Handling Speciale - How to tell | FerrariChat

Handling Speciale - How to tell

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by alex, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm looking at a 2013 California that has several options, some detailed and others which are bundled in a "OTHER OPTIONS" line item. The Special Handling package (HS) is not listed in the details. The dealer has no idea and can't tell.

Is there an easy way to determine if a car has the HS or not? (colored side grill is not a a tell as I've seen several cars with the HS but normally colored grill)

Thanks
    -A

2. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Yes there is a special badge on the center arm rest. Also, the exhaust pipes have a different color than standard. Also google the serial a description may show up from the original sale or subsequent sales.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The dealer should be able to supply the VIN to Maranello and get an answer. Also, it should specify it in the options list.
    Besides the badge on the armrest, there were also a set of HS specific silver vent "grilles" behind the front wheels and a silver front grille.

Is this car at an authorized Ferrari dealer? Seems very strange that they would not know this. It's not like it's not significant to a potential buyer.

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

The grille color is not an absolute tell as I have seen at least 3 Cal 30s with HS package but with side grille same as car color.
    Also, I'm quite sure that every Cal 30 I've seen so far (with or without HS) has had the same tail pipes, with chrome tips.
    Could either of you be more specific as to where exactly on the console the badge would be and what it would say or look like? I have attached 3 photos of a car that I know does have the HS package and I'm not seeing any badge. Is it inside the armrest?

As far as the "dealer should know", I agree, but they don't. The car is quite heavily optioned and has a sizable $$$ amount in the spillover "Other Options" line item, plenty to accommodate the HS package. Yes, dealer will be contacting Ferrari but not likely to gat an answer till sometime next week.

Again, any additional details or leads will be greatly appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    It does not have the badge and the tail pipes will not be chrome tipped. They are a matte very dark grey color.

6. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    The badge is found on the end of the middle arm rest the car you are showing doesn’t have it on the armrest

7. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
  8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is a normal 30. Note that the HS was a no cost option and not all like it. Not much of a bargaining tool in this regard.

Make sure the car has Magneride. That's a dealbreaker for many and will add unnessecary depreciation if missing.

Chizz likes this.
  10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Whoops sorry! I completely missed the fact it wasn’t a Cali T!

11. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ummm no. The HS package was a $7700 option and brings a higher premium second hand market over a base.

OP: The armrest badge was only added with the T and not on the Cali30. You can have the dealer do a VIN request with Ferrari and they will be able to tell you. I highly recommend the HS package, it's a must. It has a faster steering ratio, better ECU programming and better suspension than the base model. Also side info, the Cavallino on the center bridge was removed on the Cali30 so while shopping it's a dead giveaway if you look at 2012's. The VIN will also designate a 30 over a gen1 by the 6th digit. Its a T in the Cali30 and L in the base. If you find a non-F car dealer with a late model 2012 they might have a Cali30 without knowing it which can save you $!

12. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
  13. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Quite sure it was a no cost option here in Europe.