Have any of you had trouble with Exoticar.com? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Have any of you had trouble with Exoticar.com?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jonesn, Sep 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Against my wishes, two family members ordered gifts for me from Exoticar.

The items (Ferrari bath towel set in red, and a beautiful 1:18 scale BBR Enzo that was on the cover of their Christmas catalog) are backordered, and did not arrive in time for Christmas.

After the hell I went through trying to get a birthday gift that was ordered from Exoticar last year and did not arrive after 5 months, I do not expect to ever see these Christmas gifts. I tried to explain to my family that one should never order anything from Exoticar, only purchase if the item is in stock.

I did buy a few gifts from Exoticar this year, but I went to their store in person. The owner, Peter, had just left for the day in his 911 Turbo, and the girls working behind the register were far more concerned with talking on their cell phones about which night-club they were going to that night then actually helping anyone in the store. After hearing that every car on my father's wish list was out of stock, I settled on a few models that they did have, as I did not want to wait until 2006 to give my father his gift.

As for the Enzo and towel set, it really was the thought that counts. But I wont hold my breath until they arrive.......

Alex

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    'backordered' can mean 'didn't come in','sold out quickly', or 'we arent going to ever send it'......take your pick.

Strangely, I spent almost an hour once trying to order some stuff, very helpful staff, but it seems she was only able to check stock by emulating an order. Time after time after time.......never DID find any Lambo caps althought the catalog showed FIVE styles...all were B/O.

Pretty wierd.....I sell electricity, I don't think that would work for my business model. It does bring to mind my tire store's slogan over in Austin Texas:

"If it's in stock, we got it!"

3. FIXEDupW209

FIXEDupW209 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    wow im so shocked by all this. I constantly go into the beverly hills store(they moved to cannon) and its one of my favorite stores to just roam around in. Thanks for all the info i am and will deffinately never order anything from them. Im sticking to the store

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    :D

priceless!!

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    They are horrible. I used them on SEVERAL occasions and done lots of BIG orders but still got treated horribly. That wholesale manager who sometimes answers the phone (Mark or something) is a complete Jacka**!

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

almost as bad as that rare model cars site eh?

7. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Hi fellow collectors,

I have learned over my years of collecting never to order a model car from a dealer unless it's in stock. All manufacturers are notorious for very long delays in shipping, especially new models which can be years late! A good example is Exoto. They regularly advertise models for sale years in advance of actual production. I can speak factually having two models on order directly with Exoto for over 2 1/2 years and NO tentative delivery date yet!

When placing an order with any dealer, make sure they check inventory and confirm that the model(s), and / or items you want are in stock. In regards to charges on your credit cards, Exoticar is definitely out of line putting through any charges until the actual item is shipped. This is something that should be taken up with your credit card company if the staff at Exoticar refuses to remove the charges promptly.

I have only ordered from Exoticar on a few occasions and in all cases they verified the items were in stock. Delivery was never a problem.

8. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Noel,

You are absolutely correct about delays on bringing products to market. This has been frustrating us dealers as well. We hear different reasons why. The diecast industry is definately going through a tough time right now. We are not alone though, as this economy has effected many businesses and industries. This year I have seen alot of future diecast projects being cancelled by the manufacturers.

One thing we do is to verify that we have an item in stock, even if our inventory list shows it in stock. This will save you from an embarassed situation. On our website, all of the items are in stock unless the item says BACK ORDER or PRE-ORDER. Helps to take the guess work out.

The credit card companies will tell you that retailers can legally charge your credit card when you place an order, but it is not a good business practice to do so. I agree with this philosophy. We don't charge until we physically have the item in our posession and we are shipping it to the customer.

Ross

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can only whip those little Chinese kids so hard, man............:rolleyes:.

10. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    Just a quick bit of onfo on the CREDIT CARD charged when items not shipped. It is supposedly against the law to charge for anything if the product has not been shipped.

As far as the issues with Exoticar, I hear to many stories from my customers about the crap that they have pulled. Do not buy online or over the phone. Try your best to go to an actual store.

11. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Todd,

I was told by the credit card companies that it is not illegal for the retailer to charge you once you place an order. I don't agree with that, but that is what they said. I don't like it when I am charged for an item that the distributor,dealer or manufacturer doesn't even have to ship me and I don't expect anyone else to like it either. Just a bad way of doing business.

