Goodwood Festival of Speed | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Discussion in 'Australia' started by topher, Sep 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Incredible

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    And for those whom like their GR live with sound etc:

3. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  5. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    My friend keeps txting me 'handsome'........I keep feeding her drugs,we're doing well!

6. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    A few years ago in an interview, Rod Stewart when asked about age creeping up replied " Age is like a toilet roll, the older it gets the faster it goes!"

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So true

Sent from my SM-F711B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. harpersimon

harpersimon Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 31, 2016
    West Sussex
    Basically if you want to see Historic racing - as there is no racing at FoS other than the timed shootout which isn't period racing - then go to Revival which is at the track most of the cars raced at in period. FoS is for youtubers who want to see the latest Lambo and whatever manufacturers are turning out, with display runs of feature cars. Revival is serious racing in a period themed atmosphere (you must dress up in period costume to not stand out). Get a weekend pass, best race is Friday evening and the feature TT race on Sunday. Revival you'll be able to walk about and soak up the atmosphere, FoS you'll be battling for space to see anything interesting. Both are relatively expensive.

Maranello550, MrGrigio and Bluebottle like this.
  10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Ian thinks otherwise re the revival...what would he know?? :eek:

11. harpersimon

harpersimon Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 31, 2016
    West Sussex
    I didn't read the entire thread - just answered the question from my point of view having been to both for 20 odd years visiting, racing, displaying and competing :)

Maranello550 and moretti like this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree 100% in re the FoS - been once, never again. Not entirely so in re the Revival. I thought the Revival was heading that way, and, for a significant proportion of attendees, becoming more of a retro fashion show than a motor racing event. which is why I have not been for several years, preferring the Members' Meeting - no fancy dress, no crowds. However, for a number of reasons, including the various date changes which messed up my plans to go to the MM, this year I went along to the Revival (on the Saturday). On one point, I entirely agree: the racing is very serious and really good, close fought stuff. However, period dress is IMO not necessary, and as one who did not bother, I did not stand out*. Go in period dress if it makes you happy, but please do not don a uniform unless you were in the services - IMO it is disrespectful to those who were, and the chances are you will look silly.

*In the interests of full disclosure, I have to admit that there was an occasion a long time ago, when I won a prize at a car show for "the Chairman's Choice" - the car which the chairman of the organising club would most like to take home (my '29 R-R Phantom tourer). On going up to collect my trophy, I was told not to go away, as I had won another award of which I was unaware - second prize for period dress, despite not knowingly wearing it!

Maranello550, DMWC, moretti and 2 others like this.
  13. harpersimon

harpersimon Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 31, 2016
    West Sussex
    Sure, dressing up is not mandatory - however it is partly the point - since its revival.. if you don't want to get involved then sure Members meeting is likely a better choice.

14. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I like hearing from people who have attended many years .... you get a better perspective .... plus I have a partner that loves dressing up (I don't)

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    We know

harpersimon likes this.
  16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I haven't been to either since 2018 Simon and I noticed how much both had changed, especially the crowds. Of course I prefer to watch (and be part of) racing rather than hillclimbs. Goodwood has great close racing, but so do most historic race meetings. Laguna Seca for example has a broader range of cars and great racing.

Both events are great and of course the weather has a big impact. One in the sunshine will be dramatically more enjoyable than the other in the rain - the grass carparks turn into a mud bath very quickly!

One weakness of the Revival is all the hot rods, e-types and Cobras with 50% more power than they ever had in the day. It's not authentic historic racing but the crowds love the illusion that e-types could hold a candle to Ferraris in the 1960's.

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Plus I understand that a lot of the 250GTO owners run a second engine (understandably) in their GTO when racing

18. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tracksuits could be dressing up...

Maranello550 likes this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Hardly an illusion. First time out, one month after the car was unveiled at the 1961 Geneva Motor Show, Graham Hill won a 25-lap race at Oulton Park in an E-type from the Aston Martin DB4 of Innes Ireland, with Salvadori in a second E-type finishing third. Ferrari 250 GTs were fourth and fifth.

simon klein and Ferraridoc like this.
  20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Was that the lightweight version ?

Just read the motorsport magazine article, supposedly 'standard' , and the Ferraris were not the GTO variants, but good effort first up

21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, these two were pretty close to standard production cars at a time when the 250 GT was the best equivalent Ferrari could offer. The lightweight cars came later, as did the GTOs.

22. harpersimon

harpersimon Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 31, 2016
    West Sussex
    What you have to remember is that 80% of expensive hardware on any historic track, is not the expensive hardware you may think it is. No one is racing an original GTO for example.. - but Goodwood still has period scrutineering, so yes maybe they are better materials and a little lighter and more power here and there - but not a lot. Standard Race engines, period correct gears and diffs etc. You can't run anything that wasn't run in the day. you can just run it better. Goodwood is a spectacle. Its 100% for the attendee... so if you want pure racing no frills then yes attend one of the many events worldwide. The Peter Auto series, Masters, MRL etc etc etc - for broader grids and more series racing.