Gearbox noise | FerrariChat

Gearbox noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by Glassman, Jun 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Shortly after changing the fluid in the transmission/gearbox a noise developed. It sounded to me like a bearing noise. The noise only appears after the car is fully warmed up. There is no noise when the car is cold. I had a clutch going out so I took it to the transmission shop. The guy said it sounded like the throwout bearing and a clutch job should clear it up. We replaced the clutch as well as all the bearings in the gearbox at that time. I found the noise still present but with a little different tone to it. I had used Valvoline Gear Oil, so I changed it to Redline hoping that would make a difference. It hasn't. The noise seems to be coming from the Gearbox, but that is not for sure. Any ideas. I have only put about 200 miles on the car since adding the Redline. Should I just be patient?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am hoping it's not the input shaft bearing, what kind of Redline gear oil did you use?

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

75/90NS

4. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    You might want to try Swepco 201

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I should add that the noise is there when the car is sitting in nuetral, but the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed.

6. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    #6 Jbryant, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did he change the Pilot Bearing? The clutch has both a throw out bearing and a Pilot Bearing. If you depress the clutch pedal and the sound goes away, its one of these two.

It is also possible to adjust the throw out bearing to much so it rides the clutch when not engaged. This will cause a noise and will wear out the bearing much faster.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I had a similar noise, turned out to be the bearing that's pressed into the bell housing, it's a double row ball bearing and supports the shaft and top transfer gear. not a cheap bearing, all new bearings for the bell housing that support the drop gears is around $1200.

sounds like a grinding rattle at idle and goes away with the clutch depressed.

#20 in pic above

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I have changed that bearing also. I guess the only thing to do is put some miles on it and see what developes. My hope was with the noise going away when the clutch is depressed it would indicate a problem in the gear box, and not in the transmission. Would that be the probable answer?

9. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It would help to have a bit more diagnostic information.

Does it make the noise when the car isn't moving?

If the noise is only when the car is moving then does it make the noise in neutral when moving?

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I really can't tell if the noise is present when the car is moving. I am assuming so.
    The noise is noticable when the car is sitting still and just ideling.

11. ossa

ossa Rookie

Oct 27, 2007
    Glassman,

Did you ever figure out what the noise was from? I have exactly the same problem - whirring/rattly noise at idle, that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I took the transfer case cover off and found mismatched transfer gears and evidence of loosening of the bottom gear in the past- the inside of the transfer case cover was badly scored. So far I've replaced the gears with a matched set, and the center gear bearings and... the noise is as bad as it ever was. That was a rather expensive troubleshooting maneuver. I'm running redline 75-90 NS in the transaxle, and it actually seems to have made the noise louder. Incidently the transmission shifts fine, and only has a slightly slow 2nd gear synchro.

I have a hard time imagining that this is simply a throw out bearing problem or a pilot bearing problem. Listening with a stethoscope the noise is loudest near the bottom transfer gear and quietest near the top gear-which is the one attached to the throw out bearing.

I'm guessing the problem is with the bottom bearing- the one on the transmission input shaft, or worse yet, in the gearbox itself.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    several of my carb 308's have had this weird rattle at idle, warmed up, with the clutch out when they were first delivered to me. ( noise happens as you would be sitting at a traffic light.)

i always change all the fluids in my cars as soon as they are delivered and do the belt service. i also always add 4.5 quarts of gearbox oil, (4 quarts of oil, and a big tube of the GM limited slip additive.) i have used Redline and Swepco 201 gear oils.

i am no expert, but i think the drop gears rattle a bit if there is not enough gear oil in there. i swear with 4 to 4.5 quarts none of the cars made any noise after the gear box oil change.

my QV is the quietest of all of them, but its different in many small ways from the 4 carb 308's i have had so far.

perhaps Steve or Rifledriver will chime in, but it seems to me the rattle may be an indication of not enough gear oil, and at rest, the drop gears are rattling around. on a level surface, the fill to spill method seems to always work as i put that last .5 qt in the gearbox from the top diff fill plug, and quickly re install the lower gearbox fill plug as it comes dribbling out.

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I still have the noise. But the above post is interesting. I drained a little fluid out (about a cup) and poured it back in at the top filler plug on the gearbox cover. The noise went away for about an hour. I may try adding a little more fluid and see what happens.

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If the sound goes away when the clutch is depressed it may be bearings inside the transmission. Also, if the sounds is sort of a rotating grinding noise then it is most definitely bearings, but I haven't enough experience to say if this is anything more than just the gears meshing while rotating. I have a little bit of this sound in my gearbox and I have heard this same sound from two other carb 308s so I have written it off as somewhat normal. Any experts want to key in on this?

15. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    They shouldn't make noise.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Another curios thing is that my noise only starts after the car is good and warmed up. No noise at start up. Thinning oil?

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    ...or is the oil level being depleted and not replenished fast enough?

18. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    I suspect drop gear rattle.
    Will the noise go away if engine rpms are increased to 1200+rpm (in neutral)?

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I'll have to check that out when I have some help.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    OH? Then why have there been so many complaints for so many years that in the 360 Ferrari finally went to pressed on gears in an attempt to cut some of the noise?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You got it.

22. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #22 theunissenguido, Apr 30, 2009
    My mondial gear noises came from the middle gear in the bellhousing. Some residu hat tappered an oilhole (green flash). There are also holes in the bearing and bearinghousing that has to be inline (bleu line). My old bearing hat a production failure, it whas'nt put in the right angle to the gear (red flash).

Good luck,
    Guido

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If that bearing is the correct part it is fully grooved on the back side so the holes do not need to line up. You had a lubrication problem but it was not caused by the holes not lining up.

24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

thanks Brian. I was checking just yesterday on my gearbox noise. It is in fact only when the box is fully warmed up that there is a small amount of noise. this takes quite a bit off my mind

25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #25 theunissenguido, Apr 30, 2009
    The bearing itself whas grooved, but the ring that holds it has a hole that has to be inline with the oilhole (green flash) in the aluminium.

Guido