Had a play given a reading in Paris today. | FerrariChat

Had a play given a reading in Paris today.

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by johnireland, Feb 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    A theatre company that focuses on new writing, Moving Parts, turned to Zoom when the pandemic shut down the venues for their live performances. Today, at 7 pm Paris time, with one of the actors live in Washington DC, and with me in Los Angeles eating a 10 am breakfast of fresh fruit and black coffee, the Moving Parts Theatre Company performed my play "Mom and Dad Meet in Heaven." These are live readings, not full production. It gives the writer a chance to see and their work with real actors, and get a sense of what work (or what doesn't). Great fun for me...I've had a glow and buzz going all day, since.

anunakki, 1Superleggera, JJ and 7 others like this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Just had a new play accepted by the same theatre company in Paris. "Blind Man on a Bench" will be performed sometime this fall.

anunakki, 1Superleggera, JJ and 3 others like this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Congratulations!

By the way, I saw your father in “A Walk in the Sun” and “I Love Trouble” this week.

NYC Fred and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can I be Frank? Or Sam? Or Charlie?

You’re a better person when you’re outside P&R. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Different world, different issues.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    A Walk in the Sun was his very first part in a movie. And he got to pick the part of Windy. How strange it feels to be 50 years older than he was when he made it.

7. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Think I woulda liked your old man...

((At age 45, on his affair with 16-year-old Tuesday Weld] If there wasn't such a difference in our ages I'd ask her to marry me. That and her mother are the only things that stop me.))

Texas Forever and Jack-the-lad like this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That was an excellent war movie. Even the title is great. I can’t believe I’d never seen it before.

9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland

It was a much simpler version of Saving Private Ryan...with a simpler mission...go twelve miles down the road and seize a farm house and blow up a bridge. The whole movie takes place in 6 to 7 hours. But many of the "scenes" and characters in Private Ryan seemed very similar to those in A Walk in the Sun.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Very impressed, congratulations.

My French Parisian grandfather did business in American in the twenties and thirties, where he tried his hand at writing plays for amateur performances in a few American cities. It was the vogue in certain circles; and he spoke good English. We still have a few of his scenarios ad scripts. He dreamed of getting a show on Broadway!

Now, decades later, I'm returning to America for a different reason, but with echoes of my grfandfather . Next week I'll deliver at paper in WashingtonDC, at the annuel conférence of the North American Sartre Society. A minuscule audience, but I wil be thinking of my grandfather.

NYC Fred and Texas Forever like this.
  11. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I'm having another play being read on Nov. 6th. Same French/English theatre company, out of Paris. I'd love to here more about your presentation. I loved his autobiography, "The Words." I used the book's ending as the ending to a film I wrote, though it never got made. Regards, John

Texas Forever and JJ like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I tried to read Sartre several times. Gave up. His writing makes suicide look like a viable option.

NYC Fred likes this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If you haven't read "The Words" I think you'll find it quite the opposite. It only covers his childhood, which is where his journey began. It was both fun and touching. And the title reflects on his discovery of words and how this shaped his life.

14. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Now that is very interesting. Did you know that John Huston commissioned Sartre to write the scenario for a film he was to make, a biopic of Sigmund Freud? Simone de Beauvoir recounts the story. The couple spent some time at Huston's grand estate in Ireland, where the director had settled late in life. Sartre and Huston disliked each other from the word go. Sartre remained dressed in his ill-fitting suits and tie throughout the stay, in the middle of the Irish countryside. Huston was absent on several occasions, as he was Mater of the Hounds for the local hunt.

Sartre completed the film script and got paid. Huston chucked it -it would have made a film eight hours long- and he hired another scriptwriter to complete the scenario.

I would dearly like to read your plays, though ideally see them in Paris, which I visit every other month.

My paper at the NASS conference was based on an incident from 1965. Sartre had been invited by Cornell to give a series of talks on literature and philosophy. With a month to go, Sartre cancelled rescinded his visit, ostensibly on the grounds that America had increased its aerial bombardment over North Vietnam. The cancellation stirred interest and Sartre was subjected to a probing interview by a French current affairs weekly called Le Nouvel Observateur (still going). One of the Cornell professors wrote an open letter 'An Américain écrit a Sarte', reproving him for his cancellation. In the Nouvel Observateur, Sartre replies briefly that further discussion would be pointless, that this is a dialogue of the deaf. Thirty years later, a Cornell president gave an a commencement address in which echoes of the dispute lingered, because in his address he accused Sartre of 'wanting to keep his bands clean', citing Sartre's play 'Les Mains Sales.'

https://www.northamericansartresociety.org/ My talk is in session 5.

Texas, I think John's advice to read 'The Words' is worth following up. His wry autobiography, self-deprecating, is a good and easy book.

The NASS holds its annual conference each year in a different city. In 2018 I gave a paper at their gathering in Fredericksburg. I have grown fond of the small group of academics, mostly philosophers, who carry the flame for existentialism in the US

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Rene, if you find yourself coming to Los Angeles, give a yell and I'll take you my little pieces of Paris that exist here. And check out the movie Belle Vie on YouTube or Amazon...an amazing story (non-fiction) of a wonderful man, Vincent Samarco.

The evolutions of American philosophy and European philosophy, in my opinion, are rooted in the very different social, architectural, and financial environments of these two worlds during the 18th and 19th centuries. The man, for me, who took existentialism from theory to actuality is the finder of Gestalt Therapy, Fritz Perls. But, for all the efforts to find a path through and to the Here and Now, the human race still appears to be confusing self-awareness with cell phone selfies.

tritone likes this.
  16. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Thank you, John, that's a generous invitation. I was last in Los Angeles three years ago (another conference, this time on art spoliation and restitution) and I've always enjoyed the city. Meanwhile, I'll check out Belle Vie and get back to you.

Yes, I agree with your perspective on the divide in American and European philosophies. My own divide is, roughly, two, or two and a half tendencies. The European school, rationalism vs British empiricism in the 18th and 19th century; then their outgrowths in the 20th, so phenomenology in the early European 20th century vs Anglo-American analytic schools; the 'half' is as in Wittgenstein, the philosophy of language, more Anglo than Continental. Meanwhile, I'm going to look up Fritz Perls.

17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    With Fritz, the best two samples of his writing are "Gestalt Therapy Verbatim" and "In and Out of the Garbage Pail." His first work, "Ego, Hunger and Aggression" should not be the first read. Be well.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I wish I was a better man and could read Sartre. But at 70, I’m not interested in philosophy. All I want to do is drive or dance.

19. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René