Help in Importing a 1966 from CA to New Jersey | FerrariChat

Help in Importing a 1966 from CA to New Jersey

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ASG 86TR, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    My brother just had delivered a 1966 Shelby 350 from CA last week. He is trying to register it in NJ, and is getting all sorts of crap. The car has a CA title and was a US car when built and in the US except for the last 6 mo.

Does anyone know how and what is needed to register the car. Do we need Customs release, Some sort of EPA/DOT release (Even on a 1966).

What does it take and can one get a temp paper plate from NJ while we work on this so he can drive the car.

Thanks
    Adam

2. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    All you need is the title, signed by the previous owner, and proof of insurance. It sounds like you ran into a difficult bureaucrat, no surprise at a NJ DMV. Your best bet is to go to a different DMV. Seriously. I've done this on a number of occassions. As soon as I hear, "We need to call Trenton," or "We can't help you," I just gather my paperwork and go to a different office. Or, return to the same office on another day and hope to get another person.

Also, don't try to register it as a historic or collector's car off the bat - they can't deal with that. Register it normally, as a standard passenger automobile. Then, once you're in the system, call Trenton for the paperwork to re-register as a historic or collector car, have them mail it to you, and deal with the more "exotic" registration via mail directly to Trenton. Hope this helps.

3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Also, if you have the CA title, and there is no mention of it being out of the country, there is no reason to bring that up - that will just utterly confuse them. If the car is already in the country, and there is a clear CA title, it seems there would be no need to mention its foreign provenance. Does the title have any identifier that it was out of the country for a period?

4. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    Hes right.. Try a different MV office. What part of NJ are you in? North, Central, South? South Plainfield is a good office, Rahway isnt bad. Newark is decent. They see so much fugasi crrap there, that if you walk in with a legit CA title, proof of insurance and 6 points of ID for yourself (goto the NJ MVS website for a list) with a car like that, i cant imagine theyd bust your chops. If you persist with problems, PM me and ill try to help you a little more.

Also, like Desmo said if you have a current, clean CA title, dont even mention the out of country part... Isnt their business. You just need to flip a CA title to NJ ownership.

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    As stated, if you have the CA title, signed by the previous owner, and a current insurance policy number (you don't even need proof of insurance), and the necessary documents to prove who you are (i.e., your NJ driver's license), you can register the car at any DMV office. And as far as registering the car directly as a historic or classic, no problem. I've done it many times. For historic plates, go right to the DMV office in Trenton. Not the main office, but the one in the Voorhees building on East State Street. They'll register it and give you QQ plates right on the spot. Classic registration, which avoids inspection like historic, you can do at any DMV office, but you'll probably have to speak to a supervisor. The dummies at the desk who hand out the paperwork won't know what you're talking about. They'll give you the papers for historic plates.

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Adam... its late Fri night... I'll call you in the morning. I have some specific info for you.

Greg

7. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Thanks for the help guy's...I think I should have spelled out CA=Canada not Kalifornia.

That may make it a bit more difficult.

8. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Oh. You're screwed.

Just kidding! I know it's possible, but I don't know the exact mechanics of the deal. It would definitely require a call in advance to Trenton to find out the exact forms NJ requiires.