Glove box motor | FerrariChat

Glove box motor

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Apr 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Having the interior redone on my 512tr and the Glove box motor does not work. I have scoured the internet and can not find the part. Also looked at old threads on FChat! Steve M. repaired one in the past, but would like to source a replacement if possible. Part # 16523100 #21

It is the same part for testarossa and 512tr
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes it is. The whole fix cost about 1k but Maybe considerably less if u do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe it is a solenoid, maybe something else will work.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Try to get one via the wellknown car brokers as f.i. in U.K. Europares.

Write them an email ! Or call ...

5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I have one - it's been so long - so I'm unsure of its status. Shoot me a PM with your address, and you can have it to try out.

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    TVU, I received your old unit today. I grabbed my wire leads, and tested it. No luck it was dead. So I drilled out the rivets and pulled it apart removing the motor. I had a replacement motors that I was going to try to install on the advise of Steve M. Just for fun, I tested it again and the motor jumped but did not run. If it moves, it cant be shorted out, so there might be a bad connection. Making a long story short, I shot it with WD40 and grabbed a Qtip and cleaned off the armature where the brushes touched the armature and it ran like a champ. So I will give to my mechanic tomorrow, and have him test in my 512. So for anyone who's open does not work, this could be an easy fix.

Thanks Dennis

7. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Glad to hear you were able to make use of it.

8. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My box isn’t working . Is there a fuse or relay that is connected to it on a’91 TR? The switch is new.

I finally got it open using the emergency release cable. No joke, this is what I found inside...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Maybe you should dial some of those numbers!!! LOL

I'm sure there is a fuse, but I'm not sure which one. Sorry!

Testarossa Sean likes this.
  10. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Numbers might be as old as the car LOL! It proved what all my friends and I knew about the secret powers of the prancing horse...hahaha

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Fuse #24 (10A), but that same fuse also runs the turn signals, reverse lights, and external mirror motors, so if those items are working the fuse isn't the problem. No relay involved. (Like the horn motor, it's something you should use maybe quasi-monthly / every couple of months to keep the motor brushes and commutator "clean" and in good contact as EZORED noted.)

EZORED likes this.
  12. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Steve-

Thank you so much! I don’t hear the motor click. I will check the fuse and provide and update. Crossing fingers.

Sean

13. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson

My feelings (that nobody asked for) are that the switches on the center control panel aren't of real great quality. To open my glove compartment, I have to press the switch down VERY HARD.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think your motor may just ooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Even when I dont drive my TR, I still give it a start up weekly and hit every button in the cockpit. Every single one. Things like to get exercised. AC full on, full off, heat full on full off, windows up and down, lights up and down, blinkers, glove box, cabin lights, hazards etc. 5 minutes is worth it especially if you find an issue as you have time on your side to remedy.

When I first got my TR, one of the windows wasnt working properly. Took apart the switch, cleaned it out, sanded down the contact points with 1000grt, re-greased and worked like a champ. Did the same to the other window switch as a preventative measure.

The glovebox motor is a bear to fix. Glad you got your running for cheap to give hope to others. Elbow grease paid off in spades.

EZORED likes this.