Glare reduction for 308 dash | FerrariChat

Glare reduction for 308 dash

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chris marsh, Nov 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I once saw a guy who had a matte mat to cover his dash while driving eliminating glare. Anyone know where to get one? (I can bareley see when I drive into the sun)

2. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    I had one of these back in the 80's, but left it at a track meet (sigh). Got it from F.A.F., I think.
    There is one for sale on ebay at the moment; look under 308 dash cover. Like the one I had, the top surface looks like carpeting. Ad says it is new, so if it sells, you still might learn the source from the seller.

3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  4. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    they do not, I've tried Revo and OP. Thanks for the info I've ordered a mat.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    They do for me and several other folks on the board. But the mat does it for sure... I've got one of those too. You don't have to use the supplied velcro to keep it in place, though. What I do is remove the three round dash vents (the oblong ones don't come out easily) and then put them back in through the OUTSIDE of the dash mat vent holes. Holds it in place wonderfully.

Mike

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good tip Mike.

I love my 308 dashmat!

Greg

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I keep a piece of black felt material in the car. I place it atop the instrument pod during sun glare conditions. It works well.

Barry

9. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Me too. I have had a cover for a couple of years and it works great. My only complaint is that it looks just a little tacky, but from a safety and eye-strain standpoint it makes alot of sense...

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I use one in my Boxer and it works great. My fits great and stays in place without the velcro. It also protects the dash leather from the sun. ;)

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My 308 from Montana came with the instrument pod covered in mousehair.

It's stitched to match the rest of the dash........works OK......

The MAIN thing is to avoid swabbing a greasy Armorall treatment on the dash, in the first place! ;)

12. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I bought a dashmat but haven't velcrowed it because i was less than happy with the fit & thought it might lay out a bit better after a few weeks in the sun but it still fits poorly.

Before i send it back for another try, i thught i'd ask how well others "mats" have fit.

?
    chris

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Chris,
    Funny you mentioned poor fit.
    The left part of my DashMat doesn't contour properly with the dash that's to the left of the instrument binnacle. I had to tuck a flap under, but it's close enough.
    I figured they're all cut to same, wrong template, so I didn't exchange it.

The vent holes all line up nicely. All in all I'm satisfied..

Greg

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I *did* send mine back and got another one, and it had the identical issue. But as you say, it's "close enough".

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I disagree, Mike; I have polarized sunglasses and still get a bad glare off the central raised binnacle that holds the speedo and the tach. (The rest of the dash is not a significant problem.)

I may get a dashmat and just use the central portion.

16. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

I think we've got a terminology difference. I should have described my problem as reflection, not glare. It is the reflection of the instrument pod that causes my issue. Sunglasses seem to have no-effect on this reflection.

17. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Maybe since i'm a bit shorter and fatter, i get a lot of dash glare reflected up onto the windshield from the whole dash.

The dashmat really cuts down on the reflected light and since the fit seems to be fairly "standard", i will go ahead and velcrow it in.

best,
    chris

18. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Personally I use a £25 pair of Polorised sun-glasses and they work fine for sun, glare and reflections. However Poloroid does not work quite so well for overcast skies when the difuse light is not clearly polorised.

Different sunglass manufacturers use all sorts of terminology, so a quick test for good poloroid... Take two pairs of the glasses to be tested and put one in front of the other so you are looking through both lenses. Then turn one of the glasses to 90 degrees and the view should blacken entirely. If there is no change in the tint level, they are not proper polorising filters. (You can also check against camera poloriod filters and LCD displays that rely on poloroid technology - say calculator display).

My bug-bear is night time street lighting, I wound up re-shaping and altering the park position of my wipers (down the screen) as the combination of glare and wipers were hiding the kerbline at night. Not fun.

David.

19. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

20. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot

21. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Using this old thread I found for a little help please from over the pond.

I'm suffering very badly in the UK when we do get the sun, it's very dangerous, I can hardly see at times due to the GLARE off the binnacle.none of my sun glasses totally eliminate it, so I need a cover of some sort.

Has anyone got a picture of one of these dash covers on there 308/328 I can see in place, to get an idea what they look like before I order one.
    Ideally I would like to find a place in the UK or Europe to save on taxes.

22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I don't have a picture of a cover. They are very unattractive in my opinion but they do work. You can also just put a black towel down on the dash in front of you. I just learned to up with the glare. It's part of the charm of being "old school".

23. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for reply George,
    As above anyone got one on there car and can post a pic
    Cheers

24. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I found having the binnacle recovered in leather made a very big improvement. I also have the Dash- mat for really bright conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Makes you wonder why Ferrari ceased using the suede type of material on the older 60's and 70's car dash and instrument binnacles, other than on the 288GTO. Made most sense to avoid this glare issue in the first instance. If my leather ever cracks or shrinks I might redo in the vintage material, mind of like modern alcantera fabric.

[​IMG]

Milkshaker0007 likes this.