Help Identify Ferrari/308/xxx Tubi Style Headers? | FerrariChat

Help Identify Ferrari/308/xxx Tubi Style Headers?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sdd5317, May 14, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdd5317

sdd5317 Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Scott Douthit
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That’s not for 308, it’s for a longitudinal mount engine not for transverse mount engine.

absostone and sdd5317 like this.
  3. sdd5317

sdd5317 Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Scott Douthit
    Thank you! Do you know what model it would be for?

4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry I don’t, but I’m sure someone here will know.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Plus, and please remember...
    If these were for a 3x8 (and these are not, these are for a longitidunal V8, I would say 348??) they couldn't be for a US version (with cats) as these are "wrapped" with a kind of "doughnut" isolating material, and headers for "euro" 3x8s ("extractor manifolds" in british parliance...) are of OVAL section for four valve engines (308QVs and 328s). They have round section, so would be for a two-valve engine, but these are not 3x8s, as the exiting pipe would have been different.
    So: definitively not "3x8", whatever the market...
    Rgds

miketuason likes this.
  6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could it be for the 288 GTO?

7. sdd5317

sdd5317 Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Scott Douthit
    I have some parts with this for the “512 BBLM” could it be for that?

8. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    512BBLM is a 12 cylinder using individual tubes for each cylidner, and Tubi does not make exhaust for that model.

The slip fit with tabs secured by a locking bolt is more along the lines with a challenge car in my experience. I don't know if Tubi makes exhaust for any of the challenge cars, but I would look at 348 355 and 360 models.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would suggest contacting Tubi or their authorized distributor for North America for assistance.

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think these are for a 4 valve engine. The tubes are round, but the flanges seem to be oblong. If they are for Ferrari they would have to be for a 4 valve engine. They aren't 3X8 and the 308 is the only 2-valve V8 they made (with any sort of volume that Tubi would make a system for).

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #11 nerofer, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    I absolutely agree. I have been trying to solve that interesting riddle, but without much success so far...
    What we know for sure is:
    - that they are definitively NOT 3x8 exhausts, as they are not for a transverse engine (and furthermore, they could only have been for a 2-valve engine, as their tubes are round, and they are not of the transverse engine type, the bends do not correspond). So 3x8 it is not.
    - they are very probably for a V8 and not for a V12; the tubes outlets are grouped two by two, and the Ferrari "V12 / "flat 12" exhaust outlets are grouped three by three.

I thought these were 348 headers, but the 348 exhaust tubes really seems to be oval: see enclosed picture hereunder.
    They could be 355, 360 or 430, as the tubes for these exhausts are round, but identification is further complicated by the fact that, starting with the 348, the OEM exhausts, and the alternate part from Tubi, are not of the "extractor" type anymore, for which you can see the individual tubes; the manifolds are "wrapped like doughnuts" by insulating material, as the engines are all catalysed. Usually advertising pictures present the whole exhaust, wrapped in the insulating material, not without it, which makes identification much more difficult.

Some aftermarket parts are without insulating material, but they might differ slightly in shape, bends and routing of the tubes from the corresponding "Tubi": see here on this link 355 sport headers from Fabspeed (no commercial interest in the brand, just used as examples)
    http://momentumworx.com/fabspeed-f355-sport-headers/

And here a 430 complete exhaust from Tubi:
    http://tubistyle.bestexhaust.com.au/mobile/ferrari-41/f430-scuderia-525/ferrari-f430-inconel-exhaust-manifold-set-13082.html?lang=EN

As far as I can see on the factory parts catalogue, the 288 GTO exhaust tubes at the exhaust ports are oval (sorry, no 288 GTO in my garage to check...)

As said by "f355spider" above, the best bet would probably asking Tubi or their authorised distributor...

Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. sdd5317

sdd5317 Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Scott Douthit
    I know we haven’t really come up with much but I really appreciate you guy’s help thus far. When I got them all it had on it was a piece of painter’s tape with “Ferrari” written in sharpie. I bought several items at the estate sale and everything that was labeled like that was correct. So I am hoping this follows suit. The clutch for the BBLM 512 was marked as so and after looking further into that, it was correct. Same with the 308 Air Filter and Gaskets. But it is odd that this only said “Ferrari” and did not specify a model.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Just as an illustration, to definitively exclude the transverse V8s (= 3x8s):
    The link hereenclosed allows you to see a typical 3x8 exhaust headers configuration; these are the "extractor exhaust" type for the four valve engine (= same for 308QVs and 328s) of the "euro" cars (No catalysator) seen from the passenger side (you just have to imagine the engine between them, the two banks open at 90°).
    You clearly see the 90° bend of the front exhaust outlet tube to send the gases longitudinally to the intermediary paipe and the exhaust silencer at the rear, and the convoluted doubling of the rear manifold outlet tube.
    The parts you have certainly do not look like these; so your parts are clearly not from a transcerse V8; so not 3x8...
    Rgds

http://www.supertweaks.com/ferrari/ferrari-exhausts/ferrari-308-328-exhausts/ferrari-308-328-quicksilver-exhausts/ferrari-328-quicksilver-exhaust-manifolds-and-pipes

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Assuming the one pictured in the first post is the right-hand header, here's a comparison with a 348 RH header. Note the mount flanges are opposite and the ports are not quite oval enough (as the 348).

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #15 finnerty, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Assuming it's indeed for a Ferrari (seems most likely).....

I concur with these engine characteristics ----

V8
    Longitudinal mount
    4-valve heads
    Ovalized ports (slightly)

But, the biggest discriminator ---- that so far no one has mentioned ---- is the 4-into-2 (collector pipes) configuration.

The only production Ferrari model I know of that has all those features is the 355. As for which variant, the M2.7, M5.2, or the Challenge..... I do not know. But, I'm quite certain it's a 355 header.

The fact that the 2 final collector pipes are parallel to each other, as opposed to in a "Y" configuration, may indicate it's for a non-cat or non-bypass downstream exhaust system ---- so perhaps a "Challenge" or track-only version ??

Also, the slip joints strongly suggest "race" car to me ---- never seen manifolds from any road car use them. So, if it's NOT for a Ferrari, it could be for any number of different inline 4-cylinder or V-8 race engines (Ford, Cosworth, Toyota, etc.)

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    As well, FWIW, the absence of EGR take-off ports and tubes further suggests a race / track-only application.

I'd contact the folks at Tubi.

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #17 finnerty, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    HA !

I just noticed that this is NOT a single piece header !

It is in fact a matched pair of (2) separate headers (held together just with the zipties) ---- each with a 2-into-1 collector.

Now, based on that, I am absolutely convinced that this a race car application.

With that in mind, I would not rule out the possibility of one of the many 4-valve 308s that were modified into purpose-built race cars ----- as most had their engines re-oriented longitudinally and mounted to (non-Ferrari OE) straight gearboxes (such as the G50 / Hewland).

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The collector configuration is one reason why I didn't include the F430, although the ports and flanges appear to be the same (in photos :D ). The lack of O2 sensor ports for the engine management was a disqualifier as well.

19. sdd5317

sdd5317 Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Scott Douthit
    So do you think these are for the F430?

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think the O2 sensor ports on street Ferraris are usually after the merge collector, before and after the catalysts. The ports on the exhaust manifolds is for using an exhaust analyzer?

22. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If this is for a 355, as the signs have pointed, then whoever ran this on a car didn't use the bypass pipe. There must have been some sort of custom cat-delete pipes to merge the collectors all into one pipe before whatever muffling device was installed.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'd say the same from my experience - the O2 sensor is downstream from the headers. However, these, for the F430, are a bit different. Well, they certainly look like O2 ports (considering my limited knowledge of the F430).

https://www.atsautomobilegallery.com/ferrari-f430-exhaust-header
    https://www.bn-imports.com/soul-ferrari/ferrari-f430-competition-headers
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/360/exhaust.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sure does! On the 355 there is a sample port for each cylinder on the exhaust manifold

25. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    >bump<

Hey Scott, did you ever get this mystery solved ?