Gearbox Longevity | FerrariChat

Gearbox Longevity

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Robb, Jun 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    How reliable are the mclaren gearboxes?

Ferrari 458 and f12 are having seals and gaskets failing causing a $12k repair (that’s not guaranteed to work) or a full trans replacement at $30-40k

neither option instills confidence.

does Mclaren have similar issues or are they bulletproof?

thanks. Robb

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very good question Robb, my hands on McLaren experience is limited to one 12C test drive. otherwise just 2nd hand talking to owners. My guess the answer is McLaren gear boxes as good or better than Ferrari, but yes they can fail and if they do it can be a bigger headache ($) than Ferrari. even if the gearboxes are better, there are plenty of things less reliable than Ferrari/Porsche and they will cost more too. I think the factory warranties more important with McLaren than almost any other exotic. STILL great cars!

Robb likes this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have experienced several mclarens and they have been pretty incredible. I’d likely add one from a auth dealer with a warranty because of those unknowns. I’m not really going to have a heart attack over a couple thousand service bill or repair but a 20-40k bill would take the car out of contention if not covered under a warranty.

Robb