Great Project <or> Huge Mess ??? | FerrariChat

Great Project <or> Huge Mess ???

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by finnerty, Aug 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #1 finnerty, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Anyone know anything about this thing ?

Is it a true opportunity, or is it a pile of mess ?

I would think the 330 engine and the 2 gearboxes should have some decent value on their own...... assuming they are not trashed.....

1961 Ferrari 250 GTE GTO Rebody Project | eBay

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    IMO it will take years and 100's of thousands of dollars to complete. When it's finished what is it?

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    First of all, I believe it's probably in a wrong forum section...

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
  5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
  6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
  7. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    Not gone, still a live auction at $100k currently.

I only took a cursory look and it looks like they have been hidden/aren't shown in the photos, but some of you historians out there may try to glean the numbers for the cannibalised cars.

8. reddog

reddog Rookie

Aug 5, 2007
    Ha! It's only gone if you browse from a phone. I asked some questions out of curiosity, didn't get a response. This looks like more of a collection of parts rather than a project. It looks like it consists of an engine and two transmissions (don't know if anything bolts together), a frame, most of the suspension and driveline, a body skin, some gauges, and that's about it. Would need the inner structure to the body skin, a complete interior, a safety glass windshield if you want to drive on the road, wiring, plumbing, lights, wipers, HVAC, etc.
    It would still be cool, certainly more interesting and fun than a Factory Five cobra, but a LOT of work.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I saw this body in person about a year ago. I didn't really look at it closely, but what was there seemed to be very well done. The owner is very knowledgeable and was very easy to work with in my brief interaction with him.

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Agreed.

Judging by what is in the photos and descriptions, there is no where close to a complete car here. Assuming that either trans can even be used with that 330 engine, this would still be only an excellent *starting point* for someone who is willing to spend a huge amount of time (both in locating the rest of the needed parts and in the assembly of everything) and money to build this up into a car worth something reasonable at the end of a very arduous project.

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Well its a bloody good start to a project that's for sure, I think some people think recreating a car is like simply building a scale model from a box with all the parts to hand and a full instruction manual and assembly drawing, its not an ikea cabinet! the fun of a project is in sourcing the remaining bits and finding the skilled craftsmen to pull it together if you don't have the abilities yourself.

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    GTE body shells remaining from conversions have very little value on the market because the SN always travels with the chassis. The best way to leverage this, both from a custodian standpoint and maybe a financial standpoint, might be to restore it with a GTE body (it's even possible the original body from the chassis is still hanging around somewhere).

It would be a "makeshift" 330 America (the 51st of 50 built), but still better than having a GTE erased from the planet for another GTOish. The GTO body seems to be pretty high quality and would probably have some value on the market as a standalone sale, so that money could be put towards the GTE restoration.

Food for thought anyway (the listing has ended).

13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    This would be a ton of work and that probably became increasingly apparent each time this guy worked on it. Heck, it's a lot of work just painting a car-this is a whole different level. I doubt he got as much as that 'opening bid' was though unless he could somehow verify that engine would fire

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but I submit that particular GTE has essentially already been "erased from the planet". Its body is gone, its engine is gone, its driveline is gone, its interior / coachwork is gone. All that's left from that original GTE is a frame with chassis number on it ---- no one is going to be able to justify building it back up with all original GTE parts either (assuming one could even find them all).

On the other hand, if that GTE's original engine could be found......and mated back to that chassis.... that might be worth doing for someone.