I understand your statement about not buying from online stores or over the phone is your opinion, but many people have had very good experiences buying from online retailers. You just have to make sure that the retailers are reputable and have a secure shopping cart on their website. Most are alot safer than using eBay.

Ross

12. SilverOne

SilverOne Karting

Dec 10, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    So glad to hear that I am not alone.., which I thougth I was. I had an order with them from 11/03, at the time, they were having some christmas specials on the Mattel 360s. I followed up about every 2 weeks for months, and was told that they're on back order. For the next few months, I actually forgot about my order.

I finally cancelled my order last month, it's ridiculour to have something on back order for an entire year!!! The customer service manager on the phone offered me other cars currently available on their website, but at the regular price, which is not what I ordered nor wanted.

I would not do business with them ever again. I can not imagine any sort of business holding on to an order for 1+ year??

13. CabooseF430

CabooseF430 Karting

Dec 18, 2004
    Damn i just ordered a $300 1:18 BBR Enzo Ferrari enzo ferrari diecast that was back ordered now im a little worried about it v_v

14. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    SilverOne,

Unfortunately in this business, we (dealers) are at the mercy of the manufacturers in receiving our stock. If a dealer shows an item on back order for a long period of time, it usually means that there has been a delay from the manufacturer. If that dealer doesn't have it, there is a good chance that the other dealers don't have any in stock either. I'm not trying to defend Exoticar for any customer service problems, I just wanted to inform you of what we are up against.

Ross

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    lol I just remembered they owe me a Diablo S.V. from at least 5 months ago. Hah, I completely forgot about it.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I ordered some things for my son for Christmas from Exoticar.com on Dec 3. On the 23rd I called them to find out where the hell my order was. I got some guy on the phone that took all the blame (it's all my fault) and told me that the items I ordered were in Customs and they couldn't be released. "They should be here in a few days". Yeah, right. Why couldn't they have communicated this to me instead of making me call? Sadly, I looked EVERYWHERE trying to find the things he wanted at another store, and nobody else had them. Now it's the week after Christmas, they still haven't arrived, and I don't know what to do about my order.

Congrats Exoticar, I think you're worthless. I'll never order from you again.

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well...I agree..finally

Against my wishes..my wife ordered remote control Ferraris from them for Christmas (Something as ScaleCars.com we never really carried)

Part #93668 & 93368 are described as "Features working lights...."

Guess what?..they don't come with lights..they lied

We got alot of their business over the years from unhappy customers...and now I know why...as I see the problems first hand now

18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have a great story to tell about Exoticar and I’m hoping they will go out of business soon or not soon enough. I keep getting Exoticar catalogs, and my wife intercepted the very latest copy that was send to me in late November. My wife needed some Christmas gifts ideas and I wasn’t going to put my foot in my mouth if you’re know want I’m talking about. I pointed out a Ferrari hat that looked real nice and I said “I like this hat”. So without thinking, she placed an order for the hat over the phone when I was at work one day. Just a few days before Christmas, a box came from Exoticar. She gave me my Christmas gift a few days early. I open the box in front of her, and I pull out a Ferrari hat. She got pi$$ed. I asked her “What’s wrong”, she said this is not the hat I order for you. Minutes later, she called Exoticar. The customer service person told her that the hat she ordered was “discontinued item”. Why didn’t they tell her this item was discontinued when she placed the order in the beginning? And this catalog I received was very recent too. The true is some idiot at Exoticar just threw in any hat to keep the sale, even it’s not the right item(s). In the past, I’ve placed a few orders for die-cast 1:18 Ferraris and months went by without any notice from them. I had to call them and found out that my items I was patiently waiting for were all discontinued. Currently, we shipped back the hat to them, and I just know that they will beat around the bush to give us our money back, of course. Now if this happens, I will call the “Better Business” to place a complaint with Exoticar.

To all my Ferrari friends out there: DO yourselves a favor… DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM EXOTICAR, YOU WILL GET SCREWED, BOTTOM LINE!

EXOTICAR, If you see my complaint on this thread and if you’re going to respond to this thread… DON’T… YOU GUYS SUCK. Nothing you will say will change my out look on you! Your days are numbered. GOOD BYE