Gearbox remove questions (ernie?) | FerrariChat

Gearbox remove questions (ernie?)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lars_vet, Sep 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Well no help to sit and whine, ao I will just get started in removig that gearbox for a closer look.

Found you guide, and I am going to go by that.

Question.

1. IS its really nessasary to drain the engine oil? I just put new oil in 300mils ago, and if its possible I would like to avoid draing it?

2. Do I need to suppor the engine with the gearbox out?

3. Whot bolts do i losen/take out to get the CV joint lose from the gear box?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
    Unfortunately yes.

The reason you need to drain the oil is because you must remove the feed pipe that runs along side the gear box to the oil tank. The flexible hose on the back of the pipe only goes to the tank. The rest of the pipe is solid to where it attaches to the engine block. So if you where to try and lower the gear box without removing the pipe you will bend it. There isn't enough clearance to move the gear box to one side until it has dropped out of the upper support mounting bracket on the sub frame. So that is why you need to drain the oil and move the pipe out of the way.

No.

The engine is held in place by the motor mounts.
    You loosen the 6 bolts on each inner CV joint attached to the gear box. You don't need to disconnect the CV joints from the wheels, only from the gear box side of the half shafts.

3. Lars_vet

Lars_vet Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2007
    On the open road
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Copy that! thanks!