Gettin started in racing... | FerrariChat

Gettin started in racing...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by SoFlaNSX, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    I've been wanting to get involved in racing now for a long time. I've been driving since I was 3. I got my first go-kart at that age and ran it everyday on our private road out in SouthWest ranches. I've been driving everything from boats to gokarts, to heavy equipment, to sports cars...everything...except full blown race cars.

just curious if anyone here knows a way to get into racing...any kind really. I'd really like to audition or try-out to be a team driver instead of having to lay out on my own.

This is kinda off-topic but I'm hoping maybe one of you wil have some information!

Thanks in advance :)

By the way, I'm only 20, so I have plenty of time to grow in the sport.

2. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    Join SCCA and go to Drivers School, get a license and build a reputation. Then if you are good enough you might get a team interested. Most likely you will have to spend your own money. Many "team" drivers buy the ride.

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    only 20....?

You are too old ...HA...who would have ever thought you are too old for anything at 20 :)

No serious. You can do something on SCCA level till you are Sindo's age. True paid racers start in their early Teens. At 20 you are too scared already and can not really build up good motorskills anymore. Practice reaction is harder.

Look at all the young drivers that have come into NASCAR. They are all not drinking age yet drive the piss out of those cars. They all started young. The old folks in NASCAR are slowly retiring and very young ones are coming in. The Dale Ernhardts and Richard Pettys are gone.

Sorry to burst your bubble here buddy.
    SCCA can be a lot of fun though. Nothing to make a living off though. Not that most drivers make a living at all. Its like surfing, you are not in it for the money but the thrill.

4. SoFlaNSX

SoFlaNSX Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    I'm a huge NASCAR fan...most the rookies this year are about 23-25. Many did start racing early but there are the few that didn't and just drive. Thats me. I got behind the wheel of a stock car through RPDE and turned the fastest lap by over 5mph...the instructor pulled me aside and gave me a # for a place in lakeland that offers a 3-day training course followed by real race time, but its $4,000 and i can't afford that at the time (im slowly saving :) ).

Im just looking for something to start out simple with (Go-Karts? Sprints? Midget?...dirt??) and then maybe move on if i have skill.

5. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    I agree with Martin on this one. Before you spend $4000 on a vanity driving school, find out how many of their inexperienced first time students are now being paid to drive. Unless you are related to a successful racing team or have a ton of money, the chances are that you will never get a paid ride.

6. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    SCCAs spec Miata series is pretty hot right now. A competetive car is under $30K and can be driven to the track. That is about as "cheap" as competetive driving gets.

Carts are a much less expensive proposition. For details, however, you will need to find your local carting orginzization as the rules, and the carts themselves, vary.

Of course, you could always sign up for the Ferrari Challenge. Expect to pony up $500K (including the car) your first season - not including the inevitable track damage.

Scottie