Guess what I drove today? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Guess what I drove today?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Oct 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, that was NOT much rest................LOL!

2. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I like the yellow 365GTC he's selling even more!

http://www.bobileff.com/f_365gtc.htm

Dr. Uro - don't despair. You're car is out there somewhere. You'll find it!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow! That is nice........how about yellow, Euro?

"color may vary depending on your monitor"....LOL!

Yellow is good......

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Real bummer UroTrash. Maybe the next one will be the charm.

Dom

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Maybe the next one, huh,......

I ain't saying anything, but I'm smiling again. Hope to post some fun news next week.
    It was a short rest.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    BTW, although it did not work out, Mr. Bill Noon was an absolute gentleman!

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Michael, I've inspected this car and have copies of the repair receipts. PM me if you're interested.

8. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Regarding this car (09955) as most of you are aware a member of this site placed a deposit on this car pending an inspection.

The inspection revealed a variety of minor problems but no major problems excepting that a check valve in the master cylinder locked up and the brakes froze after just a few miles of the test drive. The inspector bled-off the master cylinder and drove the car back to his shop to finish the rest of the inspection.

I am going to try and have scans made of the full inspection report and post them for those interested in seeing this report.

We have returned the deposit in full, however we have two back-up offers on the car and it is still not available for purchase at this time.

I assure you that it is in my best interest to see that this car finds a good home and I would be happy to accomodate each of you individually. To be honest, I had no idea how much interest would be generated by this car on this site.

To be fair to all intersted parties, if the car is again available, I will let you know through this site.

Regards,

Bill Noon

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I got a chance to look at the 365 GTC at Bobileff a few months ago - it presents itself much nicer than the 330 GTC he has, IMHO.

Also, if this is the direction you're going, I can say based on my own experience that the 365 GTC feels noticeably faster than the 330 GTC, even though it may not be all that much faster.

Good Luck!

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art:

Good advice, and nice car you have there! Very practical, those 2+2's.

Uro could probably buy the best 330 2+2 in the world for a lot less than the rusty GTC.

11. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Bill,

What is disturbing is that the car was touted as a clean, nice car. Granted they are about 30 years old, most cars have little things wrong with them.

I bought a Ferrari from your LA showroom in Aug of 2002 from Mike, Günter and Harry. Mike said that all the service had been done and had receipts and would provide them after the sale, which never happened. All I got was excuses and non-returned e-mail. Harry said the car was perfect 2 owner CALIFORNIA car. Harry said it was in California the whole time. Günter said the car was excellent. Being new to exotic cars and not familiar with PPI's at the time, I did not get one. Sure enough I was told AFTER I paid cash for the car that it needed new cats to pass smog and when I got it home, I checked the oil and it was 4 quarts low. I took the car in for service later that week and I was told the following.

1. Rear brakes are leaking
    2. Belts were approx 5 years old and showed cracking.
    3. Needed new brake pads
    4. Aux belts needed replacing.
    5. cam seals leaking.

While going through the books that came with the car, I found a release of liability form from FERRARI OF DENVER. How was this a California car? I contact Joel Lepo of Bozeman Montana who was the owner listed on the form. Joel said he bought it from a fashion designer from Miami and that he got it from a lawyer from South Carolina. I found out from Ferrari of Denver that the car was sold to a wholesaler in Nevada who sold the car to a guy in California who traded it in at a Toyota Dealership who sold it to Symbolic. How was this a 2 owner, all California car?

Jim, who is also on the board, bought a Ferrari from you as well, except his was 9 quarts low on oil when he got it home.

Bottom line is, if you are going to tout a car as a excellent or perfect car, at least check the oil before you let someone drive it off the lot and not let your sales people say what the customers want to hear.

Matt

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Matt...

All this sort of stuff is why I dont buy cars from dealers.

My philosophy is to take your time, make lots of phone calls and network all you can. Word of mouth is often the way to find the best cars. Try to find a car for sale privately that has been in the hands of the guy selling it for a long time. You want the long term fanatic owner who is now selling for some valid sort of reason. He has a stack of receipts several inches thick, and he can walk you around the car giving you a detailed history. THEN have a complete PPI done!

It just seems with most dealers that the desire (or need) to shift inventory is the top priority. Heck... that IS the top priority! A dealer who is not selling wont be a dealer for long.

Terry

13. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Terry

My last car I bought from a authorized ferrari dealer and all I was promised, I recieved. Bryant at FoBH was a no B.S. kinda guy.

It will be private party or authorized dealer from now on.

Matt

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

Thanks for the nice words. I like yours, the 4 headlight design in silver is sharp.

Regards,

Art S.

15. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Mr. Noon, this is in no way directed at you, I have no experience dealing with you and always give the benefit of the doubt when dealing in business, but your statement above surprised me and I thought that I would write the following as clarification.

The internet has become the de facto way of checking collectible objects and the capabilties and honesty of the dealers who are selling them. I am not a Ferrari collector (although I have a couple), but I am a pretty avid and experienced collector of English shotguns. I can tell you for a fact that a couple of the less scrupulous dealers have literally been run out of business as a result of internet communication between their customers and ex-customers. A typical collector (or car buyer) "pre-internet" got to make his own (sometimes costly) mistakes first and then, as he became more skilled and knowledgeable, he might over time get to meet a small circle of like minded acquaintances to assist the collector in his queries ("stay away from Jim, his guns have issues, etc.").

Today, there are bulletin boards for every collectible and if you post a question on one of them such as "How is Jim as a dealer?" or "what do you guys know about the Purdeys Jim is advertising?" you will receive replies (and private messages) from lots of actual customers of ol' Jim and you don't have to read between the lines to know whether or not you ought to be laying out $85,000 for a pair of the between-the-wars Purdeys that Jim is advertising as "perfect".

This situation is enormously helpful to the good dealers, they get far more exposure to people with money to spend. But it absolutely is slaying the shady, unprincipled, or incompetent dealers.

I think it's just terrific. I don't understand the psychology of people trying to pass off goods as something that they aren't and I'm happy for resources that give me access to far better minds than mine to help in my buying decisions.

My $.02

16. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    If you want a good car just buy the one at FJ .
    When I saw that car in August I wished that Tony Nicosia would come here to the Netherlands TO DO SOME CARS FOR ME.
    And to Bruce Trennery (FJ) I would send any amount of money without seeing the car, My family has done 20 years of bussiness with him and never had any problems.
    So just have look at that car and take your decision then.

Yours,
    TOTO70_0

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Respectfully, I, personally have 185,000 reasons not to buy it! TOO nice to bang around in!