Getting an F12 to sound more like a TDF | FerrariChat

Getting an F12 to sound more like a TDF

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by haithman, Feb 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. haithman

haithman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2004
    Loving the F12 since I bought it a month ago but the one thing I have been wanting more of is the sweet sound of that V12 symphony.

Inside the cabin with the windows up the car is pretty quiet especially compared to my GT3. I haven’t really been able to push the car because of the weather in the NE but I think I want to kick up the volume a bit.

To that end, is it possible to make the car sound more like a TdF? I know it won’t sound exact but man the TdF sounds so incredible. I want to retain the true essence of the Ferrari sound without some overly loud, synthetic, obnoxious aftermarket option. My first option should probably be a valve controller but any other options you all recommend?

colonels likes this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Capristo X pipe and rear boxs

3. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    200 cell sport cats are all you need. Honestly it's better than TDF sound.

4. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    First you can wire off the exhaust valves and plug the hoses.
    I tried it on mine before ordering a valve controller and found the sound quiet enough to keep them always open, no issue so far.
    Of course no crazy sound vs a full exhaust but easy first step.

5. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #5 sunghyun7, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    I think engine sounds identical. yea there's the solid vs hydraulic lifter difference, but I couldn't notice any audible difference.

Main difference in TDF sounds IMO is transmission logic. TDF trans shifts a lot quicker when downshifting so it just sounds a lot better. My F12b almost needs me to have brake or gas pedal depressed to get into gear quickly when downshifting. If I'm just cruising on freeway, downshift with foot off the pedal, the shift sounds complete garbage. TDF sounds lot more certain and "race"esque. Upshifting is fine on F12b, but I think TDF upshift sounds faster as well.

If someone can reprogram F12b transmission logic to mirror TDF shifts, I'd be in line for it.

nguyennhatquang likes this.
  6. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I thought unplugging the hoses kept the valves open all of the time. I didn’t think you needed to wire them open. I can’t say for sure but I thought when I unplugged mine. I actuated the valve lever and when I did it closed them. Meaning a static lever kept them open.

7. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Yes when unplugged the valves keep open without any other action, they are "normally open".
    Then you just need to put some plugs in the hoses from the intake and ziptie them properly.

Vegas CS likes this.
  8. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I guess Steve Mason @mase Engineering can do someting.

9. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Try to Capristo valve controller first....this will not void warranty and you will be pleasantly surprised....the biggest difference is that the valves stay open on the over run, when slowing down, it sounds much much better and loud.

Zedtt likes this.
  10. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you this is what I thought.

For the OP, I just unplugged my valves and it made a mild increase in noise at lower rpm’s but it’s not obnoxious. I do want more now and plan to do 200 cell cats and x pipe in the future.

Altoria F likes this.
  11. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I may follow...:rolleyes:

12. Phillychoi

Phillychoi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2020
    Lansdale, PA
    FYI, if anyone is interested 200 cell sport cats, I have them for sale.

Vegas CS likes this.
  13. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    The issue with the valve controller/pinning the valves open is that this does nothing to augment the way the car sounds - you're just affecting the sound between idle/valves opening. You get a bit more noise very low down in the rev range, but really the biggest difference in when you're sitting still in traffic.

The exhausts are essentially the same (same part numbers for cats, for example), with one crucial difference: the TDF has Inconel rear silencers as standard, as compared to steel on the Berlinetta. That's a good place to start.

If you absolutely want to meet/exceed the TDF exhaust note:

- Novitec Rear silencers with valves (Inconel)
    - Novitec X-Pipe
    - Novitec 100-cell cats
    - Novitec Tectronic (to manage EWL from high-flow cats)
    - Novitec Switchtronic (remote system)

Now this isn't the cheapest endeavour, and actually this level of extremity is rarely specified on F12s.
    My usual recommendation to F12 owners would be the following:

- Novitec Rear silencers with valves (Inconel)
    - Novitec X-Pipe
    - Novitec Switchtronic

-
    Dylan

14. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Good feedback Dylan. The increase in sound at low revs is why I unplugged my valves. In normal driving, the valves are closed and the car is quiet. I have a Tesla for quiet so I want a bit more sound from my F12, especially down low. Unplugging the valves was like turning the volume knob up two clicks at low revs. But as you said, it did nothing for the sound above 4500. But that music is glorious already………until it’s not enough, which will then require a lightening of my wallet of about $8k. :D

ScuderiaCarParts and Altoria F like this.
  15. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Sounds like a job for @360trev!

16. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    For an hour of labour at a workshop / an hour of your own time (if you're mechanically minded enough) you can't beat pinning the valves! ;)

Last I checked the Inconel silencers on their own are $8k...some things are purchased with the heart, not the head ;)

Vegas CS likes this.
  17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There is your answer right there.

And trust me, I just went through this with my TDF.

The TDF is so quiet with the standard CATS. As soon as you change them, the whole car is different.

And it is very noticeable.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    For F12 or TDF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    this thread makes me want to put the straight pipe back on. I don't miss the car stinking up my garage like a gasoline station tho!

20. ScuderiaCarParts

BANNED

Feb 8, 2013
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Car Parts
    They will fit both

21. thx enzo

thx enzo Karting

Aug 11, 2021
    Hartland, WI
    Full Name:
    Stevenp
    I recently bought an F12 to drive while I wait for my F8 Spider, and am thinking of disconnecting the vacuum lines to the exhaust valves so it does not sound like a Buick at low revs. Anyone know if I need to then plug them, or can I just leave them open. Thanks.

22. dustywusty

dustywusty Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2017
    Florida
    So, what about no cats? Similar sound?

23. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I plugged mine with an appropriate sized screw then zip tied them out of the way. You’ll have to remove the rear undertray. Like ScuderiaCarParts said, it’s an easy task.

24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I bought a factory oem downpipes and gutted them making them catless. This way the fit is oem with the heat shielding. I installed a Kline Xpipe that Phillychoi was nice enough to provide. I'm going to run factory cans. Mase tune and use Forza valve controllers as well.
    Gutting the cat material was a 8 hour process. difficult access with these downpipes.

Vegas CS likes this.
  25. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I was thinking of doing fabspeed cats and X pipe for my 812...advantage in my mind is that there is no CEL issue you need to address.

Has anyone here done this? Their YouTube results looked quite good

ScuderiaCarParts likes this.