Gearbox filter with stuff in it | FerrariChat

Gearbox filter with stuff in it

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bovien, Sep 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bovien

Bovien Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    My 550 gearbox has had a tendency to having a bit of resistance going into 2nd and 3rd, most pronounced when cold. I've seen some videos with people shifting quite quickly, this would never be possible for me.

So did an oil change to the Shell stuff and there has definitely been a colour change :)

But found this in the filter. Thought it was metal shavings but it's quite soft and mushy. No metal at all in the filter, just a tiny bit of sludge.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Any idea what this can be?
    And how does your gearbox feel?

2. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #2 Timmo, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Found the same thing in mine. Almost had a heart attack until I realised it wasn't metal. To me it is just assembly paste. That it is still there after all these years means the filter had probably never been taken off before.

Mine shifts fine in 2nd when cold but not quite as well when warm, and that is with new oil after flushing properly the gearbox and oil cooler. I have noticed that the TBs must be perfectly adjusted and synchronised otherwise the fuel cut off will not be sharp enough when changing gears, and engine speed needs to fall sharply to manage smooth gear changes as ratios are rather short. The fuel cut off seems sharper when the engine is cold (warm up phase), whence perhaps why it's easier to shift from 1st to 2nd when it's cold. In my case at least. So far I have accepted to live with it as I have seen similar behaviour with other cars using similar OEM Bosch engine management.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Most likely as mentioned above ( similar to the 430 etc) assembly sealant etc .. no one ever changed / cleaned filter
    Put a magnet to it to make sure not a metal paste - excessive wear