Head gasket-4 liter Mistral engine | FerrariChat

Head gasket-4 liter Mistral engine

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by emsiegel13, Nov 19, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I know that there has been discussion about whether to use a MKS head gasket or the fire rings and "o" ring for sealing the head to the block on the six cylinder engine. I'd appreciate any input, pro or con, about each option as I am having my Mistral 4 liter engine rebuilt and I only want to do it once.

2. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I am a strong believer in the fire rings and o ring for sealing the six cylinder engines. I takes a lot more effort to install them correctly but IMHOP the are the best way. Too many different materials and parts to use the one piece gasket.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Elliot, ^^^ this is someone you should be listening too on this subject. Eugene had a very long career is a mechanical engineer/manager keeping manufacturing plants running well in the SF Bay Area.
    Maseratis, other makes as well became a hobby of his and he's restored many cars quite successfully. He knows the inline 6 cylinder Maserati engine quite well.

Just my 2 cents. I know zip about them.

4. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Those were my thoughts after discussing this with a few knowable people so I have instructed my engine rebuilder to follow the factory method of sealing the cylinder head to the block.

5. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I rebuilt a couple 4 L Maserati inline 6 engines in the late 80s and used the fire rings with no trouble for many years. They were designed that way. The fire rings looked much more robust and should keep the water isolated from the cylinders better than a crimped gasket. the water jacket outer perimeter seal is so think that it will seal perfectly when compressed by the head. Obviously, the liners must be perfectly true across the tops and the head must be flat and new rings must be used so that they can be crushed when the head is torqued. Kyle Flemming in Virginia loaned me torque plates that I used for boring and honing.