Having problems with my AC vents in my 348...need help! | FerrariChat

Having problems with my AC vents in my 348...need help!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fmuto42, Mar 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Like everyone my vents were sticky and the right side was literally falling apart. I purchased a set of 355 vents and got the L&R refinished and sent my center vent along with the others. I cleaned them very well and went to reassemble and could not make it happen. For whatever reason I could not get the vent elbow to go into the tube behind the dash and followed with the vent never snapping in place.

I don't wanna muscle it too much for what I spent on the vents and to be done.

Can anyone offer some advice??

Thanks guys hopefully someone can bail me out here.

2. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I presume it's the same vent, so technically it should fit? If so, my only thought is if you're doing all this in a cold garage maybe the plastic is too stiff to snap in (I live in SE PA too, it's been pretty nippy past few days). Maybe try gently warming the snap-in tabs with a hair dryer?

3. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Are you sure the rubber "gasket" where the vent-tube side meets the inside-the-dash part didn't pop off and come crooked while trying to install?

4. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The vents are room temperature and the gasket is in place where it should be. I'm having real tough time getting it to line up then go for the kill with the snaps of the tabs.

5. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Anyone on this?

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Had the same problem with mine and wound up leaving them just a tad askew since I was in a huge hurry. Intending to go back and make them perfect soon but I was hoping that you would get some great pointers here that I could use.

Do you have the corner trim pieces of the dash out? That makes things much easier.

7. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Mike did you get yours back in or no? What are the corner trim piece of the dash it seems all one piece. I think the center will go back fine but I was pressed for time but the left and right side with the knuckle did not want to go back in at all. I did notice on the originals a couple tabs were broken and more pliable. I might need to sand and bend alittle to have it more give. My fear is pushing to hard and cracking something that is visible.

8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi guys,

I psted the same thing in a removal thread. Should have put it here to begin with!

I'm trying to reinstall both my side vents (left and right) on my 348 and cant seem to get the upper outside corner in properly. Anyone have any suggestions?

The other three corners on both the left and ride side vents are in place ok.

See pic below. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You will need to access the brackets (circled on the attached diagram) holding the air tubes to the vents. I think they are accessible when you remove the instrument cluster and the glove box. Remove the bolts to free the brackets and push in the vents. The brackets will then probably be misaligned or away from their fixing holes in the bulkhead. If away, you can just insert spacers and use longer bolts. If misaligned, I don't think you can bend them as they are, if I remember well, made of carbon steel. You can also leave the brackets free as I don't think they are really necessary.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thats much more of a pain than I was hoping for!

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Does anyone have an alternative method that may be easier?!

12. jfor348

jfor348 Rookie

Apr 14, 2016
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    John Foreman
    I did all three vents in my 92 TB a few years ago. Kind of forget the process but I remember it being a nightmare until I started to get more comfortable and confident with how they were attached. Just a word of warning for anyone attempting this: the tabs that stick out to grip it into place are extremely weak,brittle and break easily. I was so bloody delicate trying to pull the vents and a couple broke easily. Then you have to start the whole process of re-attaching with a backing etc,etc.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had that issue. I used a thin layer of grease on the rubber grommet. I found you install the corner vent at an angle pointing the air tube toward the center of the car then rotate down and push and they slipped right in. Before that I has the same issue as you. Its technique with a little grease. 75% of my corner vent brackets were broken already from previous owners de stickying them so they just sit there so getting the down tube to seat properly really helps keep them in place.

Actually the owner before me actually trimmed the corner vent downtubes significantly presumably because he could not get the down tube into the cross tube. I had to buy new corner vent down tube sections for the corner vents and swap them out. People.....