GTB v. GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTB v. GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by rdefabri, Jun 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    They are different cars dynamically.
    The GTS is a terrific cruiser and boulevardier. It looks good and lets the sunshine in. If you like to drive spiritedly however, and that doesn't just mean on a track, the B is a much better car. It feels balanced and turns in one piece rather than flexing its way through a turn with a wave going through the body from front to back.
    I also feel, IMO of course, that the B is the most beautiful Ferrari. Its lines are perfect and balanced and looks good from any angle.

A 77 carb GTB is the pinnacle of the 3x8 series for me.

2. martin.marc

martin.marc Rookie

Mar 29, 2009
    dave is absolutely right, very good thread.

Martin

3. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9dNg-dAEBw

Here's some video from behind the wheel of my "boulevard cruiser" on the track ;). I can't wait to drive a B chassis .. must be incredible.

Either way, these cars can be a ton of fun even on the track once you get them sorted.

cheers

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice camera work/driving. If it had been a GTB you undoubtedly would have passed that 360 Spider and 996 Cab. ;)

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #30 jonesdds, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
    My impression is that the top off is not much more benefit than a sunroof which I don't care much about. l can't believe there is a significant difference between a GTB and GTS in chassis rigidity. Get a GTB unless top off if a absolute necessity, I wish I had. Little easier to find in 308 trim.

Luckydynes, curious about the video and what the track event was. Lots of convertibles. I've considered bmwcca's track events for my 328 but they don't allow convertibles at this point-or they do with ridiculous mods for the type of event that it is.

Jeff

6. martin.marc

martin.marc Rookie

Mar 29, 2009
    if you like convertibles, definitely, a 308 gts, the top off, is at least to compare with a sun roof, no more , while the perfect handling " in one piece "of the GTB ....is gone.
    J do like, and drive convertibles but not in a 308.

Martin

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Drive them back to back and you'll believe. The difference is not subtle.

Dave

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    +1

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Same here plus I like the lines much better in the B, very fluid and sexy.

10. jraken

jraken Karting

Dec 10, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jan
    agree... my 308 GTB feels much more solid compared to my brother's 328 GTS. On rough roads or pebble stone roads you really notice the "sqeaking" of the chassis...

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Buy a Jeep.

Or replace the targa gaskets. On paved roads, mine's tight and quiet.

12. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    No, actually, this is the first thread to explore differences, if any, between the GTB & GTS.

Up till now, I'm surprised anyone even suspected that there -may- be any diff between 'em...

:) :) :) :) :)

I've gotten to where I set my watch on six month intervals, based upon repeating threads :)

13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #38 mustardfj40, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL! mine flexes like crazy on unpaved road :)

Actually, I think it depends on where you live, here the weather is moderate all year round, it's a sin to be boxed in a GTB :), beside I love out being out door enjoy the sun. This Summer I plan to drive from San Francisco down to Los Angeles along the Pacific Highway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1) and will leave the top in the back most of the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Fantastic - good to know this is fresh subject matter! I started the thread based on my experience driving a Lambo Gallardo Spyder. The chassis flex was awful, I mean really unforgivable. Compared to the other cars I had driven in comparison (Ford GT, F430, Audi R8, Aston DB9), the Lambo was so bad that it ranked near the bottom.

That had me thinking about the Forza article on the 328, and the author mentioned a similar sensation with it. Just had me curious if there's really a difference - I know the 308/328 frame is pretty stout, but wasn't sure what others thought.

15. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    If my water temp wasn't hovering between 220 and 250 I would have passed that 996 Cab TURBO ;). Shoot I let the 360 pass 'cause my water was right at 250 at that point on the track. She cooled down to 220 by the time I got on the front straight but I still had to sand bag out of the last turn in 3rd so she wouldn't blow up ... all caused by some really really bad advice I got here.

Also to the to the other poster this was a PCA event but you needed 8 autocrosses or a competition permit/experience with other clubs to run.

And back to the original poster's question, I'm sure the B is more rigid than the S ... I just wonder how many people can actually tell a difference from a peformance perspective ... rattles, squeaks, "perceived rigidity" .... my wife can notice the difference between a Boxster and a Cayman but no way could she tell you one is far superior in handling to the other.

Didn't the B's have different alignment specs AND different spring rates? Both of these will completely alter the way the cars drives. I've been playing with wheel alignments and my S is rock solid to +140 mph even without the front euro spoiler but my car is pretty low. Bumpy windy roads she's okay to around 125 mph.

And just one more point ... I hardly ever drive with the roof off anymore.

cheers

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If you are savvy enough of a driver to notice a good difference between a Gallardo Spyder and other modern berlinettas than I believe you will be able to notice the difference between a S and a B.

And as for you lucky, I am completely with you on 140+ rock solid stability and no front end lift even without the Euro front spoiler. Maybe our cars are just freaks, or......they are just set up correctly :)

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, the old school tubular frames are pretty flexible in these cars. Even the B's will shudder when you go over a bump. The S's are much worse.

A suggestion for S owners......next time you are out with the roof on, place a finger lightly where the roof meets the top frame of the windshield. Even on a smooth road, there is constant movement.

I became a B convert when I happened to own a 77 308 and 87 328 GTS at the same time.

Dave

18. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #43 luckydynes, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    yeah that's really annoying when you're chasing turbo Porsches and slapping around 360's ;).

How about we jack the cars up on one corner and measure the flex in the chassis ... anyone willing to do that with their B? I've wondered if my harness bar is adding rigidity or something?

cheers

19. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    No not that kind ... too many medications out there.

I was thinking we could just sit a car on 3 jack stands with a jack under the 4th corner ... and see how far we have to jack that corner from level until one of the other corners start to lift off?

Maybe it has to be way more precise and actually dynamically loaded to really see any measurable difference?

Just a thought ... I know the S body flexes when you just jack one corner but I haven't thought much about how to quantify/measure it.

cheers

20. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Here's what I did ... I put a 2 x 4 on 3 of the my 4 car lift points ... 2 on the front and 1 on the back passenger side. Be careful if you do this 'cause the center of mass is such that the car wants to fall onto the "low" jack point which was only one 2x4 thickness away.

So there was 3/8" clearance to the frame on the driver side rear when I would "balance" the car onto the three 2 x 4's ... which is net 1 1/8" distortion. I'm not sure if this number is meaningful to anyone just on it's own. I have my scale data which I think we would use to calculate an actual stiffness, but just comparing to a B would be very interesting. Car weights have some effect but I think for just a rough number we're close enough.

I would luv to see 1/8" movement ... or less ... whatever. Be a neat data point though.

Cheers,

Sean

21. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Has anyone else notiiced a considerable amount of chasis flex when opening the doors on a GTS? Mine moves enough that you can feel the car sag a little. This thread has made me paranoid.

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, my doors drag on the ground whenever you open them and the steering wheel presses against my chest. :(

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GTB ! ....

GTB ! ....

GTB ! ....

GTB ! ...

:cool:

24. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    You should get that fixed P.D.Q. ; or unload it on ebay. If all else fails try Jenny Craig.;)

25. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have an 83 GTS and I have to say, it’s very flexi. The top squeaks, the car shimmies over repetitive bumps. It stays surefooted, but it is noticeable. In hindsight (and if the a/c actually worked in these cars) I would get a GTB for the stiffness and ride comfort.

But the reality is, drive any new convertible verses the hard top and I think your going to find the same thing. I rented a Toyota Solara, nice car, but I thought the doors were going to fly open crossing railroad tracks!

Having the top on the car makes a big difference with rigidity. It also helps keep the meat on your forehead should you ever choose to point the rubber side up!