News

***HEEL AND TOE DOWNSHIFT***

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jenzo, Dec 15, 2003.

1. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
    How many of you lot out there use the fundamental heel and toe downshift technique in your Ferraris. I have used it on track days in my 360 and found it very helpful when done correctly, but I find harder to apply this method of 'downshifting' on the roads. Do you think this method is required for general road driving. Does it make you enjoy the driving experience and control that you have of your vehicle????

2. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thank god for F1 Boxes.

I still find it very difficult to do properly.

I've tried many times in my race car and still havn't mastered it.
    I'ts definately helps on the track. Stops the back of the car twitching around when braking hard.
    Specially useful if you have to change while trail braking late into a corner.

Not sure how useful it is on the road.
    Not sure you should be pushing that hard on the road to make it nessissary.
    Maybe in older cars.
    It certainly makes life abit easier for engines and clutch wear.

Wazza

3. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    I am still getting the hang of it after 2 years!! - I try to do it as much as possible as to save the stress on the clutch & gearbox. When it works, it really works well - when it goes wrong you feel like an idiot!

I tend to find that it is easier if you are pushing the car hard rather that poodleing around - not sure why?

I have also found it a bit easier with the wider gas pedal (Available form your friendly F-Chat sponsor www.hill-engineering.co.uk) - Shameless plug I know :)
    The other thing that I have done is adjust the amount of free play in the throttle cable so that you don’t have to twist your foot round as much - that makes a difference as well.

Paul

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan Witherspoon
    I heel-toe when I drive on the street as well, but only in a situation when I need to. Usually not too often...I only use it around a few corners in my city.

So far on the race track I have only driven an automatic car but when I finally get my own car out to the track Ill surely use it!

5. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm told by experts, Don't try useing your heel at all.

Just use the ball of your foot and big toe for the brake and the outside of the foot and little toe to blip the throttle.

well that should be OK then !!!!!!!!?????

Wazza

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan Witherspoon
    I think the technique is individual to whatever car you drive. The way my pedals are set up I have to use my heel on the brake, rotate my foot parallel to the ground, and use my big toe for the gas. Some Ferraris Ive seen have pedals that are really close together and you could get away with breaking with one side of your foot and blipping the throttle with your other (while your foot is pointed vertically).

So, just figure out how to do it on your car. Whatever works, works! The name heel toe doesnt necessarily apply to how its used in all cars. As long as you make the downshift and blip the throttle to the right rpm and dont feel a jerk as you let the clutch out, it was a successful "heel-toe" regardless of how your feet were arranged.

7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Paul, I totally agree with you on all that. I've been trying for some months now and I reckon it is still very tricky. But it's a delight when it works well! I feel like the race driver I always wanted to be :D

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I brake with the inside of my foot, and blip the throttle with the outside. I heel & toe on the road because I enjoy trying to get it right!

Not sure it is much use on the road except that it limits wear on the transmission, but only if you get it exactly right.