Gallardo or 360 spider | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Gallardo or 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by solly, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I saw the Gt40 at Monterey. Not impressed with the style. For some reason looks cheap and plastic. No doubt it will have great tuning potential, but i can get that from Porsche and hopefully the new Lotus.

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You say that we will be able to get one. Can you elaborate? Will they make a lot? When do you think it may be reasonable to expect to get one - for those of us that are not connected to the factory?

Thanks in advance..

3. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Allan:

What about the Jalpa / Silouette / Uracco?

Or were they too long - and too many corporate owners - ago?

Also, if we are talking dollars and doughnuts, the Murci - is in what Ferrari's price range? As I recall, it is more than $50K more than a 575 and less than 1/2 the "list" price of an Enzo.

I do agree, however, that in making a foray into the $175K market, that they had to target the 360 - it would be the closest thing to what they are making. A mid-engined "Italian" (if the Audi/Lambo can really be considered Itialian - it looks and fees VERY German to me) Of course, they designed a car that exceeds the current "competitions" performace figures. Much as, I suspect, the next generation of the "little" Ferrari will be designed to out perform the Gallardo.

I think that it is good for "us" as car fanatics - this kind of competetion improves the breed and provides us with interesting alternatives.

Scottie

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im not a fan of the Uracco, but i like the Jalpa/silouette. Im also not a fan of the 308gt4 in this regard.

Get your pricing straight, a 575M runs right around 250K, a Murci 278,000. Very similar.

By the time the new 360 comes out, im sure it will be outdated as usual.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rod
    First much in the same way that you can buy a Gallardo at MSRP today you'll be able to buy a Ford GT at MSRP sooner than you think.
    There aren't buyers for all of the cars these co. plan to produce in this segment.
    Secondly much like the Viper or the Corvette Ford will produce as many as they can sell.
    This is what they do. Why wouldn't they?
    Thirdly they've told me that they will meet demand and that they allready are working on a second generation Ford GT.
    If you really want one wait a bit and you'll be able to buy one.

6. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas

A 575 with an F1 is 250k. A Murci with e gear is 300k.

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes you are right, i forgot about the E-gear. But the fact remains, if you are looking at a 250,000 car, if you cant stretch to 300,000, you cant afford either of them. This does not hold true for going from 300,000 to 699,000 .

8. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    For once, I actually agree with Allan on this one ;)

9. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Allan:

First, you all must be far richer than me. $50K is a huge amount of money - not juist a "stretch" that I should be able to make from $250K to $300K. In addition, trying to compare "apples to oranges" $50K could go a long way towards making some rather significant performance modifications to a 575. But hey, if you or anyone else has an extra $50K just lying around, feel free to send it over. I'd love to pick up a nice 328 this summer.

My point was that until the Gallardo came out there really wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison between the current product lines of Lamorghini and Ferrari. Between the Murcilago and the 575 it is not just an issue of price and performance, but in the very nature of the car. The 575 is much more of a GT car the Murcilago is much mure of an all out performance sports car. The Murcilago is also $50K or so (and that is how I stated it the first time - even your numbers bear out that figure)more expensive. In trying to compare the Murcialgo to the other Ferrari products the 360 (which is much more of a "sports car" than the 575) is WAY less expensive, the Enzo is WAY more expensive, and the 456 is, well, the 456.

My conclusion was that it was no surprise that Lamborghini chose to target the 360 when they designed the Gallardo - those comparisons were inevitable. They are VERY similar cars in design, layout, performance, and PRICE.
    Thats all. Nothing against the Gallardo. You can scroll way back and see that after seeing both at Italiafest last weekend I liked the Gallardo better. I like its aggressive - albeit, in my opinion, more German than Italian - styling. And of course, a performance bump is a bonus. Also, I stated that I expect - and hope - that the Gallardo's very existance will spur Ferrari into upping the ante on the 360. That would be a bonus, not just for my fellow tifosi - some of whom would never consider a product from St. Agata - but for every enthusiast, as we would have more and better options from which to select from.

Scottie, the person, and Prada, the scottie

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Well lets not have anymore arguments about which is the 'better car'!

In any case if you wait a year or 2 you can buy the new Lotus esprit 460bhp and it looks VERY much like a Gallardo all for £70,000!!

then there is the new AMv8 £70,000 how will Gallardo continue to sell with the price it is?.

In evo magazine comparing the 996tt and gallardo (996 is 40K cheaper)

'on UK roads the lambo is scary fast but leaden in comparison to the 996. The steering is dull.
    On fast sweeepers that you can attack with total conviction in the 996, the lambomcreates an element of doubt. the grip is there but its a leap of faith. in normal drving the 996 feels considerably quicker.

Whilst this is one review I think its clear that this car is aimed at the type of individual who would buy a 996tt not a ferrari.

They alos said e gear was not very good about the same as 360

11. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    360 NOT for posers....unbelievable kick-a$$ car.

Gallardo totally a driver's car...Its #3 on my exotics list now. Looks gorgeous!!

12. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Hey, I've been driving the 360 spider for 2 years now, and definitely don't think I'm a poseur. I have tracked the car and don't own a gold chain or diamond encrusted Rolex or wear my shirts half open or wear pastels after Labor Day.

I'm still gonna test drive the Lambo and the Ford GT (if I can get my hands on one).

MEANWHILE, I'm trying to turn the 360 Challenge into a 360 GT, bit by bit, as the parts become available. Let's see a poseur drive that at speed!!