Help!! I need to learn poker before Saturday! | FerrariChat

Help!! I need to learn poker before Saturday!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by sherpa23, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I was invited to a Saturday night poker game. I have never played before although I have played plenty of cards. Does anyone have any good web resources to help me get started?

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

You can learn to play fairly quickly
    http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/poker/poker.html

It takes years to learn to "play".

I hope these folks are your friends and the stakes are not high.

Go to have fun and enjoy the camaraderie. If you go intending to win as a novice, you will be either very unhappy or VERY lucky.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No matter what your hand: don't drink heavily - keep a straight face - don't tap on the table only if you've got a killer hand, etc.. - know when to fold - bump up the pot carefully so as not to alert too many competitors - after all, you want as much total on a winning hand - if someone's still left in a hand, getting cocky with their chips and you're holding pure gold - go for the kill - take a few medium-body cigars.

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    remember these two things, "liquor in the front, poker in the rear!"

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks! It is a friendly game so we'll see how it goes but I definitely don't want to lose. At the very least I would like to have a good time and not lose quickly or easily. I suppose that I can always be conservative.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If you've never played before, expect to loose some money. Just think of it as entertainment. You can learn quickly by doing play money games at www.pokerroom.com or any of the others. I like No Limit Texas Hold Em, but you can learn the most by playing 5 card draw, that will probably be most similar to the hands you'll play. Not to scare you, but you may end up playing 20-30 different versions of Poker in a friendly game as each dealer each hand will pick the game. Although you might get lucky for your first time and just play the same game all night.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If you are a fun person to be around and your poker buddies are easy going, don't sweat the game, just know what beats what in a poker hand. Your buddies will tell you how each game is played (there are a lot)! Just make sure you are the last to deal a hand in the circle so you can remember at least one game to call when it's your turn to deal! Bring your wallet, a designated driver and have a blast!