GTC Electric Fuel Pumps | FerrariChat

GTC Electric Fuel Pumps

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Aug 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Im working on a client's GTC car for restoration.

I noticed that the Elect Fuel Pump for the car at the rear wheel has actually 2 electric fuel pumps.

Car is a mid to late car 10061. I have not seen this before and was wondering - has anyone else with a
    GTC have 2 fuel pumps and if so are there another changes down the line of the fuel system that
    goes with this? I did notice as well there was a block off plate on the mechanical pump and no fuel bowl.

My initial reaction is that someone has modified the orig system and flow - but before i attempt to
    reverse all this i wanted to check to see what other experience out here has seen.

Appreciate the advise. The fuel system also has the canister for the filter at the rear wheel as well.

I see nothing in the parts books that would tell me anything different than to assume this was modified.

Appreciate the feedback..

2. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Have you ever seen the supplemental Technical Information Letters pertaining to the production changes
    on late 330GTC/S models and onward to the 365GTC/S models? These were published in March of 1969.

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    NO i have not but I'm sure i need to read these asap!!!

Where do i go to get a copy of these?

4. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Here is the page pertaining to the fuel system for the late 330GTC and 365GTC. I don't know exactly when/what serial number they implemented
    these bulletins into production, but the bulletins are dated March of 1969.

Attached Files:

Bowzer likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so 2 fuel pumps parallel like in the carb 512 BB

6. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    or any other 365 model

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: To actually answer your question, to my knowledge, no 330 GTC/GTS cars were built with twin electric pumps. The changeover occurred with the 365 GTC/GTS cars. Obviously the factory approved of converting the single mechanical/single electric pump setup to the later twin electrics. The reason for this change was the mechanical/electric pump cars had a tendency to have the electric pump cavitate if it was turned on "after" the engine began to get hot during heavy, slow traffic. If you saw the traffic slow down ahead and turned the electric pump on early, it would pickup the fuel and everything would be fine as the engine got hotter, but if you tried to get the electric pump to function with the fuel system hot, it would cavitate and just "click" like crazy and move no fuel. The twin electrics solved this problem.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you for the reply.....i will do some research and reach out to others with higher serial numbers to evaluate
    if this has happened. Funny though, on our car 10061 those pumps in the picture of the 365 diagram is exactly what i took
    off the car! The typical copper fuel line was replaced with a rubber line on the car. Quite possible someone has been
    making changes before the current owner took possession of the car - which was 25+ yrs ago and parked it until now.

As a side question on the original pump - was the pump the black fispa pump that mounts on the flat bracket at the rear wheel?

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: 10061 was right in the period where the 330 GTC/GTS switched over to the single Bendix electric pump. Only the Build Sheets will tell you for sure. However, the frame mounts are different so that could give you some guidance. My best guess is that the car was converted to the twin pumps and your inspection of the frame will tell you if it originally had a Fispa or single Bendix.

10. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Good point, Dyke.
    My GTC, 10795, came with a single Fispa pump and continuous headaches, especially in traffic/hot weather when it would vapor lock and pump only fumes.
    The mechanical pump worked intermittently.
    Finally, I installed and aircraft electric pump under the spare tire and never had a problem.
    Since I drive my car quite regularly, both in-town and on long trips, I can't afford the nonsense with the original pumps.

This is the pump I use: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/solidstatepump.php

Part number 60301. I figure that if it's good enough for aircraft, it's good enough for my GTC.

Bob Z.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    at that time it was not other possible or available

but I wonder about the cheap prices for the aircraft fuel pumps

12. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    In June of 1967 Ferrari sent a Technical Info Letter to the dealers about the vapor lock problem on the 330GTC models.
    I have attached it here for your review.

Attached Files: