HDTV: Sony LCD vs. DLP (not this again!) | FerrariChat

HDTV: Sony LCD vs. DLP (not this again!)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matterhorn762, Jan 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've searched the archives, but I'm looking for some more specific feedback. I know this is a subject sometimes beat to death.

I'm looking at upgrading my TV, and I've narrowed my options down to two:

1. Sony Wega 60" LCD (60XS955)
    2. Similar sized DLP/D-ILA screens such as:
    62" DLP Toshiba, 62" Mitsubishi, 61" D-ILA JVC, 60" DLP Panasonic

I haven't seen any of the 60"+ DLP in person yet, only up to 55". I have seen the 60" Sony, and it is impressive, but the nearby DLPs all looked like they had better contrast, and crisper images. Most reviews I read though don't necessarily give the edge to DLP, although it looked obviously better in my eyes. Before I go back to look at them more thoroughly, can anybody offer any advice on his experiences?

If anybody can direct me to some online consumer reports that are actually useful in relation to the above TVs, that would also be good.

2. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ive got the 62" Mitsu DLP. two words. F***ing Awesome. Movies, sports events, and playstation are ridiculous on it. One problem, it takes a little to warm up and you have to get a new light cartridge when the one you have is shot. Minor inconvience in my eyes. i looked into LCD but decided against it because i just didnt feel the same thing as to when i saw the DLP. In fact the other say they had a show on one of the High def channels about Monterey and i saw the Ferrarichat.com 355 for a split second. O and the picture was gorgeous, i could count the blades of grass. I cant wait to watch the Super Bowl on it.

3. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Have you checked the AVS Forum?

www.avsforum.com

The definitive audio/video forum.

4. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    After seeing 62" of HDTV glory on a Samsung DLP, you simply cannot ever watch regular TV again. I'd almost say HDTV is to Normal TV as black and white is to color.

5. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    DLP does seem to give better contrast vs. LCD. Brighter picture, too. The only downside is a slightly smaller viewing angle. Out of all the ones I've seen, I like the Samsung DLP the best.

6. sirsomo

sirsomo Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta/Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I had this same delimna about 6 months ago. I picked the Sony LCD (42") over the DLP. Sony was just a better package IMO. I dont think you can go wrong with either one. The only downside to LCD that I notice is that it has a bit of trouble replicating black, its more of a dark grey.

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    They both suck, do not get a rear projection. The viewing angle* is so small that you can't see the edges of the damn picture even head-on.

*If you don't know what I am talking about, then it is likely you won't care, and in that you are truely blessed! :) Enjoy the DLP in that case!!!

8. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Depends how your seating is set up. I find it hard to be outside of the viewing angle unless your off in some strange corner of the room.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Are we making a distinction between LCD and plasma flat panels?

--Dan

10. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Also there is LCD and LCD projection (mainly for the 42+ inch tvs)

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Right.

BTW, noticed you live on Bainbridge Island - off of Seattle? How large is the community? A friend of mine is from there. Annie Melson if that's at all familiar.

--Dan

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm involved with the HDTV question as well, since looking at some Samsung DLP's the week after Christmas. DLP picture clarity is excellent, but not quite as good as LCD or plasma in the sense that there is a bit of edge and corner grayness, but that was when viewed at a distance and angle much greater than what our "home theater" setup would have.

The price of DLP is considerably less than LCD or plasma of comparable size and features.

However, I was just on the phone with a friend and he told me that when the single lamp projection cartridge for DLP burns out, it costs $500+ to replace, and they burn out every 1.5 to 2 years.

Is this true?

Comments much appreciated.

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That's correct. DLP lamps have a life of about 2000 hours IIRC, and they will run you a pretty penny no question. $500 may be a bit high, but in the ball-park.

--Dan

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dan, thanks.

One question: what does IIRC stand for?

Tomorrow, I'm going out to evaluate HDTV's with the friend I was talking to about DLP's. Anything informative and of general thread subject interest, I will post.

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

Am I the only one who prefers CRTs to LCD monitors and plasma tvs?

--Dan

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I'm talking about the rear-projection typical 'BIG SCREEN TV' in a large box with frenzell lenses. Even when I'm sitting direct dead-center, I can still see the brightness drop off at the corners. And if I move to the right so much as 6" everything goes to hell in my opinion on most 'sets'. I'm a picky SOB about this stuff though.

For flatscreens, LCD is by FAR the supior technology, though they are only at 45" right now. Give it a year.

17. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    I think we're up to around 28,000 and growing.

Don't recongnize the name, but i'm a youngin so chances are i wouldn't.

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Dan, according to Consumer Reports, the CRT's still have a better picture than the LCD's and plasmas, particularly the Sony WEGA CRT's.

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    i have the sony grand wega 60" dlp, was thrilled at first, not so much anymore. dlp (doesn't look-like plasma)

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am now in the market for a big screen as well. Which one did you end up buying? Are you happy with it? Any regrets?

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have a 42 inch and a 50 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma and have been well pleased. They are both hooked up to DirecTV HD TIVO receivers with Bose Lifestyle surround sound systems.

22. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    DLP is the way to go, lasts much longer and IMO a better picture.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  24. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    and settled on a LG 50" plasma. Just jaw-dropping images, especially underwater and outer space (views of Earth) programming. I really liked the Sony 60" XBR for about the same money but decided that I needed the thinner profile. Some LGs have built-in 160 gig HD recorders. Crazy low prices on eBay.

KevFla

25. PowerDNA

PowerDNA Karting

Sep 5, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    DLP is the best way to go IMO. I have a DLP projector and have fantastic HD quality. Look for the TI Mustang 2 Chipset present on some of the new projectors.