo. The Ferrari 360 has obviously sold more units than the Gallardo, but in the end we'll see what happens. One thing i can guarentee, is that the lambos will go into the hands of true enthusiasts, and not speculators trying to make a buck, which it make it worse for you.

As we all know, the Gallardo has not been raced yet, so again to state the obvious, it hasnt won any races...yet. But it has set a new standard in street cars, which is where you and i drive, and knowing that my street car will OBLITERATE YOURS in any test of power is enough for me.

If you like, we can make bets now that the 360 replacement will yet again, fall behind the competition as soon as it is introduced.

17. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't quite understand why 2 street cars are evaluated on a race track. They are street cars and should be evaluated
    by the driving experience provided on streets and highways. On the track, some important details such as the tires and
    the driver make a huge difference, way larger than 4s

A radical SR3 Turbo costs half the price of a lambo and turns the ring in 7:32. While it is at least 30s faster, it would
    make a terrible street car.

I think that street cars should be compared on the driving experience. Steering precision, engine sound, shifter feel, car
    look, etc... How fast they are really does not matter that much as long as they are responsive.

AW

18. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I just don't get it. How does it benefit you to constantly trash on a car? Do you leave the computer and say, wow did I ever give those Ferrari dudes a good ass-whooping! I think everybody on the board respects Ferrari and Lamborghini. Lamborghini is on its way back and that's great. It's going to be an uphill battle but with awesome cars like the Gallardo and Murci, it won't take them too long. It will take years for the them to equal Ferraris #s but that's not saying that they can't. The air is getting pretty thin up here in exotic land and you can only sell so many cars.

Now onto dispute some comments. The 575 and 550 do not get walked on by the Porsche TT, Murcie and SL. The ring times which don't mean a lot, have the 550 lapping in 8,05 sec. equal to the SV and Diablo GT, slightly slowing than the turbo and faster than the SL Reading magazine statistics is not the only way to judge a car. A 550 can be hustled down a secondary road a lot quicker than a Murcie. I have to also stick up for Autocar. The british car mags put the american mags to shame! Autocar is a top quality weekly glossy with the absolute latest info and tests of cars. The writing and articles are ten times better. Where's our T.V. show with Tiff Needle?? If you really want to talk ring times, look at the 99 Gt3 which is 7,56 for a street car. Now add 20 hp, ceramic brakes for 03/04 and hold on. The Gt3 is down on HP by 120 yet still wins the best car in CAR magazines annual review. And did you also miss EVO magazine from Englands test of all the hot cars for 03 and at the end when the Italian police were asking for papers, the only car they were seriously interested in was the 360CS not the Gallardo.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    First off, yes the British magazines are great, just Autocars timing system is way off. I get every issue of Car, Autocar, Evo etc.

The 575 gets obliterated by the Porsche TT in acceleration, and on track times. The Murci, will ruin a 575. For your 8.05, the Murci recently ran an 7.43 . Obliteration. Lets say the 575 can run the same lap time as a Diablo. Big deal, the Diablo is a 15 year old chasiss design, and the Diablo destroys the 575 in looks, and acceleration. The Merc, is faster than the 550/575 in acceleration, not on track.

I love your analogy of street car to streetcar, then you bring up the Radical. Makes alot of sense. LOL

The police that pulled over the 360 may have been interested in the 360 since the Gallardo was soo far ahead they didnt even see it! And btw, ive been to several car shows, and if its attention your eluding to, any LAMBORGHINI will get more attention than the Ferrari.

20. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.

Yeah yeah, yadda yadda yadda, that's all we are getting from you Allan. Excuses, excuses and excuses. Btw, gives us the link to those track times.

And Allan, the CS was NOT the answer to the Gallardo, again one of your stupid statements that you have created in your head, just like the one above. YOU think the Diablo looks better, not everyone thinks that. Why is it that you take the liberty of talking foreverybody else when you state something? Haven't your momma learned you anything?

21. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Picture tells a thousand words

22. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Steve, before you seriously start to look, can you fit in the car (he's very tall)? If you can, check what your little man thinks :) -- and considering he's in favor of the switch, get the Gallardo and gut it for the track with a full roll cage, race seats and lighten it up..

Regardless of what you do, I want a ride :).

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

The track times have posted here many many times. No need for me to go through it again. I dont offer excuses, only facts. You guys offer excuses, like 4 seconds is nothing to lose by on a track. LOL

Believe me, im not the only one wh thinks the Diablo is a better looking car. It also allowed Lambo to survive for 11 years, while the 550/575 could barely survive half that time.

24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Allan, the ONLY reason why Lamboghini has survived to this day is because it has been passed off from investor to investor in its rather sad and notorious history as a car manufacturer. If it weren't for Audi, there wouldn't BE a Lamborghini.

The reason why Lamborghini had the Diablo for so long is because they could not afford to build a new car. <--this is not something to brag about.

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Back to the original question. From a purely show room stock compairison, I will have to go with the Gallardo. The mini bull comes out of the gate horns first, ready to gore the prancing horse. Now there are kits to improve the nose of the 360, and peformace upgrades that increase power, and are very expensive. But I'm talking about off the shelf right, out of the wrapper, bone stock. Personally I think that the Gallardo is better looking than the 360. The stock 360 isn't very exotic looking, for a car in the exotic class. Yes the Stradale fixxed the 360 a bit in the looks and performance department. But it still is lacking that exoticness. Now the Gallardo is without question exotic. It also has some pretty sizable power to go with it's exotic looks. Now throw in some mods and watch out. But as I said I'm talking stock. The best thing about the Gallardo is the engine. It is a V10! Ferrari is waaaaaaay behind the ball here. Every manufacture is starting to put V10's in thier cars. Dodge was the first. When the Viper got it's V10 guess who helped with the engineering of the engine. The boys from Lambo. This was before Chrysler sold Lamborghini. Now Porsche has their new super car powered by a V10. Ford is gonna put out the retro version of none other than the car that smashed Ferrari, the Cobra. It also is gonna have a V10. BMW's new M5 is getting guess what,........ a V10. The V10 is the way to go. The other plus that the Gallardo's V10 has over the Modena is that it has NO TIMING BELTS! The weakest link in the Ferrari engine is the timing belt/s. So there is my opinion. I wish that I could build as strong a case for Ferrari, but at this time I can't. Oh and about the 4wheel drive. When it rains is when you will be glad you have the extra grip in the front. The Gallardo is just a better car.