HELP! major system failure!? | FerrariChat

HELP! major system failure!?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Snaponjackson, Dec 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    The wife and I were just out for a short drive in my 2014 f12 Berlinetta and after
    about an hour and just cruising along about 40 mph, I get 5 warnings and car
    won't run over 33mph. Here is the warning list that I have.
    ESC sys failure
    AVH sys failure
    ABS sys failure
    Manettino failure
    E-diff recovery
    Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what might have happened?
    Could sue use some help.
    Thanks, Chris

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is probably an issue of one of the components of one of the systems in the car. It could be as simple a a defective brake light switch, or a wheel speed sensor. The ABS system needs these inputs to function correctly. It is constantly communicating with all of the ECU's that control all of the other systems that are looking for information that the ABS system provides (brakes being applied or vehicle speed). If these other systems don't get this information, then there will be CAN line fault codes stored in the ECU for each of these systems. When a critical bit of information like no brake pedal input or vehicle speed is missing, then the car will go into a fail-safe mode that allow limited operation (no operation over 33MPH, etc.).
    A smart technician with a Ferrari specific diagnostic computer (not a generic OBDII code reader) will have to look at all of the fault codes stored in the various ECU's in the car in order to determine the root cause of the problem. It can be a little overwhelming as something like a defective brake light switch can cause multiple fault codes to be stored in many systems/ECU's in the car. The tech has to determine what is the root cause of the issue and what fault came first, causing all of the other faults in the car.
    It is probably something very simple, but may be difficult to diagnose.

Do not disconnect the battery to try to reset the systems in the car (as some members on this forum will recommend), as this will erase all of the fault codes in the ECU's, making diagnosis of the problem difficult/impossible.

Qavion, brian.s and tbakowsky like this.
  3. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    Great information. Thanks so much.
    (I guess it's back to Detroit we go)

4. pawelproudowicz

Aug 3, 2017
    Did you sort it out? Have the same issue

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These cars will make it seem like the sky is falling when all you have is a loose gas cap. Done by design to freak out the owner.

LARRYH, tomberlin and NYC Fred like this.
  6. pfenaroli

pfenaroli Rookie

Apr 7, 2016
    Leawood KS
    Full Name:
    Pail Fenaroli
    Exact same thing here! Man that will stop your heart.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    In my experience, failing to wait five seconds or so after you twist the key to hit the Start button can cause that to happen ... all the various ECUs are powering up and checking in with the main ECU and weird things can happen if you start before they are done so you get that flood of error messages.

The car will beep quietly and rapidly at you a few times when the check is done and it's okay to start.

8. JayEmm

JayEmm Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    James Martin
    Hey all, I am sorry to revive this thread but I am having the exact same problems as the OP in my 2013 F12 - go over a bump, all the warnings above, won't go over 33 - then turn it off, drive a minute, turn it off and hey presto it drives fine again for the rest of the day.

A few people have mentioned the problem but I haven't seen anyone say what the cause/fix was - is it the gearbox pressure sensor, and if so what was the $ damage?

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Tons of new ecu errors are usually linked to a faulty voltage supply: not all sensors do have a built-in voltage regulator, so once the battery is to low or cannot smooth out the alternator ripple, the sensors feedback is messed-up which plays havoc with the ECU.

So if lots of error suddenly happen, that's the battery that I investigate first. If your issue occurred on a bump, I would also check the ground connections.

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. JayEmm

JayEmm Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    James Martin
    The battery is absolutely on my hit-list but in my experience it is odd for battery related errors to appear after an hour of driving - usually they're on startup when the voltage dips no?

MountuneMr375 likes this.
  11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As said bad ground should be invetigated: in ine of my vintage car the engine to frame ground was so bad that the current was flowing through the accelerator cable! It was hot...

Depending on how the motor /transmission is shaked this could worsen the issue (?)

Qavion likes this.
  12. JayEmm

JayEmm Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    James Martin
    Yep a loose cable is a theory (in my non technical brain) - the issue happened both times as the car went over a bump

13. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Likely a brake switch. common issue.

tbakowsky likes this.
  14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have heard water gets trapped in the back hatch of these causing a brake switch failure, as in, the peg of the switch itself gets partially and/or fully stuck in the in position.

Part number is 201957. Same switch as F430. Cheap too

15. JayEmm

JayEmm Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    James Martin
    How does water in the back of the car cause the brake switch (assuming you're talking about the one under the pedal) to fail? I thought they were two separate issues

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That I can't tell you. One can assume inadequate insulation or isolation of the switch in general. This is just a common failure point on these for whatever reason, but not the 430 which uses the same switch

17. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012

18. AK1

AK1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2012
    Hey buddy, did you figure it out. I have a 2016 f12 that had that issue a couple of years ago, the dealer said it was a dirty sensor. I barely drive it. I had it serviced 2 months ago no issues. Today I took it for an hour and a half ride, everything was fine. I used the front lift. Then 10 minutes later esc failuire avh failure manetino failure. Please update. Thanks

19. JayEmm

JayEmm Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    James Martin
    It was a wheel speed sensor. About £300 to fix

Qavion likes this.