Goodwood, September 17-19 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Goodwood, September 17-19

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by swift53, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    hot rod.

2. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    It was and I think he was on his 2nd or 3rd lap having changed with Adrian Newey who had done a pretty good job. Pressed too hard too soon?

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    A wheel parted company with the car not a lot many drivers can do about that.

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That would create something of a handling issue.

I was watching the race from Woodcote, so didn't see it as it happened.

5. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    #80 srslusso, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    David Hobbs mentioned re: Newey's Jag "that it seemed like a NASCAR car only 7/8s scale in size while racing at the Revival etc.etc."

my comments below:
    very interesting

Has " _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ " come to Vintage Racing in the UK?
    This was on the Speed (television) of the F1 Practice for the GP in Singapore.
    Lets see: a lower and smaller frontal area would do what to the Cd, almost as good as adding horsepower......I'm not a F1 aero man,but someone should ask one in particular.
    Do templates exist in the UK for older lightweight e-types ?

I love watching Vintage racing cars and wish the Goodwood Revival was televised in the USA. Could anyone who was there post some additional photos and maybe even video with sound ?

6. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
  7. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Some amazing pictures in this thread, thanks everyone for sharing!

8. autoidiodyssey

Nov 23, 2006
    #83 autoidiodyssey, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Great pics, love that particular 330GTO

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Question, noise regulations, how much of the V12 "music" is lost due to them? Looking at the pictures any additional silencing isnt obvious so I would assume that something like a 250 GTO sounds like it should...

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Particularly the 250GTO/64 sounded phenomenal, a beautiful rich scream. It was quite interesting that the Mason GTO and 330GTO and some SWBs sounded quite muffled but other SWBs and GTOs were very loud. Still, it was small potatoes volume-wise compared with the Sunbeam Lister Tiger and the Cobras, those things were REALLY loud.

Onno

12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The GTO/64 had a side exit exhaust while the other GTO's had rear exit pipes. Not sure what the noise limits are but there must be some kind of exemption for the Revival as otherwise Goodwood has pretty strict noise limits.

The loudest race must be the Whitsun with the big banger GT40's, Lola's and Mclarens.

13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #89 swift53, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lancaster, surprised it came out fairly well, considering the distance...unedited, and digital zoom. Lucky shot!
    Regards, Alberto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  16. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Sitting in the pale green BRM #6 in the warm-up area is Tony Brooks, 1956 BRM driver and 1959 WDC runner-up for Ferrari.

The Newey E-Type is full-size and more - it runs a ride height about 5" lower and wheel rims about twice the normal width, and puts out 380bhp. There was every graduation of over-developed E-Type in the TT, from ones that looked more or less how they did in period up to Newey's.............

Paul M

17. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Great pictures..........great thread.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    After Revival I visited the shop of a very prominent historic racecar preparer. I mentioned that some of the TT Ferraris seemed to have had some engine development during the past couple of years, in the spirit of some of the Cobras, GT40s (not a TT car, I realize) and E Types. He just smiled....

I've been wondering about the 330LMB...Is it allowed to run on what appear to be Cromodoras as a matter of safety, because in period they ran only on Borranis, as far as I know.

Jack.

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I recommend the latest (?) issue of Octane for those interested on this subject. Breathing and metallurgy are two areas that can yield big power increases without obvious changes to the engines.

20. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Those jags are running I'm told very high compression and expensive fuel,just look at the after burn of flames.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know any of the personalities or particulars and I understand the competitive aspect of human nature but I do wonder why they bother with vintage racing as opposed to a modern formula that allows a greater degree of legitimate creativity.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1,000,000

That is why I stopped classic car racing, at my very much humbler level. I'm even thinking of buying an old Alfa 75 v6 and going racing, but I probably won't even bother finding out if it is eligible for any form of classic racing, and I don't want a GTV6 because they are ugly (IMO) ...
    Pete

23. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Bit like that Classic Phillip Island meeting,waste of time ,one does not get enough racing plus its run by those awful people at the VHRR.

24. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Ego must have something to do with it. The fact that if you want your car to win in front of more spectators in the UK you need to write a cheque for $250m + and sell your soul to Bernie Eccelestone.

123,000 people passed through the gates of Goodwood over the course of the weekend.

25. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It is alleged that Newey's GT40 spent a lot of time in an F1 factory in Milton Keynes as part of his signing-on fee even before his first attempt at writing it off - all the most competitive GT40s now feature much more ummmmm 'sophisticated' suspension arrangements