Has anyone re-imported a car back to the US? | FerrariChat

Has anyone re-imported a car back to the US?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I’m about to purchase a 360 in Canada that is originally a US car. Has anyone re-imported a US car back to the states from Canada? I’m planning on driving it via the border back to Southern California.

2. mikevf430

mikevf430 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You will need a customs broker that will arrange documents for border crossing. There few online brokers that I’ve used for crossing border at Niagara Falls (Toronto) and Champlain (Montreal). They will have all documents ready for you ahead of time . I suggest arriving early to the border as it may take few hrs to clear customs. I think cost is about $200-$250 for documents preparation . As long as your new car has Miles on speedometer you are good . They will need bill if Sale , copy of the title , your drivers license, passport copy. Took me about 72 hours to get all paperwork in order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I just re-imported my Boss 302 LS to the US to trade in on my F car and definitely use a broker. Broker fees are like previous poster said plus there is about a 1% US Customs fee based on value of vehicle.
    I paid $300 on a value of $30000...but the Boss was also built in the US

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mikevf430 likes this.
  4. mikevf430

mikevf430 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Right, forgot about Duty fee’s

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Why would you pay import fees for a car that has been already imported to the US?? That doesn’t make sense
    With that in mind in theory you would need to pay import fees on a watch you are wearing every time you come back

6. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I’m not sure why I had to pay that...but that’s what the Broker said I had to pay and I had to give the funds to the Transport driver to pay at the US Boarder.
    I just looked up the info and it says duty fee if proof of previous registration in the US
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Exactly, it does not make sense and the broker just treated the car as it has never been registered before in the US

8. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    If the Broker treated it like it never was originally a US car and was a Canadian car being imported to the US it would be a 2.5% duty.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I’ll phone the Broker I used for importing my F430 to Canada today and ask about it as I have another question about the $4000 Gas Guzzler Tax I paid based on the fuel consumption rating the Government set.

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I brought back a car that was originally US. Helped that I had the customs document from when it was originally brought from US to Canada.

Not a big deal overall but I think it took me about 3 hours to get through customs.

10. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I just spoke to a broker and they say I have to pay the 2.5% duty to customs plus a bond for the car which made no sense to me. They said the 2.5% duty was because of the car being made in Italy and only cars made in Mexico, US and Canada were exempt.

11. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yes if the car was never imported before
    Time to get a better broker

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Gosh these brokers sound like bozo’s.

13. smdzucladoc

smdzucladoc Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Herman
    I got my car from Canada that was originally sold in US and imported to Canada. I ask the same question regarding the duty fee. I have a close friend who is a supervisor at US Customs and he says if you were the original owner who exported the car to Canada, and then bringing the car back yourself, then you do not have to pay the 2.5%, otherwise duty applies. I used a transport and brokerage service so I had to pay duty of car value-$10000 exemption. If you drive the car yourself, he said you might find a sympathetic customs agent, but per customs regulation duty applies.

550nitis likes this.
  14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Not debating with you but this is what I found on the CBP website, it doesn’t state anything about original owner, as long as you can prove the car was sold originally in the US (documentation that maybe the car didn’t have but maybe you can get a record from the DMV from the state it was originally sold)
    I once registered a car that I purchased in Massachusetts and then register in Mexico, when I went to the the CA DMV to register the car they only asked for the Mexican registration and the MA title (which I still had) and the document that certified the importation to Mexico (pedimento)
    Nothing else, but I just crossed the border with the car driving, no questions asks but no shipping company involved, so I guess the only way to do to avoid this is driving it through the border with the Canadian/Mexican plates, and in some cases paying 2.5% AGAIN would be more cost effective.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
    A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.
    In some countries, it will be difficult or impossible to obtain unleaded fuel for your vehicle. If the vehicle is driven using leaded gasoline, it will be necessary for you to replace the catalyst and oxygen sensor upon its return to the U.S. To avoid the expense of replacing these parts you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensor before the vehicle is shipped overseas. The EPA telephone number for these authorizations is (202) 564-2418. When the vehicle returns to the U.S., the original catalyst and oxygen sensor will need to be reinstalled. However, you may now reenter your U.S. version vehicle into the U.S. without bond, upon your assurance that you will have the reinstallation performed.

15. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I called to the agent also and he specifically said that I had to pay since I wasn’t the original owner. Hopefully I’ll find a simpathetic agent!

16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    When I called and spoke to a border agent, he said I had to pay the duty. When I read to him what their site said about it, the above quote, he said that he didn’t know what his site said but regardless he knew I had to pay for the duty since I wasn’t the original owner. Hopefully get a simpathetic agent or will have to speak with a supervisor. Fingers crossed.

17. smdzucladoc

smdzucladoc Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Herman
    That was what I posted earlier about having to be the original owner.

I finally found the email from my buddy.

This guy used to work for me (he said some officers will let u go even u r not the original owner but by law they don't have to. So be nice when you call the port you about to cross, provide them with what you have and they should be able to tell you charge or no charge.) see below....

I can’t tell you if there is any duty on the vehicle without knowing where the car was made. Depending on where the vehicle was made the duty would either be free or 2.5%. The reimportation rule would be for the original owner of the vehicle.

The vehicle MUST state on it that it complies with U.S. EPA and DOT. The DOT sticker is usually inside the driver side door. The DOT sticker is usually under the hood somewhere. It MUST have both of these stickers on the vehicle. If it was already registered in the U.S. I am sure it already has these stickers on it, but if it doesn’t have them or only has one of them he will then need a letter from the manufacturer stating that this vehcle complies with all U.S. DOT and EPA regulations.

Also keep in mind that if he has the vehicle shipped or the vehicle is going to be used for commercial reasons it is now considered a commercial importation and he will need a commercial broker. So he will have broker fees to add to this. If he is able to and wants to save some money and the vehicle is for personal use he can go get the car and import it himself. This would now make it a personal shipment and would not need a broker. The only thing he would need then is the bill of sale and make sure the vehicle complies with U.S. DOT and EPA. If he goes and gets it himself, have him call the port in which he plans on crossing at to see if there is any duty.

If he crosses himself make sure that he gets a CBP Form 7501. This is the form that he will need to take to the DMV to license and register it when he gets it home. This shows them that the vehicle was imported into th U.S. legally. If he has it shipped and goes through a broker, the broker should take care of this and get the form for him. “

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The car I brought back was originally a us car. I was not the original owner however paid no import duty (as it was originally us car)

19. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    I was going to buy one from Canada 2 yrs ago.no duty over 10 yrs old I believe as long as it was a u.s. car

550nitis likes this.
  20. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Same here as INTMD8. I bought my 2004 360 out of Montreal two Februarys ago, and drove it across the border. It was originally sold in the US, and then taken to Canada a few years later by the owner.
    I don't believe I paid any fees at all. Zero.
    I completed the paperwork myself ahead of time which is absolutely simple (the brokers don't want you to know that), and had a copy of the original sales sticker to prove it was a US car originally. It took about an hour at customs.

550nitis likes this.
  21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Thank you so much. That’s exactly what I have been hearing as well. Hopefully the guy will be nice. The other thing is that it’s a Ferrari coming through.

22. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Hoping that will be the same experience. Question, how did you pay for the car? They want a wire transfer prior to picking up.

23. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I've done this twice, actually. For my 360 in Montreal and for a 308 in British Columbia.
    For the 360, I was buying from an established dealer so I went ahead and wired the funds after the car passed the PPI done by a third party, and in advance of my flight to pick the car up.
    For the 308 I was buying from an individual, so I pre-arranged with my banker to wire funds over the phone once I met the guy and personally inspected the car. To do this I had to sign some paperwork at the bank and the phone call to my banker for the wire was required to come from my cell phone (so make sure you can call from Canada). It took a few hours for the funds to be received.
    I did have to pay a 2.5% (I think) tax on the sale price of the 308 at the border. I had a simple sales receipt I printed off the internet that the seller and I signed.
    Again, the customs paperwork was super easy and I did it in advance.
    Both times, I called the actual border crossing office before I made the trip, and told a person there what I was intending to do, and if there was any advice he/she had for me including busy times to avoid etc. And with that person's name in my pocket, I had a resource to go to if I ran into trouble.

550nitis likes this.