GT vs Flying Spur | FerrariChat

GT vs Flying Spur

Discussion in 'British' started by miniz, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miniz

miniz Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    I'm going to be looking for a GT or Spur towards the beginning of next year as a daily driver. I have an S class now......also looking at a newer S550 (that would have a warranty). The price range I want to stay in would put me into an 08-10 for the Bentley with low miles. I drive less than 5k miles per year, encounter no snow (live in the South), have connections for parts and labor, and take a proactive approach to service often catching items before they break.

I've read on here so far that I should stay with an 08 or newer GT and 09 or newer Spur to get the post facelift where several major things were fixed. I'd actually be stepping backwards in terms of technology (no BSM/LDA or radar cruise) but it would get me into the exotic class.

Assuming nothing major breaks on the Bentley, I'm actually running cost analysis equations were the car is less expensive to drive for 3 years than a comparable S class purchased for the same initial price (S550 still heavily depreciating - GT/FS flat lining on depreciation).

The real question is how realistic is it that I could drive a post facelift car (that has prior service history, low miles, and never lived in the snow belt) about 15k miles over a 3 year term AND not have any major failures? The parts are expensive even at wholesale and the car would be 8-10 year old when I start the journey.

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've owned a GTC that we put 60k miles on in 4 years. We never had issues with the car aside from minor things like a door seal, trunk close inop, CEL for a ignition coil, and general maintenance. It also chewed up tires pretty good at 10k miles on ave. I sold the car to a friend of mine and it now has 120k miles in it and it's still driven daily. I know it had some expenses at around 115k which ran him $8k at an indy shop (Bentley wanted $14k).

I'm daily driving a RR Wraith now that's still under factory warranty with 22k miles. I've had a few coil packs go bad, wiper issues, window motor, and various software updates along with the general service and tires have had similar wear. All in all I'd say both the Bentley and Rolls Royce have been surprisingly reliable. I'd recommend either car for daily use so long as it's not more than 10 years old or has huge miles to start with.

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Follow jams advice, Ive had them all and driven them all ALOT.
    ANY car today is a computer first, then an automobile........
    10 year old cars for every day use is a disaster waiting to happen.
    The GT is bullet proof, the spur the same except for minor wear and tear parts.
    They are giving them away in the north east in a form of a lease new...
    Id lease and trade in.
    Both fine cars and huge improvements from 20 years ago, but remember your driving a computer....
    IMHO
    GTJOEY1314

4. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I bought a GTC and love driving it. Use it daily. Beware leaking vacuum lines on top of the tranny which is an engine out job. Other common issuea are a drooping roof liner and 3rd break light out. Both can be do it yourself if you are handy. Remember rear seats on the GT are for kids.

5. miniz

miniz Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Are these things I'll have to worry about on post facelift cars 08+ GT or 09+ FS? I thought these items were fixed.