GT4 Build Numbers - Solving the Mystery | Page 4 | FerrariChat

GT4 Build Numbers - Solving the Mystery

Discussion in '308/328' started by NoGoSlow, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    that's not the chassis. mine is stamped 43 there as everywhere else on the car. I just never noticed it on the chassis its self. I remember reading someone said it is under the center council . but not sure where

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    absostone likes this.
  3. P5BNij

P5BNij Rookie

Apr 13, 2017
    Warwickshire England
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    that's actually my wallpaper on my pc

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    What stage is your car at now? is it done? btw the bent lips at the bottom of the door that the door cards screw to also have the build number stamped

6. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I love that photo. Notice how few Rosso cars were in the warehouse? Do you think that was an attempt at brand separation (Dino vs. Ferrari)?

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    not sure. what do you mean?

8. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Regarding brand separation (I assume that's what you're asking), the Dino brand was separate and distinct from Ferrari during the years 1967-1975. My understanding is that these cars were considered a down-market brand, perhaps an entry gateway to lure younger (and presumably less wealthy) customers to eventually move up to the Ferrari brand... where "real Ferraris" were front-engined V12 cars.

As we know, Ferrari brought Dino into the fold during the tough market conditions of 1974-1978. This began on January 7, 1975 when Service Bulletin No. 265/1 provided specifications for adding the Ferrari badge to existing Dino 308 GT4 inventory. Subsequent Series II cars left the factory with Ferrari branding, except for the Dino 308 GT4 script on rear deck lids.

So, back to my original suggestion, perhaps that warehouse had few red Dino 308 GT4 cars because they were aimed at a different segment of buyers.

Or maybe not. ;)

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well it's obvious to me why there are not many red ones
    It's because the Americans haven't painted them red yet!

10. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    :):(:):(:)

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thank you! Drives like a dream too.

12. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Very true, for some reason people think that all Ferraris were, or should be, red. The PO of my car though so, now it is red instead of black as it left the factory. Red seems to add at least 50 hp. Looking at the above factory photo shows just how much better a GT4 looks in colors other than red. If one were to look at the street Ferraris of the 1950's through the 1980's on something like Barchetta.com, red would surely be in the minority. Perhaps the popularity of TV shows like Magnum and Miami Vice planted the red seed.

P5BNij likes this.
  13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No Red here!