Garages | FerrariChat

Garages

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by TBond8, Jun 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TBond8

TBond8 Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    CT,CA, Europe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am considering building a seperate building as my garage. I have done the search here and I have seen pictures of all sorts of garages.

My question is to those of you that have build or redone your garage where did you get the plans / layout ideas from?

Many Thanks,

2. lad56

lad56 Rookie

May 16, 2006
    Burlington Wi.
    Full Name:
    Larry A. Dawley
    I have built a few garages. I have found that you can never build it big enough.I would definetly consider hieght and truss design in an effort to incorporate a car hoist.These have become very inexspensive and will allow you to change your oil,rotate tires ,just check overall condition of your cars or just offer additional storage by putting one car up and one down.You know one can never have too many cars. Your house design may have an influence on the exterior design of your building, you may often have building codes which may or may not reqiure a variance.Two garages I built have a garage door out the back.This allowed me to close off the front doors to the street and open the rear door to the yard where my young kids were playing while I worked in the garage.Heat ,water and electrical, I.E, 220amp service should also be a consideration when designing your new garage.I would suggest that you look at Morton buildings for design , function and appearance.If you care to discuss this in more detail I can be reached at 800-338-5420.

Regards

Larry A. Dawley

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I just started the construction for an additional 6 car garage at my house. The existing 4+1 was way too crowded to keep the Ferrari in. I am an architect and had been thinking about the best way to add garage space for voer a year. You can do the same thing, then bring your ideas to a local architect. Also go to some local open houses in the very high end developments (or just drive around to see what you like the look of). Go for it!
    BT

4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I don’t know but if putting in lifts make sure if you need 220 service. My garage is also wired for a welder but most people don’t need that. Lots of outlets for your power tools unless you like fighting with extension cords.

Will the garage be heated and/or AC? I like having both heat and air. If l want to work on the cars it doesn’t matter if it’s freezing outside or hot as blazes. Also, it’s really nice to get in a warm car when it’s below freezing outside.

Make sure you have a regular door in case you lose electric power.

We built a two car detached garage at the lake house. It was 20x20 and adequate but it was on a rolling lot so that’s all we could build. Suggest you put in a security system integrated with the house.

It is really nice to have a utility sink with hot and cold running water with a hose hook up so you can wash your cars. If you want to wash the cars in the garage make sure the floor is sloped properly and have adequate drainage. We put a large drain in the middle and it works great. Best to wash cars out of the sunlight.

If you are going to detail your car in the garage make sure you have plenty of lighting. I don’t think you can have too much. Windows and/or skylights are good too. Nothing is as good as natural light but direct sunlight on the cars is not good.

I prefer separate doors for each car. Have enough space so you can open the doors without hitting anything. Most cars have three garage door buttons. I know my 458 Spider and Audis do.

Our garage has an overhang which can serve as a carport for one car and is great if you want to wash a car outside.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Make sure one of the bays is an RV garage. 40-50 ft deep, 15+ feet wide and similar height. Tons of space and it will help with resale as boat/RV parking. Even as a play area for kids as it's so large. Do HVAC + insulated walls for that. Just saw a model home last weekend with that setup in AZ and it's very popular apparently...I had no idea.

Manda racing likes this.