Handmade Alloy 250 GTO | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Handmade Alloy 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by albow, Mar 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Not an onslaught, I share a lot of your views, except one.

You think you are 'entitled' to build a replica because you can afford the real thing. Wow, that's quite a statement. And then further, you tell those who can't afford the real thing to go play with their Pinto's.

Many owners of the real thing buy their parts and bodyparts from the UK. The Stratos built there, or offered in kit version, is a very close match to the genuine article, and if you can find a proper drivetrain might be indistinguishable. Yet it is a damn sight cheaper than an original Stratos, and will, even with an Alfa Romeo V-6, give much if not all of the feeling of an original. I applaud both manufacturers of them, and have considered building one in the past and still might.

But I understand now that I have to check first if I can afford a real one to do so in an acceptable manner.

I certainly take exception to that view.

Success with your build.

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    My apologies for the above post; it is continued in the replica thread (where the original post came from in the first place) for those interested.

To redeem the original poster: Reed clarified his viewpoint, and I certainly no longer take exception. We're in agreement.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is possible that one of these cars has been finished. From the photo I believe in my 100% completely personal opinion that they have got the side window profile not dead right. A common GTO replica problem so must be difficult.

See: http://www.classiccar.co.nz/news-7900/chris-amon-ferrari-gto

No other comments I promise.
    Pete