Have we destroyed the 355? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Have we destroyed the 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Monteman, Oct 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh well. Some people are obviously above the rules.

Anyway, as I said before, it's good to see some owners finally coming out of the woodwork to tell of their positive experiences.

2. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly, well stated. I don' t agree that the 360 is inferior though. Superior in everything except for looks. That is why I wouldn't buy one, maybe for a daily driver if the price was right, but then again I would buy a 996TT over a 360. It is exactly like the 996. Superior car, but I wouldn't trade my 993 Carrera S for one.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Steve,

There is no reason to be defensive. Just step back and read the words instead of infer a conspiracy. Most of Fchat is a public forum. People can and will post anywhere they want.

If you split the 348/355 forum with a separate 355 forum there is less interest for non-owners to go there. Less eyes will see what you post. If there are an equal number of 348 and 355 owners then if the forum was split 50% less people would immediately see 355 stuff and potentially comment if 355 owners would prefer less non-owner comment. By splitting the forum it would take more effort for every 348 guy to even look at what is happening with 355s. If the 355 forum is flooded with 355 guys and 90%+ of the posts are from 355 guys wouldn't that help reveal a true image of the 355? That does not stop others from going to an open 355 public forum but it makes it less convenient for them to do so. Take that level of inconvenience one step further. Look at the "355 owners unite" thread in the Owners forum. With the added restriction of being the owners forum I don't think a single "non-355 owner" contributed to that thread.

If our forums could get back to helping each other instead of inflaming "us against them", everyone would benefit.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'll take that as as directed at me Steve. :)
    BTW I still haven't seen your "setting the record straight" on the main discussion forum.

We are on the 360/430 forum. If you look on the upper left corner.. yup there it is. I've paid my membership like everyone else on this site. And as far as inferior. Yeah less weight, more horsepower, more room, more contemporary styling... yeah contrary to common sense in every way somehow the 355 is superior (rolls eyes)... esp. my euro that doesn't have emissions crap and sport seats.

I come to this forum because I'm going to have a 348 in the future. If you split it.. you won't have to read my postings anymore. FYI, I want a 348 because it's not a 355...

You know this reminds me of a time back in high school... There was a girl we'll call "Emily". She had a reputation of getting around and having sex with lots and lots of guys in the class. Of course, she wouldn't give me the time of day.. but I digress. I once asked her best friend "Jen", has Emily really had sex with that many guys? "ABSOLUTELY NOT! SHE'S A REALLY GOOD GIRL!" And I believed it... until after college I started talking to various guys when we'd get together. They didn't say it at the time.. but of a class of 107 students, half guys.. I personally spoke with 15 guys that told me they had a "date" with her back in the day. They could all be lying... or a reputation is a reputation because it reflects reality.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #631 vrsurgeon, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Actually pretty common.
    It's acknowledged as a finicky F1 system. You need an SD2 to diagnose it. We warn those who get them to be ready for such an issue. In this case I would' be surprised if the clutch position sensor is toast or one of the other sensors in the system is shorted/in error. Other common issues include roll over valves and fuel pumps cracking, ball joints wearing, etc. I'm not going to pretend the car is without issues. It potentially has them, including Variator failure relatively rarely. I'm not going to get all defensive about it though.. I acknowledge it.

7. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    You remember when you were a kid and you came home and told your mom that someone made fun of you at school that day. You mom most likely said, other kids make fun of you because they are jealous of you and deep down want to be like you or to be friends with you.
    Well it's obviously a trait that is carried on into adult life by these non-owners, 348 owners and 360 owners. The three five five is the beauty queen that all others aspire to be like. Sad but true.

8. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Damn!!!!! Best suggestion/post of your fchat career. Keep up the good work!

9. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I knew "Emily" was lying when she told me I was her first...

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's some great stuff there FBB. Except for the fact that you violate your own statements...

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Beating a dead horse is one thing, but this is straight up trolling. Good job moderators.

12. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Despite my newbie status, this ain't my first rodeo, and the 355 won't be my first Ferrari when I get it. As I work my way into 2014 on this thread, I'm still trying to learn who the real knowledgeable people are. But I have a point I want to interject that I have not seen addressed (yet). These are individual cars, and some were born to be good, while others were born to be bad.

By definition, some have to be "Monday/Friday" cars. I just sold/gave away my '07.5 BMW. It was the best car I ever owned with zero problems, but a bad rep drove the price down. My next door neighbor has an '08 that had the misfortune to be born Jan. 1, 2008. The first, of many times it had to be flat bedded, the exhaust system literally fell off the car. If this can happen in a modern, highly automated factory, imagine what can happen in Modena when Luigi just found out that his wife has been 'straying'.

