GT4 Dashboard, lights and so on. | FerrariChat

GT4 Dashboard, lights and so on.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nickt, Nov 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Guys, my 1978 RHD GT4's dash is not good, I have no lights on any of the instruments, the clock is broken and so on.
    So I want to remove the instrument panel and fix it all..
    I tried to sort it last weekend, i removed the steering wheel but still the aluminium panel is too large to come out easily with the gauges. And there doesn't seem to be a lot/any room behind the gauges for the wiring loom.
    The speedo is already a little ropy and the bezel comes off easily if the rear of the gauge is knocked.

What is the best way to remove the dash and refit it?

Is it easy to lower the steering column?

Kind regards
    Nick

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    maybe pull the alu panels and check the bulbs? fuses, relays etc before you take the dash out? I think removing the steering wheel was not necessary at this point

3. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    No the clock needs replacing as the bezel is damaged, managed to be a NOS stock one on ebay yesterday. I think i will pull the whole dash out and sort it all out for once and for all. IIRC once the dash's end panels are removed there are nits behind, which once removed allow the removal of the whole dash assembly.

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Nick you might want to test the rheostat first,my was faulty in my old GT4 and I lost all my dash lights completely,I just bypassed the rheostat and the dash lights were magic

5. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    The rheostat was bypassed a while ago :(

6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It's a right pita to lower the steering column. I think if you can get a hand in behind and undo the clamp screws on the longest instrument (tacho I think) you can pull that out and then there is just about enough space to get the rest of the panel out.

If you have to lower the column you need to remove the trim piece under the column and then there are a couple of fairly inaccessible horizontal bolts which only go in one way. You will need to support the column on something whilst you are undoing them.

You definitely need the steering wheel removed.

I replaced all the bulbs (except the ignition) with leds on mine. Not 100% happy with the colour choice, but it's certainly a lot brighter.

7. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Umm, going to give it a go this weekend and see what happens. I am thinking loosening the whole dash and raising it slightly might be an easier option than messing with the steering column.

8. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Nick, it will come out as my suggestion on FB. Don’t move the dash, remove wheel and if needed the trim around, it will come but it is fiddly. You have to take off the lugs on the heater controls and the light switches on the right. I have had mine out a few times. It’s also fairly easy to lower/ loosen the steering column

9. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Gav
    Thanks for the message!
    When my car was restored a few years back the screen was replaced and the dash removed. When it was replaced nothing felt right, the vents didn't move properly and nothing seemed to fit behind the gauges.
    the clock has a broken bezel and its all a little ... tired.
    The dash is only held in by 6 nuts, 2 at each end and 2 in the middle. So it comes out REALLY easily!
    I have taken the steering wheel off and undone the 6 nuts, the dash lifts up and the dash instrument panel pulls really easily. some of the captive nuts on the dash are broken, the fog light switch needs replacing, the aircon fan seems to "grind" at high speed so I guess, its a job long overdue,
    I dont have any storage space left on here, so I cant post pics, but I'll put some on facebook.
    I managed to get a NOS clock off ebay for £70.
    Fitting led dash lights, bypassing the variable light switch, and securing the loom out of the way behind the dials :)

10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It was a PITA on mine. It was even more of a PITA to put it back.

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Only if your captive nuts aren't spinning behind the panel!

12. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    The dash was quite easy to remove, 5 8mm nuts hold it in place, 3 are accessed from inside the glove box, the other 2 are accessed from underneath and a flexi 13mm socket
    I'm glad I got it out, all the bolts holding the steering column in place were loose and 1 was missing. The dash was also pushed back towards the screen way too much. Its made of a really brittle black plastic, looks really cheap from underneath.
    I've reglued all vinyl back on underneath and as most of my captive nuts that hold the aluminium panel in place and broken off, I've made a frame with new 5mm captive nuts built in.
    I am guessing when the car was assembled the dash would have been installed complete with gauges, so that is hopefully the way I can get it back in to the car once all the bits turn up.
    i Image Unavailable, Please Login

NoGoSlow and prober34 like this.
  13. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    The dash went back in last night, it is a bit of a squeeze to get over the steering column, but slots in nicely. Prior to refitting I cabled tied the loom to the bulkhead. The wiring loom still had the original ties on, and I guess the holes in the bulkhead where they went. So hopefully the gauges should all fit in nicely now.

14. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
  15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Yes, funny you should say that as it caused me no-end of problems when one fuse had a short to ground and I couldn't figure out where.

The grey wire is on the same fuse as the radio and interior lights. IIRC it loops through the aux power plug and then into the console between the seats, but be sure not to short it to the body and the black (there were 3 live terminals on mine and someone had connected the 3 wires to them)! I replaced my socket with a new one, as it was a bit tired and overheated looking, and bought an adapter to power my phone.