Goshawk stories? | FerrariChat

Goshawk stories?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Saw a marine goshawk today. I Really like them. Any good stories related to this plane?

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Nope. But dozens of BAe Hawk T Mk 1a stories. It’s the lighter, faster, 9G Brit cousin!

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

More like its father than cousin.... maybe?
    Didn't it precede the G-hawk by 15 years or so... design modified by US for Navy/Marines?

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    Ryan S. likes this.
  5. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    1/3 scale? They're bigger than that aren't they?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fly fishing in the San Juan Valley in Colorado on a meadow stream when two T-45s went by at low level. I waved and the rear aircraft rocked his wings at me. Airspeed not too fast, since they were a long ways from anywhere at that point and probably trying not to eat up all their JP8. Pretty noisy at that altitude (~200' AGL), but nothing like an F-111 or F-4. Did not bother the trout.

Ryan S. likes this.
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    or an A-6, which I've been under on low level routes through central WA. Anything from the turbojet era is an eardrum buster.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F-111s (and F-14s) used turbofans, but still made plenty of noise

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree... 1/4 scale at the largest, it appears to me... Hawk wingspan is about 33 feet.

10. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    its actually 1/3.5 scale to be exact.

11. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like a G or S model from the rudder. Very impressive. What will power her?

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    They really aren't a big machine. This was my girl parked next to some bigger boys...

Ryan S. and dinonz308 like this.
  14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Ryan S. likes this.
  15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Ryan S. and u2fast like this.
  16. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Great photo! Thank you for posting. Im assuming that is you flying correct?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hate to see a two seater like that with an empty back seat. Would have loved to have ride in one.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    My partner on the AvMed Flt and I flew these solo about half the time. We had a sister ship XX327 as well. For a while, while we were flight testing the Anti-G kit amd Helmet-Mounted displays for Typhoon, F-22, and F-35, we were flying both jets twice a day solo for weeks on end running every profile from 9G High Aspect BFM to some really long low-levels into Scotland for SAPs. We couldn't take back seat meat with us on Air-to-Air hops, as they didn't have the 9G kit we had. But for Surface Attack Profiles, we'd let other guys from Fast Jet Test Squadron have a ride, do some pattern work at the end, or fly some legs enroute to the IP. Was a great time to be there...we did dissimilar air-to-air all the time...Alpha Jets, Jags, Harriers, and Tornados were all in our one squadron. We would run up to Warton to hit Typhoons as they hadn't been deployed elswhere when I was at Boscombe.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    The only other USAF guy that ever got to fly with me was a USAF TP on the Heavy Aircraft Test Squadron as the HATS guys could get hours in the ETPS hawk when it wasn't grounded. Since I was cleared to instruct from the pit, I'd occasionally go find Geno and put him up front. He loved it as it was a chance to get out of Hercs or Nimrods or whatever big ugly thing they were flying at the time. Being in a RAF test squadron was an interesting evocation of having a broad latitude to adhere to strict protocols.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Boscombe Down has always been a fun place to fly, even back in WW-II where their mission was similar. A lot like Edwards, except with more clouds and rain and no 100 F days. Funny thing is with over 2000 hours of fighter time (F-111, F-4, RF-4, F-15, F-16), I have never flown in a jet trainer. They were still using T-29Cs and Ds when I went through the nav and EWO schools. Those used the same engines my father's P-47s had.

21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sorry you missed out. As great as the T-38 Talon is, the BAe Hawk is better. The single engine aspect really makes the Hawk a great discriminator when sorting out the haves and have nots among students. The Talon is great at going straight and fast but it sucks as a fighter lead in trainer. The Hawk does it all very well. You would have loved either, though. They are both more fun per pound than any fighter except the Viper or Rafale, although I suspect the Hornet and Gripen would be good fun as well. Typhoon was more like an Eagle than an F-16.