GT4 input | FerrariChat

GT4 input

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Pinarello, Nov 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    considering a GT4 any input from owners?

2. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    I drove one at the porsche experience center. The steering is pretty good, you can feel the front tires understeer through the wheel. The gearbox is really good, much better than the cayman s or gts. It's mechanical and precise and loses the ropey, plasticky feeling. gearbox also has a stronger centering spring, which is badly needed in all porsches. The brake pedal is much improved too. the pedal feels solid and without the squish that normal cayman's have.

The engine makes a pretty good noise, but not gt3 good. it doesnt feel like 385 hp, because you can push the gas down to the floor on acceleration and the car takes it all without drama. I wish you'd at least get a wiggle going in a straight line. I had to have the steering wheel turned to provoke the rear.

If you're 6ft 3, then you wont be able to comfortably heel and toe. still too small inside, cant get the knees all the way under the steering wheel. had to contort too much, so i let the car do the auto rev match.

The light weight buckets look cool, but for me they were way uncomfortable. it felt like sitting on a wooden bench. but they look so cool, i would probably get them anyways if i was looking. its cheaper to buy sport seats later than it is to buy the LW buckets later.

To me, the handling felt similar to the regular caymans. caymans/boxsters , to me, have this weird floaty feeling on initial turn in (steering doesn't really weight up), and then when load gets put through the chassis you get a bit of a wobble that feels like the tires topping, and rolling on the sidewall. in reality, they arent and you can monster the car into the corner, you just have to trust the car beyond those two initial stages. Huge grip.

The car looks more aggressive than a normal cayman, and that sporting purpose is appealing. I'd probably get one in black. But at 100k, I'd rather look for an '07 GT3, or a '10 GT3 with some miles. Or stretch to get a 991 GT3.

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a friend races 2 in IMSA, as good as the cars are, they leave one needing more... in watching them race, the cars continues to struggle to keep up with the rest of the field... while the GT4 club racers have their moments where they shine, those moments are rare... while the GT3 satisfies... the older Caymen do a good job in keeping up in the ST class...

4. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I have a 991 GT3 RS thinking of a GT4 as a fun daily and occasional track car, vs getting a 911 GTS for that role ( more expensive )

As never driven one asking for input from owners, what they like what they don’t what they would change etc

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I had a Gt4 when the came out. It is a great car. Very nice MT. Peppy engine Nicely balanced car. It was very enjoyable to drive. But I also had a Gt3 and later an RS which was a problem for me. I thing the GT4 is a great car if you do not have another Porsche GT car. I tended to not drive the GT4 as much as I might have as the GT3 did everything the GT4 did, but way better. In my opinion, the GT4 should have had about 425 HP. It did leave me wanting in acceleration.

Now that my GT cars have moved on, I find myself missing the GT4 the most and have again considered getting one.

6. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Are the race seats comfortable?, how usable is the car for city driving?

7. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    Race seat comfort depends on body type. Some people find them comfortable, but I found them uncomfortable (over 6 ft tall). There was no lumbar support, no seat tilt, no adjustments. It felt like a wooden bench to me: the seat back and seat cushion were too flat. Also, the side bolsters on the bottom cushion are stiff and deep. So getting out of the car is more of a chore. Having said that, they look awesome and I'd probably have them anyways.

Also, I think the car is about an inch lower than a regular Cayman. That is the biggest thing I'd worry about as a daily driver. The regular Boxster and Cayman have a very usable everyday ride height. No problems with speed bumps, driveways, or steep ramp angles. I don't think the GT4 would be as worry free in that respect.

The GTS, or regular Cayman S would be better daily drivers.

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Race seats are comfy, but could be difficult to get in and out of for daily use.

9. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    I picked up a GT4 in late October and the car is absolutely incredible. Its my first "real" sports car so I have limited experience with other sports cars but for me the car ticked all the boxes while the price was still realistic.

The car has LWBS and I am 5'-11" and find them very comfortable. The only thing I find with the seats is that they do not have much ventilation so your back gets sweaty on longer drives.

The power and grip are a perfect balance but more power is always needed.

Again, without many other mid engine cars to compare to, the initial turn in is incredible.

This car will be my daily once the winter is over with a Ram as my other rig when their are more than just 1 other person.

I think this car is a keeper!

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016