Ground School Courses | FerrariChat

Ground School Courses

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Backwoodsman Pilot, Jan 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Backwoodsman Pilot

Jan 25, 2008
    Hello,

It's been 20 years since I've done any flying. I was 19 and ran out of money as the familiar story goes. I did complete ground school in 1988, but many things have changed since then.

I work a rotating schedule, so I'm interested in buying one of the private pilot training courses instead of attending an "in class" ground school. King and Sporty's are the two that I have heard about. I'd like to do the course and the FAA written before I get back in the air. Any opinions on which course in better? What books and materials do you suggest? I signed up for AOPA's free six month membership.

I appreciate any comments and advice.

Blessings,

Mark

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    People usually recommend the series they trained on, might be tough to find someone that has seen them all and have valid opinion. My one series was the Cessna King program and I thought it was great.

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Rob is correct. I have watched Sporty's and King's videos and I also prefer Kings. Gotta love Martha!

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Don't you need an instructor sign off to take the written?

5. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Only if the ground course you take ISN'T one,
    that the FAA recognizes as authorized.
    For instance, "Gleim's Online" course for PPL
    is an authorized course. They will give you a
    certificate that requires no CFI's endorsement.
    You submit that, to the testing center.

reference:
    https://www.gleim.com/aviation/ogs/

see "Note" on their page.

6. Backwoodsman Pilot

Jan 25, 2008
    Thank you guys for all the responses. I feel at home here already. :)

I did take the FAA written back in 1988. My instructor was pushing me to take it, but I felt I wasn't ready. I missed the passing score by 1 point.

I don't know if I need another CFI's endorsement to take it again since so many years have passed. I'm not up on the current FARs.... yet.

7. Backwoodsman Pilot

Jan 25, 2008
    Skyraider,

I'll check out the Gleim course. Thank you for the link.

8. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I just remembered studying a Gleim book before the written. It was very good and similar to the test. It has been 7 years but I remember the Gleim study guide was a huge help.

9. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005

FAA written for PPL, is only valid for two years...
    and I do believe you'll need another endorsement from a CFI,
    or from an accredited school (online course) or other source....
    i.e. ground school

Charlie

10. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Mark,
    a friend of mine, who hasn't flown in about 8 years,
    is studying for a BFR, using the Gleim. I used it also,
    for my written, along with Flight Tech audio tapes, Sporty's tapes, Martha and John's
    tapes (Kings), the Jeppesson book, and every online free testing site I could find...

But then again I'm working towards a CFI ticket. YMMV...

11. Backwoodsman Pilot

Jan 25, 2008
    Well, it's been 6 months since I've been on this forum. A lot of things have been going on including a layoff at work back in April. Anyway, I am now in a position to buy a private pilot study course and will make a decision in the next few days. I am learning toward Sporty's. Anyone else go through Sporty's private pilot DVDs?

Blessings,

Mark

12. planeflyr

planeflyr Karting

May 27, 2006
    There is a lot of "glitzy" course material out there and, of course, for the glitz you'll certainly pay a premium.

While you're looking into things, don't discount the Gleim products. the ocntent is quite good and IMHO can't be beat for the price.

Jeppesen produces some of the finest training materials anywhere and, again IMHO, is better and more comprehensive than either Sporty's or, ugh, John and Martha's products, both of which seem to me as overhyped and overpriced.

Good Luck. Glad to have you back.

Planeflyr

13. Backwoodsman Pilot

Jan 25, 2008
    Gleim has some very nice products. You can't beat the online course for $99. The complete private pilot kit is $219.95 and it has more training manuals and books than Sporty's plus the online private pilot course is included. Gleim's complete kit may be the course for me. I'll keep everyone posted and thank you all for your input. It's been a long wait to get back into aviation.

Blessings,

Mark