Before I go 'Back to the Past' to follow this thread, I'd like to ask a question. Is there a thread somewhere that discusses the + & - of the '95 vs. the later cars?

Thanks to all for the info I'm getting on these cars.
    Richard

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Richard, there are many threads that cover that. I'm not going to start a flame war of + & -, but I'll post some differences - it's up to you to determine what you feel is better.

-95's don't have alarm systems or imobilizers (no FOB's, no PIN numbers, etc) If you lock the car, you need to enter with the key. (96-99 have do have alarms and immobilizers)

-95's have a different intake system and ECU (2.7 vs 5.2) - some claim this makes a few HP more - although that's been debated.

-95's don't have cut outs in the rear bumper (black stripe).

-95's (not 100% sure about this but I don't think 95's have a glove box between the 2 seats on the rear shelf)

-98-99 cars can be had with the F1 system.

14. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

This whole discussion is getting childish. What 355 owners do not realize is that non 355 owners are non owners because we have chosen not to be owners, and it has nothing to do with being jealous , you love your 355 and you are entitled to, but please don't assume non 355 owners are jealous , its that attitude that prompts the kind of comments you find unpleasing

" serenity now "

15. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC

I'm no expert for sure and currently the only F-car I'm interested in is the F355. However, from what I've gathered the 355 and the 348 are mechanically similar in many respects.

That said, I think there are many technical posts on the 348 that would be beneficial/applicable to 355's and vice versa. Same goes for the people who frequent the forums.

I think splitting them just to limit the "my car is better than yours" thing would be a net loss to the community as a whole.

Besides that kind of talk is just part of the automotive hobby.

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Childish? Isn't that what you were banned for?

17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So much BS.

#1, The computer system for the 355 is the Gen 1 SD1. The 360 needs the SD2 and the 430 on up need a SD3. Each generation will support the previous models. So wrong out of the box.

#2, Pretty common to spend $20,000? Stop it. That's just stupid. The ONLY way to get a $20k surprise is to let belts die and break at speed. To say it is "common" is just stupid.

#3. The F1 system isn't finicky. It needs to be properly cared for. If you are a hack or an owner that doesn't want to attend to details, then yea, the F1 system aint for you. You want a dual clutch automatic so buy a 360.

I for one will get defensive here...only because what you post is not correct.

The 355 aint for pansies but it isn't a $20,000 repair bill waiting to happen either.

"pretty common" Just stop it.

18. Turbo Ron

Turbo Ron Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    West Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron Stavis
    Watson. Wrong information. A 360 does not have a dual clutch, nor does a 430. A 458 does.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    *sigh*

1) You need an SD2 (or SD3) to set the PIS on 360's, know the clutch reading, or what the system thinks is wrong and why you can't get it into gear. An SD1 won't work. How was what I wrote wrong? Besides excluding an SD3 in my comment.. as well as a Leonardo? It was in response to the thread referenced... which is about a 360 F1 issue.

2) The 360 F1 system is finicky (again the referenced thread in the post). Go on the 360 section. There's 3 (three) threads on there as I write this. Two about a cars that won't go into gear. Finicky... yes. There's a thread every other month about an F1 light, with or without gear engagement issues.

3) I never said common to spend $20,000. I wrote "pretty common" in relation to the thread referenced. Which relates to an F1 error with a flashing F1 light and a beep.

A little more reading comprehension please. Or perhaps I should have made the thread reply bigger?

20. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

No , i was banned for putting some jerk in his place when he said the 348 had looks that would make a train take a dirt road. So you see 355 owners beat up on 348 owners also, its not just 348 owners beating up on the 355 guys. Btw , it was worth every day of being banned.

" serenity now "

21. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    I wrote that as a joke after getting jumped on by a bunch of 348 owners that suggested I get a sense of humor after I objected to a 348 owner making yet another disparaging comment about 355's. So, I would suggest you too get a sense of humor lol...

22. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    And, being called a jerk by you is high praise indeed!

23. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #648 driveitdaily, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Sorry, i think alot of animosity is created here because , as human beings we communicate not only with words and speech, but also with body language and tone of voice, things impossible to interpret just by reading words, and our minds at times can inject attitude when no attitude was meant. Peace:) you can call me a jerk anytime , i'm thick skinned and take no offense.

" serenity now "

24. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Because they bought the cheaper option :p

25. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

I'm not sure 360 owners should be rubbishing on anyone, i guess us 348/355guys like our cars because we like the traditional lines. I have 360 in our shop now for work , and i've stared at it from every angle, and i'm really trying to feel it , but it just isn't growing on me. And i dont mean anything disparaging if there are 360 guys here. Its like the new corvette , i refuse to let my eyes look at that and tell my brain, nice car. Like they say , to each his own.

" serenity now "