F8 - having reservations about an F8 I just agreed to buy.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 having reservations about an F8 I just agreed to buy....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 05F430F1, Feb 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Just keep in mind there is no real perfection- at least with anything made by human hands.

My take is it's a shame they had to add these extra filters- I think the exhaust now makes less particulate matter than do the tires as you roll down the road (!), but, its now part of what makes the car and you do have some options if you want them. I think there will always be some aspect of a car you wish were more in line with your own personal preferences.

However, if you find the exhaust note is really not quite to your taste,then just remember that every manufacturer has to manage several parameters when designing a car, drivability, emissions, fuel economy, so on and so forth. Some of those things might not be quite as high up on your list and so long as the car is still legal, there are various tweaks you can pursue.

05F430F1 likes this.
  2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I disagree, the sound is a huge part of the experience and always has been - it gives cars their character

the sound of a loud v12 at high revs vs a diesel engine or an EV

3. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I was in this situation a couple of years ago. Coming from a 458 I had for about 5 years and test-drove the F8. Incredible looking car, probably the best V8 rear from Ferrari. But, it did not tickle my emotions. My dealer sales manager told me, if I was not convinced on the F8 as it did not satisfy my aural senses, the only car that would satisfy that would be a 812SF...this is what I ended up with. Thats me. Believe me, I wanted to love the F8, but my dealer will not allow any modifications. To bad. The F8 is an engineering marvel and I just could not get past that one thing I needed.

4. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    458 owner again…

The 458 is sound perfection. You can stay in a gear until 9k rpm and the sound is perfection. However, I am not going to drive this car for the rest of my life. Eventually it will move on so someone can enjoy this and I will try something else.

ACSATCO and Cigarzman like this.
  5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You mean for you, personally, it’s a huge part? For argument sake are you telling me someone that is hearing impaired can’t truly experience a Ferrari since they can’t hear the exhaust? On a track, with a helmet on, you barely can hear the exhaust and the true experience is how the car performs. Some people have the opposite opinion as you and the exhaust sound is a minor element of the driving experience.

mdrums and Viperjoe like this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Sound is a HUGE part of the driving experience. Sound is a huge part of everything in our lives. More for some than others. For me it does mean a lot. Stock F8 like so many others agree with is really horrible. Problem is with electronic control exhaust valves and GPF on top of the Cats the F8 is extremely muted. Changing any of the electronic control exhaust valves and removing the GPF requires a ECU tune/modifaction and out goes the cars power train and electronics warranty.

You should go drive one or at least sit in one while it is idling and rev it. only you can make the choice if the exhaust on the F8 is ok with you.

VAF84 likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Bad example because I’m definitely asking her out :)

Great sound in a weekend car is definitely important to me and I wouldn’t buy such a car if I thought the sound was anemic or worse.

I used to think I was OK with a daily driver with meh sound, but have one of those Jeep Wrangler with the hemi V8 on order, so maybe I’m maturing.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    It's like only asking out a girl because she has big breasts

Buying a car, or not buying a car, because of the noise it makes is simply the wrong metric to use when making a purchasing decision.
    [/QUOTE]

If this is wrong, I need to cancel my plans for this evening.

Shark01, Thecadster and SeattleStew like this.
  9. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #59 05F430F1, Feb 20, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    I wasn't asking this at all actually- was just wondering opinions about the sound compared to what I'm used to with previous Ferraris as I'd optimally like all 5 senses stimulated for such a big purchase for me. Just was expressing reservations is all- NOT that sound alone would make me buy or stop me from buying. But again, thanks all for the good info and perspectives.

I'm buying it and it should be here this week! Too EXCITED!

10. JuniorGTR

JuniorGTR Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Jr
    The sound was a massive buying point for me prior to the turbo cars. I've loved the soundtracks from the modern NA v8s I've owned. Scuderia being my favorite.

The sound isn't all there on the f8 and 488s but you can easily fix that. The cars are FAST now and ya kinda forget the sound. The overall driving experience is elevated in these turbo cars, they are just overall better. The sound they make with an exhaust is pretty damn good though, and unlike the past they pick up a ton of power from it.

The pista was a great balance between past and present for me, and ultimately why I purchsed it. I test drove a F8 Spider with exhaust and was not disappointed, but at the price points the Pista made more sense to personally.

You'll love the car regardless, especially as a F430 guy. It's way better!

05F430F1 and VAF84 like this.
  11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    buy the f8 ferrari knocked it out of the park last of its breed.

05F430F1 and JosephRasha like this.
  12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I have to chuckle at some of the responses. Spend a few hundred grand for a performance sports car, and describe its sound with an anemic "it's fine". If I spent $400k on a sports car, I'd hope to describe it as better than "fine". Otherwise it opens up a lot of cars with similar performance capabilities. Luckily, there is the aftermarket world, but it's just a headache to find ways and try and get it passed emissions testing.

Not denying that different people have different preferences, but for many in the community performance vehicle world sound is paramount. Probably not exactly analogous, but I drove a tesla once it was the most unsatisfying rapid acceleration. It was like watching an action movie on mute. I'd definitely want to ensure the sound matches the driving experience. Manufacturers are getting better at this on the hybrid side, but I think turbo cars may be lagging behind.

OP, I suggest trying to find someone local to give you a ride along. That's the best way to answer the question. I have no doubt there's someone out there is willing to.

13. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Buy a 458

Eilig likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Actually I would not. The wail of the high-revving NA V12 is so completely central to the 812 experience that I would not have purchased it otherwise. For me, the exhaust note tricks me into thinking I am going faster than I am. All these cars go 0 to jail in about 3.2 seconds, so the exhaust note helps mitigate the need for extreme speeds.

VAF84, JTSE30, willcrook and 5 others like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Congrats on the 392. You are going to love it. Might be my favorite car.

VAF84 and Shark01 like this.
  16. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    A Ferrari purchase is driven largely by emotion. If your emotion for F8 is not there, don't buy it.

VAF84, mdrums, JTSE30 and 2 others like this.
  17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    if its not a speciale imo going backwards

18. This basically sums it.

We can close the thread now.

mdrums and VAF84 like this.
  19. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Ferrari purchases are ENTIRELY driven by emotion.

There does not exist any rational basis, purpose, or reason for buying a Ferrari.

That’s why we own them.

If you want rational then buy a Honda, take a bus, or walk.

20. Kaylie

Kaylie Rookie

Jan 25, 2023
    Amen to that brother...

21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    for me it’s a big deal and I can list a few other instances from others where it’s been the deciding factor:

two people I know bought used FF’s after I showed them a video of one with an aftermarket exhaust

someone I know bought an LFA for £900k based on the sound

others I’ve known have bought poor handling muscle cars just based on the character and sound

VAF84, JTSE30 and Thecadster like this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And a lot of $$$$

So I must remain Ferrari-less……guess that means I’m being saved for my next girlfriend

OP, enjoy your new car.

05F430F1 likes this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    As I posted earlier...for me sound is a good part of the driving experience. However my 488 is stock, just plugged the exhaust valves and the car always sound pretty good. It could sound better to me but...not messing with exhaust, tunes and throwing a warranty away. All my personal feelings and preferences.

However this is all personal and is like someone saying Ferrari's should not be gray color...all should be red. LOL

LVP488 and MANDALAY like this.
  24. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You do know red is faster. :cool:

mdrums likes this.
  25. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    rosso scuderia is ha ha