Great Marcel Massini story on the F40 launch | FerrariChat

Great Marcel Massini story on the F40 launch

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    6 vids (from Oct. - already posted somewhere?)

YellowF50, jpalmito, wrxmike and 8 others like this.
  2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No offense Marcel, but I thought you were much older.
    Cool video, thanks for posting.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    LOL, I thought he was bigger :)

E60 M5 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hi Robert
    When I wake up in the morning (or is it afternoon?) I usually feel like 103, although I naturally still look as good as a 33 year old.......
    Please enjoy a wonderful day!

Marcel Massini

dhari, greg328, jpalmito and 10 others like this.
  5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    All these years I had never seen your picture and just assumed with your vast knowledge that you were a much older individual.
    I think we all feel the same in the morning! LOL!!

jpalmito likes this.
  6. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The videos are pure gold, thanks for posting.

Marcel, thank you for pointing out that it's good to be environmentally conscious, I'm still chuckling.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great F40 story about the changing build numbers and so good you had your camera on that picture perfect sunny day long ago. As you mentioned there were two F40 examples present at Fiorano. One car, the track car 73015 was a little rough with the paint showing some abuse and didn't even have exterior mirrors fitted. The other F40 that I call the 'picture car' looked fresh and perfect. One curious detail about the picture car; it was presented with no visible serial number!

8. futurelegendyyc

Jul 23, 2019
    Finally I can put a face to the name. Thanks for all the contributions over the years Marcel !!

9. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    The older you get, the earlier it gets late.

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Chatted to Marcel a number of times by DM, so was really good to see him clearly in his element on that series.

He may appear dry at times on here (sorry Marcel) but his humour is evident in the interview.

Making your passion also your business is what we all strive for.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I cant imagine the wow factor when they uncovered the F40 for the first time. In 1987 and when they announced the specs..

I still remember how the press in France only talked about the 324kmh top speed and the 0-100 kmh in 4.1s, oh and the price - 1,700,000 frs. I also still remember the first one i ever saw - which happened to be right by the main entrance of the building we lived in, in Paris. I would later find out it lived in the same building, owned by a guy who also owned a real GT40. He owned 4 boxes - and i would always stop by his floor to try to see one of his cars out (one of the box only had a wire mesh door so you could see into it).

Good times.

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing video series. You have to keep the stories coming Mr Massini.

Thank you!

greg328 likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, the wow factor during the unveiling was absolutely huge.
    Everybody's chin just fell to the floor. Nobody had seen such a massive rear spoiler before (on a Ferrari production car).

Marcel Massini

jpalmito, Caeruleus11, E60 M5 and 4 others like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #15 Marcel Massini, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    As I mentioned in the interview, on Tuesday, 21 July 1987, following Commendatore Enzo Ferrari's brief speech and F40 presentation in Maranello (where the Galleria Ferrari is today) the new F40 was driven straight to the nearby Fiorano track where we had the chance to inspect not one but two F40's. Here's a pic I took of the one driven over from the (later) Galleria Ferrari towards the track and then another shot I took that day behind the pits at Fiorano.
    Count the slits in the rear window, number of air vents in the rear side, exhaust system tubes, lack of red lights below taillights ......... and compare with production F40's. Also note mounting position of exterior rear view mirror.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    That prototype also utilises the 308/328/288 door window frames, the production cars have a slightly bigger (longer) sidelight window which moves the metal upright between both panes back a bit further, I guess to give a better view of the door mirror glass from the driver seat.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The French journalist Jose Rosinski was at Fiorano for the introduction of the F40. He wrote for the magazine Sport Auto about the new Ferrari and said the project started on le 6 Juin 1986. He was pictured talking to Michele Alboreto at the track and noted that production was expected to start Mars 1988. The magazine headline read LA NOUVELLE FERRARI F40: 480 ch!

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think in that same issue they drove the GTO Evoluzione as well?
    And later, when they test drove the F40 in France , iirc, they showed a picture of the extra insurance they had to purchase bc of the price of the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes you are correct in Sport Auto #307 they compared the Porsche 959 to the Ferrari GTO Evoluzione.
    It was the following year in August Jose Rosinski drove an F40 around Paris and Stephane Foulon photographed the car at all the Paris tourist spots like the Eiffel Tower and Il Notre Dame plus more interesting locations. Even a polo tournament was featured in the photographs. That F40 had the French plate 7549WWY92 and featured the sliding side window to. There were also the two small rectangular red lights mounted in the rear grill on either side of the license plate location. The F40 was also photographed at the Mas du Clos track. Featured in the picture background were the 288 GTO plus a series 1 250 GTO and a 250 LM. There was even a trip on an unopened section of the new autoroute! Fun times...

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes! I think I still have these magazines somewhere in Paris. Back when a new Ferrari was a huge event. Good times.

jpalmito and of2worlds like this.
  20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ... as Macari said recently, "Looks like it's trying to gather up small children and spit it out the back." :)

21. lord.brett

lord.brett Formula 3

Nov 26, 2006
    France Normandie 27
    Full Name:
    brett
    At the same time, a beautiful meeting

Image Unavailable, Please Login (c) Sport Auto

SamuliS, amenasce, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i watched all of them Marcel, and i have to say i am extremely impressed.
    this level of expertise and information accumulation and management is an exceptional achievement.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Great post !...

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Article said he asked his chauffer to drive around the 959. Quite funny Sport Auto took the 959 to Fiorano to go drive the GTO Evo.

of2worlds likes this.