heel toe downshifting | FerrariChat

heel toe downshifting

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bostonmini, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    any board members heel toe on the street? i learned how to do it and cant stop!!! every corner!!! hehe.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Of course...always. Practice makes perfect.

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I always heel and toe on the street. Now I am working on my technique for double clutch heel and toe downshifts. Makes the daily commute a lot more entertaining.

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    its a great method

5. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Okay, in the spirit of being stupid for 5 minutes rather than ignorant for the rest of my life...and since I don't track my car...how do you heal and toe?

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Brake and blip the throttal with your right foot and clutch with your left.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I can't do it daily. 1st off I'm not that good at it and 2nd my pedals are too far apart. I do it on my 924, I'm just careful with it.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I know a guy who turns his foot around and hits the gas pedal with his toes and uses his heal for the brake!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Brake with the ball (I think that is what it is called, anyway not you heal but the other part that holds on to your toes :)) of your foot and WHILE braking, twist your foot so that your heal can reach the accelerator and then blip the throttle while changing down a gear with your heal. It really is quite easy ... :), and fun AND important on the track IMO!

Bit of a poser/ricer thing to do on the road, but I am guilty too ... and it is fun and keeps me awake sometimes :)

Pete

10. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    So I am slightly rolling my right foot to blip and match revs while maintaining braking...

I take my foot off the brake and do it quickly since the pedal is just a bit to far away...or I need bigger feet...

11. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    i cant use my heel, it doesnt work well for me, instead, if you have nicely spaced (close) pedals, you can use the ball of your foot on the brake, and the out edge on the gas, you dont have to have the foot at a 45 deg. angle. Maybe only works on some cars? I have seen some gorgeous pedals that actually extend the accelerator pedal to under the brake, looks awesome.

12. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Also check the archives of the old board - there was a big discussion about technique and whether it was best saved for the track etc.

13. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It really doesn't have anything to do with the heel of your foot at all. It is the proper way to downshift, and I feel should be used all of the time.

Here is a bit from Ross Bentley's 'Speed Secrets'

"Here is a step by step explantation of how to heel and toe: 1. Begin braking, using the ball of your right foot on the brake pedal while keeping a small portion of the right side of your foot covering the gas pedal__but not pushing it yet. 2. Depress the clutch pedal with your left foot, while maintaining braking. 3. Move the shift lever into the next-lower gear, while maintaining braking. 4. While continuing braking and with the clutch pedal depressed, pivot or roll your right foot at the ankle, quickly pushing or 'blipping' the throttle(revving the engine). 5. Quickly ease out the clutch, while maintaining braking. 6. Place your left foot back on the dead pedal, while continuing braking, now in the lower gear."

The book goes into much greater detail of the importance of being smooth/consistent brake pressure/and matching the speed of the engine with the speed of the gear you are selecting.

Highly reccomended reading.

The right footwear sure helps too. I slip on my Piloti's almost everytime I drive the Esprit.

Hope this helps,

Craig
    90SE

14. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Thats what I have to do on my car. It all depends on how your pedals are set up. There is no right or wrong way to work your feet, just a right effect if its done correctly :)

I heel toe whenever I need to...going into a turn in a lower gear and so on. When I slow down for a stop sign or light though, no need to do it.

I had a fun shift today. I have a favorite freeway off ramp that makes a really tigh 180 degree turn. If nobody is in front or behind me I always do a bit of late braking, a nice heel toe shift into second, and take a little apex (its one big wide lane so you can do it safely). Even in my car I love the sound of a good downshift...puts a smile on your face :)

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Of course you're right, I wasn't saying it was wrong just odd looking. I tried it in my car the next day and almost spun off the road! Perhaps I should modify my pedals so I can practice everyday in my POS.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Depends on the car. I tend to use h&t in the Ferrari, but the turbo lag on the EVO makes it more trouble than its worth for daily use in an AWD.

You could dislocate an ankle trying to h&t the Alfa spider. Maybe I'll do something about that when I get around to giving it a restoration.

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hehe, for some reason the other way seems awkward to me! I have no problem spinning my foot around but if I have to tilt it to either side, thats when I get stuck :)

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    not really. the best way to practice would be driving either slow, or just at the speed limit. say you are going down the freeway at 50mph, or even 60mph, just try blipping through the gears. go back and forth. I'd say after about 2-3 months it will be natural. after 6 months, you'll be smooth as butter.

I didn't realize how often I did it until a buddy of mine commented on it. he couldn't believe how smooth I was, and how he didn't jerk back and forth in the seat in spirited driving mode. you can be smooth, all it takes is time and practice.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Thanks for the tip but the POS I was refering to was my '03 Grand am and the pedals are soo far apart. I have size 13 shoes and I can barely touch both pedals with each side of my foot. On the other hand my little 924 has the pedals soo close together I have to wear racing shoes or very tight sneakers. I'll take a pic in the spring, they're so damn close!