Garage floor options? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Garage floor options?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Cavallino Aficionado, Dec 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Yes, a nice rubber cove molding would look nice.

I went out on google and did a search one Race deck thermal expansion

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-57732.html

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8340.html

http://www.*********.com/forums/garage-forum/47790-new-strategic-partner-racedeck-garage-floors-2.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/620307-racedeck-garage-flooring.html

BTW, when I was looking for floors, my floor installer reminded me to "mind the gap". The plastic has a significant TC and will expand quite a bit. I also saw a couple of comments on mold and mildew building up when water collects under the tiles.

Check out some of the threads in the discussion groups.

2. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Leave a gap; I have tool boxes, etc at the edges. Covers the gaps.

3. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks Vic and Eric. In looking at all the photos I can find on installs it appears to me that you cannot trim these tiles to fit anyway and be able to add the finish edge. I would be able to cut them (on a chop or table saw) and install the cut edge at the perimeter yet retain the tabs at the drive door entry for the trim kit. Sound right? Thinking I'll draw this up in CAD and see where things want to go keeping expansion in mind. From what Eric mentioned sounds like I shouldn't run this under my base cabinets that have legs?

4. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Here is another link to look at:
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656

Yes, you trim them with a saw or use the finished edges which usually are tapered to the floor with an eased edge.

The floor guy I used to coat my floor really liked the open weaved style of tiles. The reason for the open tiles was that invariably water from the tires will drop through the regular tile and moisture will be trapped under the tiles. The open weave will still allow moisture to fall through, —and now dirt and debris—, but at least it can evaporate. The clean up is with a shop vac. He said regardless of whether you coat it or tile the concrete, water will ruin your installation. Make sure that your garage floor is compatible. In fact, he gave up installing epoxy floors in the PNW due to moisture lifting his floors in the winter. My floor was very dry. I went with the epoxy floor using industrial coatings.

The Racetrack tiles were created because it is a quick, lower cost method to cover up an ugly garage floor. It's expensive to replace a cracked concrete floor, and there are very few options that make the smaller cracks totally disappear. Tiles are a great way to cover a few tons of ugliness.

5. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Brian,
    Hey, I ran mine up to the wall; tool boxes, work bench, etc on top of the floor.
    You can cut them with a table saw at the edges and back wall. Make your first run accross the front of the door so it's a clean line and you can put the trim edge on.

Like I said, if you want to come look at mine you can.

6. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    #31 zxttfan, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    How about quarry tile or an unglazed porcelain tile? They are frost resistant, very durable and slip resistant. You might have issues if moisture seepage though the concrete is an issue, but maybe a product like ditra, or a moisture barrier and then cement board would solve the problem.

7. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the offer Eric. Well guys after popping over and talking with the boys at Griot's I think I'm going to go epoxy in light gray. I'll be painting my exposed stemwall a charcoal gray and will be attaching a 4" trim base at the top of the stem/ bottom of GWB. This will tie my cabinet color in well and know a paint I can use that will breathe needing little prep other than hosing off. The big mess in all of this is going to be moving all my lower cabinets that I finally moved into and mounted this summer. I suppose it will be worth it in the end.

On anouther note, I'm trying to look for a source to aquire some sort of large mesh screen with frame or something I can fabricate. I need something about 10-11 feet tall and 5-6' wide. I want to screen the furnace and water heater from view. It just bugs me and a panel like this can meet code and access needs if needed. Any ideas? It will be painted. Even if they were multiple smaller frames that i can turn on side and attach together.

Brian

8. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    Hello.

this is a question about a garage floor.
    I have a 2 1/2 car garage, with a workshop and my 2 Corvettes.
    The floor is concrete, about 40 years old.
    It is stained, and has several cracks. A summer project I would like to do, is to either paint, seal, or cover this floor.

noe the options

1) clean, seal, prime, and coat in Epoxy Paint
    2) clean, seal, prime and use a garage flooring paint, not epoxy
    3) use one of the many snap together floor system

Now, for one I thought of. The floor is pretty level.
    What would you think of my covering the floor with Marine grade 4x8 3/4 inch plywood.
    Prime the plywood, and paint it?
    I never get water inside the garage in the 6 years I am here. I eliminate the crack fix, and sealing issues?

What has anyone else on here done as far as this is concerned.

thank you in advance.

9. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    If you go that route I would suggest using deck stain and not paint.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If you go with a coating the garage floor will have to be abraded to clean concrete.

11. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    @david thank you so much for your suggestion